Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
July 4th Celebrations
Want some inexpensive entertainment ?   Go sit near a boat ramp somewhere   Big Grin . 

If you are planning on getting on the water anywhere, take this photo seriously.........

[Image: stupid-boat-owners.jpg]

Be safe and have a fun Independence weekend     Cool 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
LOL, I know that this happens very seldom, but just often enough to make you wonder if you should have to get a boat launching license before you are allowed to use one.   Wink
(07-01-2021, 09:21 PM)Anglinarcher Wrote: LOL, I know that this happens very seldom, but just often enough to make you wonder if you should have to get a boat launching license before you are allowed to use one.   Wink

Or, for launching, require a combat helmet and flak jacket instead of a PFD.
[Image: 5xnDNDV.gif]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(07-01-2021, 08:26 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Want some inexpensive entertainment ?   Go sit near a boat ramp somewhere   Big Grin . 

If you are planning on getting on the water anywhere, take this photo seriously.........

When sitting at the ramp watching the free show this weekend remember the following
A shade to sit under
A cooler of your favorite beverage
Your 0-10 flashcards so you can rate each load and unload
A timer so anyone taking over 5 minutes on the ramp has to go back to the end of the line
Hearing protection so you do not have to be exposed to the things a spouse can call his mate during that exercise.
Lastly your flag to show your patriotism
Be safe it's a jungle out there
(07-02-2021, 12:35 PM)lifeshort Wrote:
(07-01-2021, 08:26 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Want some inexpensive entertainment ?   Go sit near a boat ramp somewhere   Big Grin . 

When sitting at the ramp watching the free show this weekend remember the following
A shade to sit under
A timer so anyone taking over 5 minutes on the ramp has to go back to the end of the line
Hearing protection so you do not have to be exposed to the things a spouse can call his mate during that exercise.

Great ideas  Big Grin  

(07-01-2021, 11:40 PM)dubob Wrote: [Image: 5xnDNDV.gif]

Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid............ Confused

(07-01-2021, 09:21 PM)Anglinarcher Wrote: LOL, I know that this happens very seldom, but just often enough to make you wonder if you should have to get a boat launching license before you are allowed to use one.   Wink

I think boat operators should be required to get training and a license just like drivers of cars, trucks, motorcycles, big rig trucks, and pilots. 

I've seen this reported here in Utah at least once this year, and seems once or twice every year.  So it isn't as rare as it should be.  

Cool
Speaking of celebrating;   Big Grin

[Image: 3078c2648c4753cebeffc06acf5da691-skbxFA.jpg]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Dont need another license and fee from the state,
I support the license, if for nothing else than ramp etiquette and wake management/responsibilities, but no fee.
A registered boat shouldn’t even have to pay to launch at a State facility.
Do you pay each time to drive your registered car down your subdivision street each time you use it?
(07-03-2021, 11:32 PM)MrShane Wrote: I support the license, if for nothing else than ramp etiquette and wake management/responsibilities, but no fee.
A registered boat shouldn’t even have to pay to launch at a State facility.
Do you pay each time to drive your registered car down your subdivision street each time you use it?

https://www.boatus.org/

I think Washington State did something pretty smart and I hate Washington State so that opinion almost choked me to write.

They require a one time Coast Guard Approved class that can be taken on line (see above link) or from private or coast guard instructors that you pay per their requirements.  Once you get the certificate of completion, you apply to the state for a life-time "license" that allows you to operate a boat, including launching, in the State.  It is required of Residents and Non-Residents.  If I recall correctly, when I got mine it was only about $35, but that was some years ago.  But, say it is $100 now, for a lifetime license that is pretty cheep. 

I will bet that almost none of you (I'll admit that I might need a refresher to get a 100%) could pass the test without taking the course.  Do you know on what side you pass an oncoming boat (on a road we in the US pass on the right side, or Starboard, but how about the water?). 

If you are passing a boat from behind, what audio signals are you to use to let the boat know you are approaching, and on what side you will be passing?  (Can't remember that one myself right now). 

How close to a boat anchored or slow moving boat are you allowed to run a boat on plane by?

What is the procedure for ????????????? well you get the point.

The on-line class takes about 4 hours, if you are a fast "book learner".  The physical classes given in person can take two days, 4 hours each.

I guess that this is my idea of a license.  Trust me, it would take several years to phase in, but the State would make a ton of money on fines at each and every launch point for each boater that failed to get the license.  LOL
I wasn't aware of the system that Washington has, and I don't ever plan  to operate a boat there. But I took that online Coast Guard boating course several years ago. I even paid for and received the certificate. But as many boat owners in this state have proven that they either don't know those things, don't care, or have mostly forgotten the rules of the water, I just do my best to stay out of their path, and avoid being swamped.   Of course, much of that boating  course pertains to boating off shore, or very large bodies of fresh like Great Lakes.  Since there isn't any off shore sea water close by in this state (Great Salt Lake don't really count) having that USCG Certificate is just a kind of nice to have thing.

Cool
(07-02-2021, 12:35 PM)lifeshort Wrote:

A shade to sit under

I never go out in the jungle during that time frame.
pat b nails it again
[Image: 0704210902.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
oh and pay per miles toll road styles is coming as it should
cant really expect to fund the roads for e-cars by making others pay more gas tax
after 20 now if i git another 10 or 20 outta the boat, human powered style, i will have saved more not having to register it
than i paid for it.
sometimes i think i could catch more fish with a motor and electronics
most times i dont matter to me
happy holidays of independence earned
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Here is a pic of a fun holiday boating trip.

[Image: grounded-boat.jpg]
I kept hoping that was a boat that was anchored up and left for a week and the water went down, but, doesn't really look that way.

I guess it had to happen.