Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Minersville reg change
As of today you can use bait and keep 4 trout of any size.

Tentatively going back to one fish no bait in Nov.
This article says the change is limited to ten waters.

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports...451922002/
Starting today at Minersville.

They are getting pounded as we type.
Less trout more smallmouth!
(07-02-2021, 12:35 AM)castnshoot Wrote: Starting today at Minersville.

They are getting pounded as we type.
Yeah Dad's there now and there is 7 trucks and a camper setup in the cove by the dam hammering them. Just increasing the limit would have saved some fish from being hooked deep and released because it wasn't big enough to keep in there eye's. This is going to be real bad for this fishery. 

He also said the water is not going down hardly at all so the is uncalled for at this time. 

fnf Angry
Actually what they are doing is trying to save a base population of trout by thinning them out.

There are currently way too many trout in the lake for the conditions.

At the water levels and temps that we have right now the over population
will likely cause a complete die off from starvation induced stress that makes the algie blooms, and low oxygen levels that are yet to come unsurvivable for all the trout.

If it works there should be some jumbos survive, it will take a couple of years of at least close to average annual moisture to bring it back to what could be considered a trophy trout fishery.

I for one am not going to second guess this move. You really have to hand it to the biologists
that have managed Minersville for the last several years. 

They have done an absolutely fabulous job.
(07-02-2021, 12:12 AM)castnshoot Wrote: As of today you can use bait and keep 4 trout of any size.

Tentatively going back to one fish no bait in Nov.

Well that is great news for a certain Utah fishing show.
Thinking about hitting it this coming weekend if I get a morning free from scouting, how's the fishing been since the limit change?
I was at Minersville over the weekend with my boat, launching was good but it was Sad to see the deepest water I could find near the dam was 19' with surface temps of 72 I am no biologist but I cant see Rainbow trout surviving well as it gets lower, marked spots on GPS at 10am and same spots at 7pm were over 1 foot lower. I also noticed over a dozen dead good sized trout floating not sure if they were released fish that didnt survive or had died due to water conditions.
(07-06-2021, 06:21 PM)Trolling71 Wrote: I was at Minersville over the weekend with my boat, launching was good but it was Sad to see the deepest water I could find near the dam was 19' with surface temps of 72 I am no biologist but I cant see Rainbow trout surviving well as it gets lower, marked spots on GPS at 10am and same spots at 7pm were over 1 foot lower. I also noticed over a dozen dead good sized trout floating not sure if they were released fish that didnt survive or had died due to water conditions.
That is a typical water level for this time of year. Now the heat we are having is not at all typical. They were released with there guts ripped out. My dad is seeing no mortality fly fishing. He said there fighting hard and there going right back down during the release. In years past he has seen when there stressed from getting caught, but this year they are doing very well.
(07-06-2021, 06:21 PM)Trolling71 Wrote: I was at Minersville over the weekend with my boat, launching was good but it was Sad to see the deepest water I could find near the dam was 19' with surface temps of 72 I am no biologist but I cant see Rainbow trout surviving well as it gets lower, marked spots on GPS at 10am and same spots at 7pm were over 1 foot lower. I also noticed over a dozen dead good sized trout floating not sure if they were released fish that didnt survive or had died due to water conditions.

You are spot on. Surface temps of 72* F and only 19ft of water means very little coldwater refuge for trout. Will be a very difficult summer for Minersville rainbows.

Water starts to lose it's ability to hold sufficient oxygen for trout at 67* F... they can survive above that, but cannot thrive above that. Fighting trout on fly gear for example will stress them beyond repair in most cases. They simply cannot extract enough dissolved oxygen to recover. Even fish that swim off seemingly normal are already experiencing a glazing over of their gills and will nose-dive to their death.

Now more than ever C&R anglers need to be carrying/using thermometers to get readings on surface temps. Most stillwater anglers pull the plug at 65* F and give the fish a break. River anglers get away with slightly higher temps (67* F) as the riffle action helps with oxygen levels.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
It is 8:30 am as I type. I am on the porch with the spotting scope. There are 15 vehicles around the coves across the lake. The shore is lined with people baitfishing, and they are yanking them out. Even more down by the dam. I am thinking about going down and joint in on the action.
Wish I could of made it! A snapped axle in my side by side changed my weekend