Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glendale :)
Well what a day if i say so myself.  I finally got out after not being able to get around since March. I decided to go to Glendale because with this drought, it will dry up fast.  And I was right, the boat dock probably has about a week left before it's beached for the year. You will be able to launch from the ramp but for some it will be tough to get in n out of boat and launch. 

Fishing was mediocre. Only got a couple crappie but nice size, around 12". Ended up with a couple bluegill, a nice 22" bow and 6 nice perch average was also 12". Almost everything was in the 17 - 22 ft water as the surface temp was 73 degrees so they were down where it was a bit cooler. I'm used to bringing 30-35 crappie home for the summer but not this year. I was the only one on the water until I got off at noon then the skiers started showing up but it was a great morning on the water. I marked a lot of fish but, just not the right color jigs.

One thing that I was really surprised on, was the number of large mouth bass I caught.  I normally catch a few but yesterday, I caught and released 9 of them. All were 13-15 inch range. And they too were right on the bottom. Always fun catching a nice large mouth on light crappie tackle Smile  So, if anyone wants some pan fish, I'd be hitting the water while there still is some.  Only draw back to driving to Glendale is having to go to Franklin to get state inspection on boat then back track to Glendale to launch and pay their $20 bucks to catch fish that we already pay for. 

Everyone enjoy the 4th and becareful on the water.  There will be all kinds of crazies out this weekend. Be safe n sain Smile
That sounds like a great day, glad to see you got out. Sadly, I'm afraid there's going to be quite a few reservoirs that'll be very low by the end of the summer.
Except for the high fee to launch and having to get your boat inspected prior to launch, it sounds like a good trip and that 22" bow was a bonus. Glad you were finally able to get out for some fishing. Have you ever caught a bow that big at Glendale before?
(07-04-2021, 12:37 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Except for the high fee to launch and having to get your boat inspected prior to launch, it sounds like a good trip and that 22" bow was a bonus. Glad you were finally able to get out for some fishing. Have you ever caught a bow that big at Glendale before?

Thanks wiper, and yes I have, Ive caught several bigger.  My biggest was 32" and weighed in at just under 6 lbs. They are in there and have caught them all on crappie jigs.  They particularly like a hot pink rubber jig either trolling with it or slow jig. These are always fun on light panfish tackle, 4lb line and light rod/reel Smile

This one I caught on my last cast of the day back in 2010

[Image: Photo256.jpg]
Wow, that thing is a toad, I had no idea bows got that big in that lake. I bet they are a handful on light tackle like that. In a good water year, what is the Max depth of Glendale when full?
(07-04-2021, 01:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that thing is a toad, I had no idea bows got that big in that lake. I bet they are a handful on light tackle like that. In a good water year, what is the Max depth of Glendale when full?

Thanks, like I said, ive landed a handful like that and lost that many more. It is a hoot when you tag into one. I am not totally sure on the depth but, I believe its somewhere around 100 ft give or take a bit near the dam. I know its pretty shallow at the upper end, probably less than 6' where the creek enters it. Ive fished it when it was really low in the fall and it gets pretty narrow/deep when it gets really low.
100 ft is pretty deep at full pool, I guess even in these low water years it still doesn't get too shallow, good to know, thanks.
(07-02-2021, 10:59 AM)duksnfish Wrote: Well what a day if i say so myself.  I finally got out after not being able to get around since March. I decided to go to Glendale because with this drought, it will dry up fast.  And I was right, the boat dock probably has about a week left before it's beached for the year. You will be able to launch from the ramp but for some it will be tough to get in n out of boat and launch. 

Fishing was mediocre. Only got a couple crappie but nice size, around 12". Ended up with a couple bluegill, a nice 22" bow and 6 nice perch average was also 12". Almost everything was in the 17 - 22 ft water as the surface temp was 73 degrees so they were down where it was a bit cooler. I'm used to bringing 30-35 crappie home for the summer but not this year. I was the only one on the water until I got off at noon then the skiers started showing up but it was a great morning on the water. I marked a lot of fish but, just not the right color jigs.

One thing that I was really surprised on, was the number of large mouth bass I caught.  I normally catch a few but yesterday, I caught and released 9 of them. All were 13-15 inch range. And they too were right on the bottom. Always fun catching a nice large mouth on light crappie tackle Smile  So, if anyone wants some pan fish, I'd be hitting the water while there still is some.  Only draw back to driving to Glendale is having to go to Franklin to get state inspection on boat then back track to Glendale to launch and pay their $20 bucks to catch fish that we already pay for. 

Everyone enjoy the 4th and becareful on the water.  There will be all kinds of crazies out this weekend. Be safe n sain Smile
Thanks for the info on Glendale, I have a 3 day fishing license and was wondering how launching a boat there would be I guess I will find another area to try, I have until the end of the year to use my license. How come so much to launch a boat there? I don't think I have ever paid to launch a boat in Idaho, but I usually fish Anderson or CJ with an occasional trip to Cascade.
(07-20-2021, 02:06 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:
(07-02-2021, 10:59 AM)duksnfish Wrote: Well what a day if i say so myself.  I finally got out after not being able to get around since March. I decided to go to Glendale because with this drought, it will dry up fast.  And I was right, the boat dock probably has about a week left before it's beached for the year. You will be able to launch from the ramp but for some it will be tough to get in n out of boat and launch. 

Thanks for the info on Glendale, I have a 3 day fishing license and was wondering how launching a boat there would be I guess I will find another area to try, I have until the end of the year to use my license. How come so much to launch a boat there? I don't think I have ever paid to launch a boat in Idaho, but I usually fish Anderson or CJ with an occasional trip to Cascade.
The fee was put into place by the canal company about 10 years ago supposedly to help stop from getting the zebra and quagga mussels into their water system.  What it did was drastically reduce the number of boat users on the water and the counts verified it out. And, it was/is a double whammy because if you comply with the State of Idaho invasive sticker and species programs, you will be scott free anyhow. But, the public and many other groups and agencies tried to get some common sense into this but we lost so that is what we live with. 

But, here's an update on Glendale being open to boats.  I sent a message down to the operator of the Facebook page, Franklin County Reservoir Alliance which is basically operated by the Consolidated Canal Company who owns Glendale and other reservoirs down there, and I was told that they are going to try and stay open through the 24th of July, this coming weekend, but after that it sounded like they were going to shut everything down due to low water.  But, best thing to do is to go onto FB and check out their page and it should be updated with current info. As for Twin Lakes, I am not sure what they are going to be doing, but, you can have great fishing for panfish over there too and they do inspections on site and it costs a bit less to launch there if there is water there too. 

Here is the link to Twin Lakes which has up to date info from what I can tell - http://twinlakescanalcompany.com/recreation.html  Good luck
(07-21-2021, 12:14 PM)duksnfish Wrote:
(07-20-2021, 02:06 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:

The fee was put into place by the canal company about 10 years ago supposedly to help stop from getting the zebra and quagga mussels into their water system.  What it did was drastically reduce the number of boat users on the water and the counts verified it out. And, it was/is a double whammy because if you comply with the State of Idaho invasive sticker and species programs, you will be scott free anyhow. But, the public and many other groups and agencies tried to get some common sense into this but we lost so that is what we live with. 

But, here's an update on Glendale being open to boats.  I sent a message down to the operator of the Facebook page, Franklin County Reservoir Alliance which is basically operated by the Consolidated Canal Company who owns Glendale and other reservoirs down there, and I was told that they are going to try and stay open through the 24th of July, this coming weekend, but after that it sounded like they were going to shut everything down due to low water.  But, best thing to do is to go onto FB and check out their page and it should be updated with current info. As for Twin Lakes, I am not sure what they are going to be doing, but, you can have great fishing for panfish over there too and they do inspections on site and it costs a bit less to launch there if there is water there too. 

Here is the link to Twin Lakes which has up to date info from what I can tell - http://twinlakescanalcompany.com/recreation.html  Good luck

Thanks for the info, "Tight Lines"
Franklin County Reservoir Alliance just posted on Facebook this statement on Glendale - "The water level in the Glendale reservoir has reached a point that the dock is exposed.  It will be closed to boats on the evening of  monday July 26."  Looks like things are coming to an end sooner than we want on fishing. Sad