Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lincoln Beach with BLK 7-2-21
Thanks to Covid, never got in the boat with BLK at all last year.  But we both got double vaccinated early this year.  And we finally ran out of excuses for not fishing together again.   So it was on for yesterday morning at Lincoln Beach.  Air temp was a comfy 68 at 6 am...but warming to 88 by the time we got off the water just after 11.  Water temps were 77-78.

Won't be long until any size boat will not be able to launch at Lincoln Beach.  Water level in the channel is dropping fast and is down to about 2.5 feet.  But it was just enough for a boat with a couple of old geezers to make it in and out yesterday.

Couldn't have asked for a nicer day weatherwise.  Broken clouds made for a purty sunrise and kept the radiant heat of the sun down until mid morning.  Only the lightest of breezes with periods of absolute glassy calm.  A rarity on the old brown pond.  We did see one little cloud dropping rain on Provo and moving up Provo Canyon.  Oh yeah, water clarity was not bad either...especially compared to the wind-stirred conditions I found at Lindon on Tuesday.

We started out dragging minnows and white bass pieces for catfish out off the springs, where Lynn had good action last week.  Saw a few marks in about 8 feet of water and that's where we worked for the first couple of hours.  I hafta give props to Lynn for being a gracious host and fishing guide.  He let me catch the first 5 fish.  What a guy.  But I told him to go ahead and get started...and that it was okay with me if he caught the biggest fish of the day.

When the slow fishing shut down all together, we made a move to an area on the flats SE of the boat channel.  Found nothing in shallower water and moved gradually out to about 4-5 feet.   Game on.  We worked around that area for the rest of the morning and both caught a good number of cats.  Most of our fish were "standard" Utah Lake kitties...most in the early 20 inch range, with some going to about 26".  But BLK brought in our biggest of the morning at 29".  And just to show my gratitude for the fine outing...and not wanting to oust BLK from his big fish position...I kept shaking off the 30" plus fish that were trying to get me to catch them.

It was glassy calm as we brought in the rods and headed for the ramp.  We were really pleasantly surprised at how few other boats had hit the lake.  There were a very few angler boats and only a couple of ski or wakeboard boats before we left.  I'm sure it got busier as the power squadron part of the day approached.

Thanks, ol' buddy, for a most pleasant day on the water.  Always a pleasure to share a boat with ya...especially when you insist on me catching a lot of fish.
Nobody likes fishing with a fish-hog and that is what I had to put up with for the first couple of hours of our trip. It is tough to watch passenger catch fish after fish while waiting for my own first bite. I was beginning think my role for the day was going to be limited to netting Pat's fish. When I finally found a willing cat Pat had caught and released 5 or 6. Fortunately, I finally started picking up a few but never did come close to matching Pat's numbers. He caught the most fish but I caught the biggest one: a draw.  Most of the fish we caught were healthy and fat, only two ugly and beat up males -- both caught by Pat. Sad

It was a really good morning for fishing, great weather and good company. We agreed to do it again but next trip will probably be a tube/kayak affair. Thanks Pat.

BLK
When ya said two ugly old beat up males i thought maybe it was the fishermen you were referring to - did I just say that out loud - Cookie actually boxed my ears for that one.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(07-03-2021, 09:12 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: When ya said two ugly old beat up males i thought maybe it was the fishermen you were referring to - did I just say that out loud - Cookie actually boxed my ears for that one.

Appreciate your immoral support, Cookie.

Actually, the catfish were probably in better shape than the fishermen.