Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proximity law
(07-10-2021, 03:29 PM)fishgiver Wrote: Park rangers are going to enforce the boating proximity law beginning this weekend, about time!
Now to see how long the enforcement lasts, it has always been the law but is rarely enforced.
This would be an awesome reality but will never happen. Flaming Gorge sections of the lake would be wakeless any time there are two boats or more traveling through through those areas. I'm all for it but know it isn't possible to enforce, regardless how much I would love it. 

In addition, they should change the law, if you have a ballast to create wake in your boat to over 300 feet wakeless proximity to any other vessel. Or just ban them all together ha ha.
(07-10-2021, 03:54 PM)Paddler Wrote: Seems like a difficult enforcement problem.  I don't think your average boater knows or cares about it.

You start enforcing it through tickets and they will.
Sunrise on the water
Last year I was trolling at Flaming Gorge and I had a guy running wide open about 60 feet  from us and I raised my arms up and shook my head in disbelief, I turned around and there was a federal law enforcement boat right there. He came up and asked how far I thought that boat was and he went and ticketed them.

They do enforce it, but not all that often from experience.
Well now its on the news

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news...reservoirs

Still will not help with all the dumb S#(%'s in the big Wakeboard boats.
(07-12-2021, 09:14 PM)big_griggs Wrote: Well now its on the news

To bad COMMON SENSE dont come with with the price on those boats,,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(07-12-2021, 01:54 PM)submoa Wrote:
(07-10-2021, 03:29 PM)fishgiver Wrote: Park rangers are going to enforce the boating proximity law beginning this weekend, about time!
Now to see how long the enforcement lasts, it has always been the law but is rarely enforced.
This would be an awesome reality but will never happen. Flaming Gorge sections of the lake would be wakeless any time there are two boats or more traveling through through those areas. I'm all for it but know it isn't possible to enforce, regardless how much I would love it. 

In addition, they should change the law, if you have a ballast to create wake in your boat to over 300 feet wakeless proximity to any other vessel. Or just ban them all together ha ha.

I like that idea.  Maybe they could ban wakeboard boats on smaller waters or those areas narrower than a given distance.  Those things are vicious.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
(07-12-2021, 09:40 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:

My son is getting ready to 15 (heaven forbid) and taking pretest for learners permit and as I drive and teach him things and he's starting to point out things on the road and water I keep telling him one thing that is my mantra "You can't fix stupid!"
(07-12-2021, 12:18 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote:   I also believe that somehow the skiers and wakeboarders think that it is their obligation to impress us simple minded fisherman, swimmers, etc.

This. I'm sure in their mind, they look like the coolest people on the planet.
(07-13-2021, 02:17 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote:
(07-12-2021, 09:40 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:

My son is getting ready to 15 (heaven forbid) and taking pretest for learners permit and as I drive and teach him things and he's starting to point out things on the road and water I keep telling him one thing that is my mantra "You can't fix stupid!"

I hear you after having gone through 2 teen daughters driving if we don't teach them right the first time we fail as parents LOL  but true enough you really can fix stupid.  The only way to fix stupid is to remove stupid from the gene pool.  (not our kids, The stupid Boaters) lol  Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I can explain their behavior and lack of courtesy in one sentence:

A brain is required as part of the down payment on a wakeboat.
to the slight positive side the automatic jigging action provided by the two foot wakeboard rollers has caught two of my biggest kokanee. My boat is a deep V with three foot gunwales so I can ride the waves out. Had a wakeboard boat start to pull about 30 feet from me today. They politely waved as the wake rocked my boat. At least we don't have the crowd who thinks a 55 foot Chris Craft is suitable for a lake. Dealt with that in MN.
Good to see a news report on it but how about a quick explanation on the LAW !! Better than the interview they did where they just fluffed by it and mentioned stay 150 feet away!!
How about it is ILLEGAL to travel faster than wakeless speed within 150 feet of other boats, shore anglers, swimmers, paddle boarders, docks etc!!! Tickets will be issued!!!
They mention proximity law, but nobody seems to know what that is!! EXPLAIN IT!
Missed opportunity to educate the ignorant ones!!
Better something than nothing at least.
Any attention is better than nothing!!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(07-13-2021, 10:22 PM)Mildog Wrote: Good to see a news report on it but how about a quick explanation on the LAW !! Better than the interview they did where they just fluffed by it and mentioned stay 150 feet away!!
How about it is ILLEGAL to travel faster than wakeless speed within 150 feet of other boats, shore anglers, swimmers, paddle boarders, docks etc!!! Tickets will be issued!!!
They mention proximity law, but nobody seems to know what that is!! EXPLAIN IT!
Missed opportunity to educate the ignorant ones!!
Better something than nothing at least.
Any attention is better than nothing!!

There are signs on both sides of the ramp at Jordanelle explaining the proximity rule.  No excuse for any boat owner not knowing and following the law.  I'll be taking a camera with a long lens next time to Jordanelle, the better to document registration numbers.  It might be worth an hour or so to document violations and so demonstrate how pervasive the problem really is.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
the camera is the best recourse
Ive had some run ins with slednecks coming over from snake creek and dry fk into little and big cottonwood canyons
Even though they know their not allowed there
they tend to git mouthy
till ya start taking snow machine registration numbers pictures
then they shut up quick and go back to where theyre allowed
Same with continuing to allow poorly equipped non 4x4 without snow tires or chains to travel 190 and 210 in snowy weather
If you dont place checkers be it leos or rent a cop to stop them
they will not self police themselves and obey the laws
and if you dont ticket and deter them they just continue to do it
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom