Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue ribbon day at Utah Lake
Richard and I decided we hadn't been over to the Knowles since last year, and decided to give it a try.

We were on the water by 6:00 and the sun rise was spectacular. There was a lot of smoke in the air but it was beautiful.

[Image: Beautiful-sunrise-July-10th-2021.jpg]
We each started the day by catching a 25", and it just got better. I caught a 28.5 incher giving me a half inch bump. We had 5 nice ones by 7:00. 

Then the fun really started. We caught 10 more ranging from 24" - 29.5, these were some of the fattest cats I've ever seen. Every one we caught, we thought was a giant, the way they fought.  I told Richard my arm was sore from reeling fish, would he help me?  He said TOO BAD, so Sad.

From  8:00 to 9:00 Richard caught 7 very nice ones, ranging in size from 26.5" to TWO 29 inchers.  He now had a 4 inch bump to his score  He was kicking my butt.

[Image: Richard-s-29-5-incher-July-10th-2021.jpg] Richard's 29.5 incher.

The quality of the fish was the best I've ever seen. They were all very fat. Around 10:00 things started to slow down. We did manage to catch the smallest cats we had ever caught at 2 - 18 inchers and a 19".

When we finished at noon  we ended up catching 35 very nice cats, of which 20 were 25 inches or bigger.  What an awesome day.  We were both beat by the time we called it quits. I've never worked so hard at having so much fun before.

As we were just about to the marina we caught a picture of this person who must have forgotten the route he used to come to the lake side.
Hope he was able to get his vehicle out, with out too much trouble.

[Image: OOPS-I-forgot-which-way-I-came-in.jpg]
Great report. Glad the kitties were cooperative that day.
Sounds like a memorable day indeed! Thanks for sharing the results and the pictures. You and Richard are having a great year and I'm excited for you. I wish I could get Julie out again. Maybe later on in the summer when things slow down for her.

Keep up the great work!
How was the launching conditions from the shore for a small 14 foot flat bottom on trailer?
(07-13-2021, 03:48 PM)big_griggs Wrote: How was the launching conditions from the shore for a small 14 foot flat bottom on trailer?

Big-- I was at Lincoln this a.m. to play with the white bass and watch all of the goings-on with the the County clean up crew. Saw one long DWR boat launch with no trouble. Three DWR ladies in it doing some kind of important work. Also saw a County Sheriff rubber raft launch and a County airboat. Inquired and they said they had some kind of training going on today. Caught lotsa wb and left about 8:30. Launching should be good for a bit longer. Planning to launch my boat in the next couple of days. Your 14 ft flat bottom should be good to go. 

BLK
(07-13-2021, 04:06 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 03:48 PM)big_griggs Wrote: How was the launching conditions from the shore for a small 14 foot flat bottom on trailer?

Big-- I was at Lincoln this a.m. to play with the white bass and watch all of the goings-on with the the County clean up crew. Saw one long DWR boat launch with no trouble. Three DWR ladies in it doing some kind of important work. Also saw a County Sheriff rubber raft launch and a County airboat. Inquired and they said they had some kind of training going on today. Caught lotsa wb and left about 8:30. Launching should be good for a bit longer. Planning to launch my boat in the next couple of days. Your 14 ft flat bottom should be good to go. 

BLK

Thanks, I was also wondering how the launching was at The Knowles use to be able to back it up and slide it off into the water there.  Wonder how low it is and if its still a little bit mucky.  Most of the west side of the lake is hard bottom but I still see people stuck.  lol
(07-13-2021, 04:22 PM)big_griggs Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 04:06 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote:

BLK

Thanks, I was also wondering how the launching was at The Knowles use to be able to back it up and slide it off into the water there.  Wonder how low it is and if its still a little bit mucky.  Most of the west side of the lake is hard bottom but I still see people stuck.  lol
I have launched my float tube at the Knolls during all seasons and under all kinds of water level conditions.  My guess is that the water level is still well above the attached picture level.  But even at it's lowest, much of the bottom is hard enough...with rocky rubble...that you can back a vehicle to water's edge without risk.  Always a good idea to get out and check carefully on foot before chancing it though.  The big downside if your small craft does not have a shallow draft is that the lake bottom slopes away very gradually and you have to push or wade a long ways from water's edge to get a good float.

I plan to do a recon trip next week in case you haven't gone out before that.

We launched our boat at Lincoln Beach ramp.

I would guess that you could launch at the Knowles but you would have to use some muscle especially if you have a motor attached.
We didn't launch at the Knowles, we launched out of Lincoln beach, and the water was 2.7 inches deep. no problems launching.
Hey, Vi, I'd tease you about saying the water was 2.7 inches deep but I'm not that kind of guy so I won't say anything.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.