Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum washing machine report
My daughter has been signing us up for camping at the state parks and Hyrum was the next spot. We went up on Friday and I took my small fishing pontoon for a ride around the entire lake to see if I could catch anything. I've never fished here before so it was a new learning experience. What I discovered is that the power crew is absolutely crazy on Fridays. I had jet skis cutting in front of me at 20 feet, water ski boats going every which way turning the lake into what felt like paddling around in a big washing machine. No fishies wanted to play, I think they were in hiding. Saturday I got up early and talked to some of the early morning fishermen and they gave me some hints. Did better on Saturday and tried to stay away form the boats. I managed to catch perch and got some of the other fish to hit. My other daughter wanted to go out Saturday evening and try from the bank by camp. We caught some small perch on worm rigs then my daughter caught into a really big fish. She managed to get it close to shore only to have it get tangled up in some weeds. I waded out and untangled it and helped her land the fish. It ended up being an 18 inch large mouth bass. It think everyone in Cache valley heard her. I tried for a while after she left but could only catch small perch. At least it ended well.
(07-11-2021, 10:23 PM)JeepNut Wrote: My daughter has been signing us up for camping at the state parks and Hyrum was the next spot. We went up on Friday and I took my small fishing pontoon for a ride around the entire lake to see if I could catch anything. I've never fished here before so it was a new learning experience. What I discovered is that the power crew is absolutely crazy on Fridays. I had jet skis cutting in front of me at 20 feet, water ski boats going every which way turning the lake into what felt like paddling around in a big washing machine. No fishies wanted to play, I think they were in hiding. Saturday I got up early and talked to some of the early morning fishermen and they gave me some hints. Did better on Saturday and tried to stay away form the boats. I managed to catch perch and got some of the other fish to hit. My other daughter wanted to go out Saturday evening and try from the bank by camp. We caught some small perch on worm rigs then my daughter caught into a really big fish. She managed to get it close to shore only to have it get tangled up in some weeds. I waded out and untangled it and helped her land the fish. It ended up being an 18 inch large mouth bass. It think everyone in Cache valley heard her. I tried for a while after she left but could only catch small perch. At least it ended well.

no doubt the power squadron have found lots of places they get on the water and Lake Powell being so low, the cost of fuel and it being super hot they're keeping closer to home. 

Maybe the reservoirs should have set times for launching - fisherman till noon and play boaters 12-6pm so we can all share in what waters we have.
There have been some nice LMB coming out of Hyrum this year. Glad you got into some fish
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Jil, there are lots of ideas about how to deal with the situation; I think yours is very workable. If they ( the big THEY) can change creel limits they can surely change boating rules. But the will, they would have to have the will. A little time in a little boat on a little lake on a Saturday afternoon might motivate them.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.