Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knolls current conditions 7-14-21
There have been some questions on the current conditions at the Knolls...in terms of launchability, etc.  Fickle weather forecrash altered my plans to fish elsewhere today so I made a recon run to the Knolls...to check it out for a possible tube assault next week.

Found the water still plenty high for launching small craft...like tubes, toons, yaks and light boats.  But at the limited lake access spots (see pics) the water is shallow for a long ways out and there are some good sized rocks just under water to complicate things...especially if you wanna run a motor.

For those who have not visited the Knolls...or if it has been a while...there have been some changes.  Back in 2013 the trashers got the whole Knolls area closed to the public.  But DWR and the Utah Lake Commission worked with the landowners to get at least partial access back for the public.  However, the dirt access roads that were formerly accessible all along the lake have been closed to the public and there is only a limited amount of access available now.  (see the pics)  And as the water levels continue to drop, it will be less practical to launch anything but a tube or toon.

Also attaching a writeup on the Knolls, with some background and fishing info.  Hope it helps.

Attached Files
.pdf   THE KNOLLS 2017.pdf (Size: 1.62 MB / Downloads: 16)
Thanks for the update Pat. It has gotten more difficult to fish from shore there. Can you still walk south along the road? A couple years ago I had some success with cats just north of where the road was fenced and posted for private property. Also increasingly difficult to get to the water through the phragmites and tamarisk.

Last year I tried fishing right there where you were. I would walk out quite a ways, cast out, then feed my line back to shore. I don't think the water was more than a foot or so deep for several hundred feet out. And no luck that day. I may hit Lincoln Beach/Point area this evening, even though its a bit longer to drive.

jack of all tackle, master of none
(07-14-2021, 06:04 PM)joatmon Wrote: Thanks for the update Pat.  It has gotten more difficult to fish from shore there.  Can you still walk south along the road?  A couple years ago I had some success with cats just north of where the road was fenced and posted for private property.  Also increasingly difficult to get to the water through the phragmites and tamarisk.

Last year I tried fishing right there where you were.  I would walk out quite a ways, cast out, then feed my line back to shore.  I don't think the water was more than a foot or so deep for several hundred feet out.  And no luck that day.  I may hit Lincoln Beach/Point area this evening, even though its a bit longer to drive.
The land owners are pretty adamant about no public access...motorized or foot traffic...outside of the agreed upon access areas.  I also used to have some good spots north of the current access area.  I can still reach them in my tube but it was nicer to be able to drive up and make some casts from shore...and there were some spots where there was deeper water close to the water line.

There are still anglers who wade out a long ways and then fan cast around them.  But with the low water conditions you have to wade halfway across the lake to reach any depth.  I launch my tube, go straight out to at least 3-4 feet of water and then move westerly towards the point.  The water depth drops off quickly off that point and makes it possible to fish deeper water closer to shore.  But, of course, that is NO TRESPASSING for bank tanglers.

The water level at Lincoln Point is dropping enough that you should be able to get out onto the rock shelves in front of the springs.  The water there drops off into about 5 feet of water fairly quickly if you can get out on those shelves.  I've caught a lot of fish there.
Good info Pat and, as usual, very well presented.

Before the barrier was set in place on the west end I used to drive to the fenced property line to launch my kayak. It was not uncommon to have to search for a parking place for my truck because so many people had parked there to climb the fence (sign? what sign??) and walk down to the rocky point. It was not uncommon to see several groups fishing from the shore there. During high water times they had several spots cleared of reeds/frags to allow for a hefty cast. I have also seen people hike down from the feeder roads (private) SW of the point. Something I have never seen or heard of is anyone being cited for trespassing or littering in that area. I believe most people do not consider their trespassing to be any kind of a risk, and they are probably right. If you have no respect for private property and there is no risk involved in trespassing -- why not? It is unfortunate that cement barriers have be placed to "enforce" respect for private property.

The same situation exists on the other side of the lake by the orchard property. The no trespassing signs are largely ignored by many fishermen. This is painful but... I gotta admit that I have from time to time been guilty of fishing there under a "no trespassing" sign. (May my sins be forgiven?) My violations have usually been brief as I slip in to grab a few surface slurping white bass. Nevertheless, a criminal is a criminal. When my sense of right and wrong prevails, I leave the area but I can soothe my conscience a bit by leaving the place a little bit cleaner than it was when I trespassed. As a reformed fisherman, I ain't gonna trespass no more.

Respect for private property will benefit all of us; those who choose to trespass and litter hurt all of us.

I'm done.
(07-14-2021, 09:57 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Good info Pat and, as usual, very well presented.

Before the barrier was set in place on the west end I used to drive to the fenced property line to launch my kayak. It was not uncommon to have to search for a parking place for my truck because so many people had parked there to climb the fence (sign? what sign??) and walk down to the rocky point. It was not uncommon to see several groups fishing from the shore there. During high water times they had several spots cleared of reeds/frags to allow for a hefty cast. I have also seen people hike down from the feeder roads (private) SW of the point. Something I have never seen or heard of is anyone being cited for trespassing or littering in that area. I believe most people do not consider their trespassing to be any kind of a risk, and they are probably right. If you have no respect for private property and there is no risk involved in trespassing -- why not? It is unfortunate that cement barriers have be placed to "enforce" respect for private property.

The same situation exists on the other side of the lake by the orchard property. The no trespassing signs are largely ignored by many fishermen. This is painful but... I gotta admit that I have from time to time been guilty of fishing there under a "no trespassing" sign. (May my sins be forgiven?) My violations have usually been brief as I slip in to grab a few surface slurping white bass. Nevertheless, a criminal is a criminal. When my sense of right and wrong prevails, I leave the area but I can soothe my conscience a bit by leaving the place a little bit cleaner than it was when I trespassed. As a reformed fisherman, I ain't gonna trespass no more.

Respect for private property will benefit all of us; those who choose to trespass and litter hurt all of us.

I'm done.
I used to like to launch in that spot next to the fence line too.  But quit after discovering some "types" trying to get into my vehicle when I sneaked up on em from the water.  Can't believe how many times I saw guys going through or over the fence right next to the no trespassing signs...as if they did not apply to them.  Also got lots of pictures of violators and the trash they left behind...on the other side of the posted signs.