Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Koke fish report 7/15/21
Took a buddy up to the Berry side to try to get him into some kokes, he loves to chase them but doesn’t have a boat. We got on the water about 8 am. I went to where I had good success a couple weeks ago. Nobody there, the floatilla was not there, apparently neither were the kokes or at least they weren’t cooperating. Started working into new areas to try to find them, picked up a couple 3 cutts. Finally found a spot and got a koke then another. Then nothing for a while other than occasional cutt or 3 got several very small cutts I haven’t gotten many that small before. Hard to even tell they were on the line. We  noticed the boats dispersing in all directions I’m assuming everybody was searching. We picked everything up and moved to another area that has produced in the past. Not much boat activity, we picked up a couple more one chunky 18 inch plus. Kept trying different depths speed etc. no real pattern. Finally picked up 2 more kokes in random areas, got a couple 12 inch rainbows. My friend loves to eat trout so he kept those. Ended up keeping 6 kokes and 2 bows. I think we lost 2 kokes if I remember correctly. We quit about 3PM . I did have one stretch were I was lazy and knew it, it had been too long without a hit, a koke or a cutt. Checked my lines and one was covered with vegetation other had a small cutt. We did pick up a koke and lost one during that stretch on other lines, So may have cost me a koke or two? I told my buddy I was trying help him get more as the guest LOL. Caught fish/kokes from 25 to 40 feet. A few different blade combos, silver and chart, mostly pink squid one on small spinner squid combo. Not sure anything was better than another just finding active fish.
Interesting note 3 of the 6 kokes showing a bit of color and one starting to hook up on nose which seems a bit early from last experience.
So not fast fishing and we earned them, but still a fun and productive day. I Get spoiled sometimes when it is fast.
Picture of biggest one hard to see color after it had been on ice, should have snapped a picture right whe we caught it.
[Image: F225330-B-2450-45-E9-A262-4-F526-CBC4-EFE.jpg]
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Our fish today had some color and of the ones I brought home 2 didn’t have scales anymore and definitely developing the kype
(07-16-2021, 07:37 PM)Mildog Wrote: Took a buddy up to the Berry side to try to get him into some kokes, he loves to chase them but doesn’t have a boat. We got on the water about 8 am. I went to where I had good success a couple weeks ago. Nobody there, the floatilla was not there, apparently neither were the kokes or at least they weren’t cooperating. Started working into new areas to try to find them, picked up a couple 3 cutts. Finally found a spot and got a koke then another. Then nothing for a while other than occasional cutt or 3 got several very small cutts I haven’t gotten many that small before. Hard to even tell they were on the line. We  noticed the boats dispersing in all directions I’m assuming everybody was searching. We picked everything up and moved to another area that has produced in the past. Not much boat activity, we picked up a couple more one chunky 18 inch plus. Kept trying different depths speed etc. no real pattern. Finally picked up 2 more kokes in random areas, got a couple 12 inch rainbows. My friend loves to eat trout so he kept those. Ended up keeping 6 kokes and 2 bows. I think we lost 2 kokes if I remember correctly. We quit about 3PM . I did have one stretch were I was lazy and knew it, it had been too long without a hit, a koke or a cutt. Checked my lines and one was covered with vegetation other had a small cutt. We did pick up a koke and lost one during that stretch on other lines, So may have cost me a koke or two? I told my buddy I was trying help him get more as the guest LOL. Caught fish/kokes from 25 to 40 feet. A few different blade combos, silver and chart, mostly pink squid one on small spinner squid combo. Not sure anything was better than another just finding active fish.
Interesting note 3 of the 6 kokes showing a bit of color and one starting to hook up on nose which seems a bit early from last experience.
So not fast fishing and we earned them, but still a fun and productive day. I Get spoiled sometimes when it is fast.
Picture of biggest one hard to see color after it had been on ice, should have snapped a picture right whe we caught it.

Wow, that sounds like a long day on the water, I have a hard time staying past noon in these hot conditions but it sounds like your persistence paid off.