Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panfish will bite regardless the water temperature or time of day
In the hot sunny days of summer I've been able to locate panfish and bass that have struck my lures. Even a large carp and a few catfish were caught. It was just a matter of finding them and working small lures slowly. When small fish were nipping at the tails of soft plastic grubs, I downsized and used them under a float. Amazing to see the float dive when moved a few inches knowing the soft plastic lure is what got struck!
(07-20-2021, 01:57 PM)SenkoSam Wrote: In the hot sunny days of summer I've been able to locate panfish and bass that have struck my lures. Even a large carp and a few catfish were caught. It was just a matter of finding them and working small lures slowly. 
When small fish were nipping at the tails of soft plastic grubs, I downsized and used them under a float.

That is interesting. There are so many factors that need to hold true, for your statement would be true every time, like numbers of fish in a given body of water. I agree that in every body of water there will be some fish feeding in one location but not in another location but having the time to locate those fish is another issue. In small lakes or ponds one can locate those active fish a little quicker but you get on bigger lakes and it all changes. Knowing a body of water because you fish on it year after year makes a huge difference but going to a new lake and expecting the same results can often time lead to failure.

in
Yesterday I took along a family relation that never caught fish on lures. At first he thought I was going to give him lures to try that looked like forage. I gave him a quick lesson in what and why fish bite based on what fish senses tell them. This was his first fish hitting in open water, caught on a bright white flat-tail that struck the lure 3x on the same retrieve.

With another lure similar in action but different in color, he caught two of the largest yellow perch of the day!
One perch bit his lure dangling over the railing with only the slight rocking of the boat giving it action. That was in 4' FOW.
I caught most of my fish - including some 11" crappie - on this Crappie Magnet-tail/thicker body hybrid (note the chartreuse tail and motor oil body). It mattered what we cast because of my confidence in those lures and in those colors. As long as I found fish, we could have used one or 10 different soft plastic lures in different colors and caught fish. We were only out 3 hours but found fish in open water, on shallow flats and in shallow stumpy areas. The day was overcast - sunny and a cold front was due that evening.

Now, were any of those fish actively feeding or were most suspended anywhere they were caught? A few surface swirls did indicate active fish - some of which I caught. Other than that it seemed that the fish that attacked 3x on the same retrieve or at the boat vertically jigging after strikes, became activated based on lure-related factors. So, like the argument that fish attack lures that resemble prey, fish attacking lures to eat them is not based on anything but opinion. Better to relate the strike to lure specifics especially action, size and shape that either gets strikes in combination or doesn't.
Knowing a body of water because you fish on it year after year makes a huge difference but going to a new lake and expecting the same results can often time lead to failure.

So true which is why I prefer to fish lakes I know pretty well. Of course there are times when few fish are located in the usual locations based on seasonal and weather changes, but hopefully far and in between.