Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knice at Da Knolls 7-20-43
Met up with Lee at Da Knolls this morning.  He already posted his report.  But I got some more pics and rhetoric so I'll put up another one.  Oh yeah, a couple of other BFT reprobates were supposed to join us this morning but were no shows.  Sheesh.

We were both launched in our tubes by 7.  NASTY.  Shallow, muddy and rocky for well over 50 yards from the shoreline...before it got deep enough to put down the electric motors and get seated in our tubes.  Air temp 70 degrees at launch...warming to 82 by noon departure.  Water temps went from 78 to 80...with some "green sheen" starting to show.  Lotsa broken clouds at daybreak made for a nice pic or two.

Lee stayed a bit behind me as I motored out to deeper water.  I was dragging a chub minnow on one rod and a small white bass on the other.  Seemed to catch more on the chubs but my bigger fish came on the white bass.  Lee found some fish in 4-5 feet of water but I did better all morning on either side of 6'.  I found one area straight out from the rocky point at the Knolls that almost always seems to hold fish.  And they kept me busy until I ran out of bait about 11. 

No big fish today.  No bumpers for the contest.  Almost all were over 24 inches...with several in the 25 and 26 inch zone.  Only caught a couple less than 2 feet long.  But they all hit hard and fought hard...punching above their weight class in the warm water.

Absolutely stellar weather today.  Never more than a slight  breeze ripple on the water and mostly flat glass.  I figure I caught somewhere north of 15 cats...going through a "long dozen" bag of chubs and 6 or 7 small white bass.  All baits caught at least one fish and a couple of the white bass caught 2 before being demolished.

Looks like I missed a good trip. Glad to see you guys stick some fish.
Great outing again Pat, glad you had a run out of bait trip, but you do that often.... Congrats... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(07-21-2021, 12:00 AM)FatBiker Wrote: Looks like I missed a good trip.  Glad to see you guys stick some fish.

I doubt I will be hitting the Knolls again this year...with the low water.  But might be heading further south to Lincoln Beach next week.  Lemme know if you are interested.
(07-21-2021, 12:15 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Great outing again Pat, glad you had a run out of bait trip, but you do that often.... Congrats... Later Jeff

I suppose I could simply bring more bait.  But I generally bring only enough for a "good trip" and not more than I will usually use.  If I don't use all of my minnows or cut bait, I usually dispose of it...feeling that fresher is always better.  But sometimes recycled minnows work as well or better than first thawed.  However, I would much rather use it all up catching fish than throwing away a bunch that I didn't use.  Call me frugal...not cheap.

On the other hand, I take good care of my crawlers and the ones I have left are still in good shape to be returned to the refrigerator when I get home.  I have had a box of crawlers last for several "light" trips.  But still, I would rather use them all up on fish than have to keep taking care of survivors at home.
I prefer to use all my bait up as well, but I usually have some left, I'm not very good at bait management.... Little jealous of you going through a full pack each trip.... Mine usually lasts four or five trips.... Been so long since I've been fishing I think I'll have to be retaught how to do it... Rumor is that second crop will be done by the end of the weekend and I only have half my usual water for next crop, so I may find time to try and catch a fish... Sure hope so, but don't have a clue where to find them this time of year... not much deep water for them to find cool areas around here, so have to go looking for where they are hiding... hope the new finder helps me locate them better than I could do before, liking the side finder, just need some experience so i can tell carp from catfish on the graph... I'm afraid the summer is slipping away pretty fast now... Sad, but fall and winter are my better times to get away and fish.... Hope I can find time to join you for a float this fall... Later Jeff
(07-21-2021, 07:32 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I prefer to use all my bait up as well, but I usually have some left, I'm not very good at bait management.... Little jealous of you going through a full pack each trip.... Mine usually lasts four or five trips....  Been so long since I've been fishing I think I'll have to be retaught how to do it... Rumor is that second crop will be done by the end of the weekend and I only have half my usual water for next crop, so I may find time to try and catch a fish... Sure hope so, but don't have a clue where to find them this time of year... not much deep water for them to find cool areas around here, so have to go looking for where they are hiding... hope the new finder helps me locate them better than I could do before, liking the side finder, just need some experience so i can tell carp from catfish on the graph... I'm afraid the summer is slipping away pretty fast now... Sad, but fall and winter are my better times to get away and fish....  Hope I can find time to join you for a float this fall... Later Jeff
It's been like forever since we fished together.  Hope you are able to carve out some fishing time soon.  Let me know.  Since my schedule is a lot more flexible than yours I can try to work out a get-together whenever you see a hole in your schedule.

Yeah, it's hot right now.  But so is a lot of the fishing...if you know where to go.  You get the time and I will help choose a favorable venue...where hopefully we can use up all the bait.
Hey Pat that sounds like a deal, I'll have to get my toon licensed or go motorless... Unless you want to try a boat.... I haven't been out in the toon so long I don't even think I licensed it last year... in fact my park pass has expired too... Guess I need to go fishing more often.... Or fish somewhere besides Cutler.... I'll try to finish up the urgent stuff this week and see if I can get a morning next week... Got some leave built up, so I can do a weekday... Now if I can find a fishing pole..... JK.... Later Jeff
(07-21-2021, 08:53 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Pat that sounds like a deal, I'll have to get my toon licensed or go motorless... Unless you want to try a boat.... I haven't been out in the toon so long I don't even think I licensed it last year... in fact my  park pass has expired too... Guess I need to go fishing more often....  Or fish somewhere besides Cutler.... I'll try to finish up the urgent stuff this week and see if I can get a morning next week... Got some leave built up, so  I can do a weekday... Now if I can find a fishing pole..... JK....  Later Jeff

I know you got fishing poles.  But if ya need one I know a guy...  I can also provide FRESH bait.  But you gotta tie on your own hooks and take your own fish off the lines.  There are limits, ya know.