Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water level continues to drop at Lost creek
Wiperslayer and I got up to LC today, looks like the water level has dropped 8 to 10 ft lower than our last trip.

[Image: low-water-at-LC.jpg]

We were the first ones there, arriving around 6:30 am but one other guy got there as we were launching. Here is where Ira picked me up, it is so steep there that you don't even need to trip your motor up.

[Image: makeshiftboatdock.jpg]

[Image: steep-boat-dock.jpg]

As we headed off I took this pic of the boat ramp, for folks to see where people park, during the week.

[Image: LC-boat-ramp.jpg]

We got set up and started trolling with riggers at 30 ft down but did not put the first fish in the boat until we got to the main body of the lake. We also caught them using lead core line. We stay in the main body catching cutts, bows and tigers up to 16" but nothing huge today. We did alright and even caught a few jigging  when we found a bunch stacked up in one location. We were hoping to catch some splake but it wasn't to be. As we headed back to our makeshift dock the DWR were launching and appeared to be towing one of the advanced tow sonar units, behind the boat, don't have a clue what they were looking for but the only time I have seen them use those units is when they are looking to recover a body Undecided.
Good to know we can still launch up there. My son and I are going up Saturday morning. Are they charging to launch up there yet?
(07-22-2021, 02:09 AM)Lundude Wrote: Good to know we can still launch up there. My son and I are going up Saturday morning. Are they charging to launch up there yet?

No, it won't likely happen for another year or two. I doubt they will start charging to launch until they get the new ramp built and maybe not until they build the new campground.
Good to know, thank you for the info Wiperhunter, I appreciate it.
I went up last week and filled up a bucket of chubs in about an hour. Counted 32 of them when I got home and froze them for bait. Should be set for a while.
(07-22-2021, 01:57 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wiperslayer and I got up to LC today, looks like the water level has dropped 8 to 10 ft lower than our last trip.

[Image: low-water-at-LC.jpg]

We were the first ones there, arriving around 6:30 am but one other guy got there as we were launching. Here is where Ira picked me up, it is so steep there that you don't even need to trip your motor up.

[Image: makeshiftboatdock.jpg]

[Image: steep-boat-dock.jpg]

As we headed off I took this pic of the boat ramp, for folks to see where people park, during the week.

[Image: LC-boat-ramp.jpg]

We got set up and started trolling with riggers at 30 ft down but did not put the first fish in the boat until we got to the main body of the lake. We also caught them using lead core line. We stay in the main body catching cutts, bows and tigers up to 16" but nothing huge today. We did alright and even caught a few jigging  when we found a bunch stacked up in one location. We were hoping to catch some splake but it wasn't to be. As we headed back to our makeshift dock the DWR were launching and appeared to be towing one of the advanced tow sonar units, behind the boat, don't have a clue what they were looking for but the only time I have seen them use those units is when they are looking to recover a body Undecided.
Sounds like another good day at Lost Creek.  I still need to make a trip or two up there to get some more chubs and probe the depths for those elusive slot busters.  How was the end of the ramp?  Was there any silt build up?
(07-22-2021, 03:07 AM)FatBiker Wrote: I went up last week and filled up a bucket of chubs in about an hour.  Counted 32 of them when I got home and froze them for bait.  Should be set for a while.

We had intended to spend the last hour we were there jigging for chub but forgot the worms. We did bring some cut up chub to use for bait while jigging for trout but I guess chub don't like eating chub Sad
(07-22-2021, 03:34 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Sounds like another good day at Lost Creek.  I still need to make a trip or two up there to get some more chubs and probe the depths for those elusive slot busters.  How was the end of the ramp?  Was there any silt build up?

It wasn't bad and it was overcast most of the morning, saw the normal deer and turkey on the drive in, so that was good, just was hoping to catch a splake. The end of the ramp was fine, it has some silt on part of the ramp but there is still plenty of concrete exposed to have good traction as you retrieve or launch your boat.
I was there on the 21st also. I was in my blue and orange float tube gathering some chub. I had trouble finding them and ended up with about 15 or so. About noon I saw you(didn't know it was you) aggressively jigging out from the ramp. Do you know what the Utah State boat was doing? It looked like they were dragging a small net behind their boat.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(07-23-2021, 04:12 PM)BURLEY Wrote: I was there on the 21st also. I was in my blue and orange float tube gathering some chub. I had trouble finding them and ended up with about 15 or so. About noon I saw you(didn't know it was you) aggressively jigging out from the ramp. Do you know what the Utah State boat was doing? It looked like they were dragging a small net behind their boat.

I did not know you had a float tube Hue or I would have ask Ira to drive over to say Hi, saw you catch a few while we were there. The State boat was pulling a sonar unit, one of those expensive top end models that they use when recovering drowning victims. I have seen them use them at Causey, Pineview and Strawberry. They see way more detail than the side scan ones we use on our boats. My guess is they were using it to look for the kokes they started planting there last year but I'm really not sure.
[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Hey WH2 - [/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]I assume you are dragging crank baits around at about 2 mph. Care to share what is working the best for you trolling up there? Thanks![/font]
(07-25-2021, 10:47 PM)Trent_S Wrote: [font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Hey WH2 - [/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]I assume you are dragging crank baits around at about 2 mph. Care to share what is working the best for you trolling up there? Thanks![/font]

Hi Trent, we caught them best on a berkley #4 or 5 racy shad, trolling at 1.3 to 1.5 mph. Not sure why that lure pattern and size worked the best but it worked not only at 30 ft with riggers but also with lead core line, 5 colors out to the reel. Hope that helps.

[Image: racyshad.jpg]
(07-25-2021, 11:20 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 10:47 PM)Trent_S Wrote: [font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Hey WH2 - [/font]

Hi Trent, we caught them best on a berkley #4 or 5 racy shad, trolling at 1.3 to 1.5 mph. Not sure why that lure pattern and size worked the best but it worked not only at 30 ft with riggers but also with lead core line, 5 colors out to the reel. Hope that helps.

[Image: racyshad.jpg]
WH2 - Looks like you found some smaller lures from your Willard tackle box that happen to work well at LC as well. Nice - two waters one lure. Thanks for sharing. I did not know those lures would work well at that slow of a speed. That is flat-fish speed.
(07-27-2021, 02:37 AM)Trent_S Wrote:
(07-25-2021, 11:20 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

WH2 - Looks like you found some smaller lures from your Willard tackle box that happen to work well at LC as well. Nice - two waters one lure. Thanks for sharing. I did not know those lures would work well at that slow of a speed. That is flat-fish speed.

I think it's the size that makes them work at the slower speed.