Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So So at Echo 7-22-21
Hey Pat -- tks for the piscatorial pictorial....I've cleaned a lot of fish over the X# of years, but never did think about removing that pesky row of spine bones during the cleaning process...do believe I'll do it on the next accidentally caught cutt from Strawbery, or Rainbow from Rockport, if they ever show up there again....Even ran off a copy of your whole process, and will give a copy to grandkids...nicely done...tks again...
(07-24-2021, 07:48 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Hey Pat -- tks for the piscatorial pictorial....I've cleaned a lot of fish over the X# of years, but never did think about removing that pesky row of spine bones during the cleaning process...do believe I'll do it on the next accidentally caught cutt from Strawbery, or Rainbow from Rockport, if they ever show up there again....Even ran off a copy of your whole process, and will give a copy to grandkids...nicely done...tks again...
Welcome.  Hope it helps you better appreciate your future trout meals.  When prepared that way and oven baked with the butter and spices it rivals the best salmon you ever had.

And if you wanna add a "kicker", try laying on a few shrimp over the seasoned and buttered fish.  I call this "Surf and Surf".

(07-24-2021, 06:05 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(07-24-2021, 04:55 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I like to fish for all types of species, but In the end I like to eat fish as well.  There are days I do the catch and release thing, but most trips involve putting a bag of ice in the cooler to cool down those fish I plan on taking home. Bass, panfish, walleye, wipers, cats both channel and bullhead, then the trout and kokes.  They all grace the table at my house. I grew up eating trout and still enjoy it, only hate the pin bones.
I'm witchoo.  I'm multi-tackle and multi-species...and I do usually keep a few for the table.

I also grew up eating trout...as a kid in Idaho.  And I too hated the little flesh bones...until I learned the way of the fillet knife.  Now I fillet any trout I keep...even down to footlongs.  And with a couple of cuts alongside the row of pin bones I can lift them out and not worry about getting any myself...or effecting any kids or other folks who might be dining on my fish.

Here's a little pictorial PDF file I put together a long time ago on some tiger trout from Huntington (Mammoth) that shows the deboning process.
I do the same with smaller ones, fillet the bones right out.  With the larger ones, I just use some needle nose pliers and pull them out.
(07-24-2021, 05:49 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Good idea.  I've heard from others that they do this as well.  I'm going to have to try it.  I pressure can a big portion of my deer and elk and it turns out great.  My wife doesn't care for venison very much, but will eat the bottled stuff with no complaints.  She says it tastes like a very tender beef roast, and she is right.  It falls apart, is not gamey, and is very tasty.  I will eat it right out of the bottle. We make tacos, stews, chimichangas, enchiladas, burritos, etc. and it all is very good as well.  How do you use your bottled fish?
We usually eat it like you would in fish tacos, at least for the warm water fish but with the salmon, you can eat it right out of the bottle by itself or eat it in a meal as the main course with whatever side dish you prefer. We usually open a pint jar and split it up between me and my wife, then serve mixed vegetables on the side. Some people mix the bottled salmon with cream cheese and eat it on crackers.