Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln latest
Pretty good day at Lincoln today. The channel depth continues to drop and I was not sure if the water was sufficient for a launch. Channel depth was about 2.4 feet most of the way with one spot near the end where it dropped to just under 2 feet. No trouble with motor trimmed up a bit. Four or five trailers in the parking lot when I returned and one ski-type boat just leaving the launch channel. 

Arrived at the launch at about 5:30 hoping to get out and over to the Knolls by about sun up. No other fools launching that early in the morning and the only sounds were the bullfrogs bellowing and an occasional carp splash. Got to the Knolls at about daylight and picked up my first and biggest cat after dragging a white bass chunk about 100 feet... a 28 incher that I managed to stretch to 28.5 with my 24 volt Cabela's Cat Stretcher. Caught about seven more cats, all about 24 to 27 inches and all were caught on fresh white bass in 5-6 fow. 

[Image: DSC01273.jpg]
My favorite time of the day, overcast daylight and calm water.

I left the Knolls about 7:30 and headed for the area around the springs and Lincoln Point. Slower fishing but still managed to pick up a few good fish. All were right around 27 inches long but they fought like 37 inchers. Caught some purty green ones and some ugly and beat up old males. The males had some pretty serious love wounds and one had recently lost an eye. All were fighters and really had my drag singing.

[Image: DSC01274.jpg]  
[Image: DSC01276.jpg]

A good day with some nice cats. Now, if the water will just hold up a little longer I should be able to get in a few more trips before resorting to the kayak. I still have not found that first 30 inch cat but it will come.

BLK
(07-23-2021, 08:11 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Pretty good day at Lincoln today. The channel depth continues to drop and I was not sure if the water was sufficient for a launch. Channel depth was about 2.4 feet most of the way with one spot near the end where it dropped to just under 2 feet. No trouble with motor trimmed up a bit. Four or five trailers in the parking lot when I returned and one ski-type boat just leaving the launch channel. 

Arrived at the launch at about 5:30 hoping to get out and over to the Knolls by about sun up. No other fools launching that early in the morning and the only sounds were the bullfrogs bellowing and an occasional carp splash. Got to the Knolls at about daylight and picked up my first and biggest cat after dragging a white bass chunk about 100 feet... a 28 incher that I managed to stretch to 28.5 with my 24 volt Cabela's Cat Stretcher. Caught about seven more cats, all about 24 to 27 inches and all were caught on fresh white bass in 5-6 fow. 

[Image: DSC01273.jpg]
My favorite time of the day, overcast daylight and calm water.

I left the Knolls about 7:30 and headed for the area around the springs and Lincoln Point. Slower fishing but still managed to pick up a few good fish. All were right around 27 inches long but they fought like 37 inchers. Caught some purty green ones and some ugly and beat up old males. The males had some pretty serious love wounds and one had recently lost an eye. All were fighters and really had my drag singing.

[Image: DSC01274.jpg]  
[Image: DSC01276.jpg]

A good day with some nice cats. Now, if the water will just hold up a little longer I should be able to get in a few more trips before resorting to the kayak. I still have not found that first 30 inch cat but it will come.

BLK

Sounds like a good day to me.  Woulda been better with a couple over 30.  But that will come.

Have you checked the depth at that "improvement" at the L.  Thinkin' on trying a launch there.
I have not checked the depth or launch-ability at the L but I will swing by there and get a current depth. With the ferocious rain we had yesterday the lake level should be up at least six inches. Smile

[Image: IMG-0041.jpg]
Have you seen anyone drop off the end of the ramp yet.. looks like i will have to come out of provo to fish........
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(07-23-2021, 10:27 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: Have you seen anyone drop off the end of the ramp yet..    looks like i will have to come out of provo to fish........

I've been watching very carefully when I back in cuz I don't want to go through the ordeal again where I have to unhook trailer and pull trailer and boat out by chain on the south side of the ramp. Ugly. I saw a guy a couple of years ago who broke his double axle free on one side of his trailer while trying to take out a pontoon boat.

I rigged up a 2x8 piece of oak to run the length of my trailer to help lift me up and over if I drop off again. If I drive my old 2-wheel drive truck and need to use a grunt gear to get out I can usually do it unless the rear wheels are in some green snot. If it gets too dicey I'll just drive my 4x4 "Sunday truck". then too, I can always drive to Prove to launch but Lincoln is my home base and I will keep it that way as long as I can.

There are fish to be caught, just gotta get to them.
Are you measuring depth from the transducer of your fish finder or the actual water depth?
(07-24-2021, 01:20 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: Are you measuring depth from the transducer of your fish finder or the actual water depth?

Transducer -- as viewed on my Lowrance. Probably need to add another 6 inches or so for actual depth??