Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Launch
After receiving a little encouragement from BLK, Vi and I got to the ramp at Lincoln Beach early Friday morning to find he had already made his departure (not a big supersize). We did find Pisco at the ramp getting his bait for the day. After getting him on his way, we made our way down the channel through skinny water into the main lake. On our way over to the Knowles we desided to stop and fish out front of the orchards for a while. Vi boated one and we decided the wait for another probably wasn't in our best interest so we headed west.

Pisco had disapeared but we could see BLK just to the south. Before we could get close enough to talk he left. I should have told him eariler that we have had our covid vacines.

We fished the pattern we did a couple weeks earlier but our catch was less than expected. Don't remember our count, Vi's tally sheet is somewhere out of sight. We thought back to Ice Sled telling us of biger fish lurking deaper water so we headed farther off shore and catching just slowed down. We never did find any water more that 7.4". All of our fish were heavy and healthy but nothing over 28.5. No bumpers.

Sat. We desided we could be hot out on the lake just as easy as we could at home and be better off than working in the sun. We started fishing about 0930 about .75 mi. off the orchards all the time thinking we should be some where else. It was slow to say the least. We had more hits without hook up than either of us can remember. I did (I swear) have one on that had that big fish feel. It got into the other two lines then the motor. I could feel the line chaffin as it went back and forth, then all came loose, nothing but slack line. Oh well, better than a crappy tied knot comming loose. Sometime the fish win!

There were several larger boats in the marina on our return. I'm sure at least two were wishing they had gone some where else to play. One that was trying to manuver arount the docks sure was stiring up a bunch of mud, probably rocks as well. The other had trailered hi boat and was giving carefull inspection of his lower unit. I don't know where the cut off point is as farr a boat size, but if you have more than two feet of draft I would look foe some other place to launch.

Vi just handed me a note: 18 out of 23 were 25-28.5. That was two days catch.

rj
I thought you and Vi might have been one of the boats to the north of me at the Knolls; wasn't being anti social and I have had my shots too. Smile I had fished that area since just after daylight and with the heat coming on I wanted to try the BS and orchard areas before the sun got me. I had similar results as you reported. I started closer to shore at the Knolls hoping I could catch some early feeders but I only managed a few snags. All of the fish I caught were in 5-6 fow, ditto for the orchard area, nothing at the slough. 

All of the fish I caught were fat and sassy and full of fight, even the beat up old males gave some good tugs. I did not keep any fish but it would have been interesting to see what they have been feeding on. With limited cover for the baby fishes the cats have probably been feeding very well.

I usually look forward to the cooler weather in Sept. and Oct. but this year access is going to be tough... unless you are a TD. Another dry winter or two and we will have mud hole instead of a lake. 

Glad you and Vi got out. I hope Jim will be submitting one of his thorough and informative reports as well. 

Fish on.
Hey Richard it was good to see you and Vi at the ramp and thanks for the assist launching my boat. I haven't finished my write up yet, but it was a good morning for me, not so much for the grandkids. I had fished 3 hours when they arrived and averaged just under 7/hour. I even started to feel worn out. I picked them up about 10 and we got 3 cats and a white bass in just over an hour. Not enough action to keep them interested so we called it a day. 

I was farther south than you guys and a bit shallower. I could see both your boats for the first couple of hours. You had water for the backdrop, but I would have had land behind me so much harder to see. 

The long ones continue to be ellusive for me. I got one well over 11 pounds that had a squared off nose and a chunk missing from its tail, it measured 28 7/8, but should have been close to 30! Still plenty of time though. The quality overall is still impressive like you reported. For the combined trips 20 out of 23 were over 25".

I passed Vi's encouraging words along to Julie. Tell her thanks!

Keep up the good work.