Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard North Ramp Report 7/26
[Image: IMG-20210726-110617937-HDR.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20210726-110658346-HDR.jpg]
Wiperhunter2 asked me to post ramp conditions next time I was at the north marina. Top picture is the south side of the ramp. Bottom picture is the north side of the ramp.  Lake drops another inch, the north side will also be out of the water.  Not sure how much farther the center section goes out into the lake.  Did see a tandem axle wake boat unload yesterday. Fishing was excellent again this morning. 14 or 15 kitties in four hours fishing in 6 to 12 FOW.  Chub chunks on Santee rigs did the trick.  Drifted .3 to .5 MPH.
Thanks Larry that's a great report.... Makes me want to get out chasing kitties... I'll have to figure out your santee rig and see if it works up this way... Thanks for the report... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thanks Larry, by the end of the Summer I'm sure it will be much lower. TubeDude posted a pic of it a lot lower there, so I was curious if it was that low yet. Sounds like you did good again, any bigger cats?
(07-26-2021, 07:56 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks Larry that's a great report.... Makes me want to get out chasing kitties...  I'll have to figure out your santee rig and see if it works up this way... Thanks for the report... Jeff

It works great at Cutler Jeff.  The key to success is slowly drifting it or trolling it at about 1/2 mile an hour or less.

Mike
(07-26-2021, 07:14 PM)FatBiker Wrote: [Image: IMG-20210726-110617937-HDR.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20210726-110658346-HDR.jpg]
Wiperhunter2 asked me to post ramp conditions next time I was at the north marina. Top picture is the south side of the ramp. Bottom picture is the north side of the ramp.  Lake drops another inch, the north side will also be out of the water.  Not sure how much farther the center section goes out into the lake.  Did see a tandem axle wake boat unload yesterday. Fishing was excellent again this morning. 14 or 15 kitties in four hours fishing in 6 to 12 FOW.  Chub chunks on Santee rigs did the trick.  Drifted .3 to .5 MPH.

In the bottom I see a cone in the water, is that the end of the ramp on that part?  I'm don't need much, but that isn't much.
I like hearing that only one wake maker was out there.
(07-26-2021, 11:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks Larry, by the end of the Summer I'm sure it will be much lower. TubeDude posted a pic of it a lot lower there, so I was curious if it was that low yet. Sounds like you did good again, any bigger cats?

Four or five really good males most of which were pretty beat up from the spawn.  If they're coming off the nest, they're going to be hungry as heck.

I'm not sure where the end of the ramp lies. I think the one you're seeing in the picture marks where the north section falls off from the central section. Certainly wouldn't want to get a little sideways and back off the edge.

(07-26-2021, 11:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks Larry, by the end of the Summer I'm sure it will be much lower. TubeDude posted a pic of it a lot lower there, so I was curious if it was that low yet. Sounds like you did good again, any bigger cats?

Four or five pretty good males. They were pretty beat up from the spawn.  If they're coming off the nest they'll be hungry as heck.
(07-27-2021, 02:12 AM)gmwahl Wrote:
(07-26-2021, 07:56 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks Larry that's a great report.... Makes me want to get out chasing kitties...  I'll have to figure out your santee rig and see if it works up this way... Thanks for the report... Jeff

It works great at Cutler Jeff.  The key to success is slowly drifting it or trolling it at about 1/2 mile an hour or less.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I haven’t been out for way to long, do you think with the weeds growing up it will work to troll?  Guess I need to get my electric motor dialed in so I can troll that slow. Worked good on my toon but haven’t tried it from the boat. Did you try it in the river or the reservoir?  I’m almost caught up so hope to wet a line soon before I’m behind again. Thanks again and I’ll catch ya Later Jeff
Hey Jeff,

I have used the Santee rig with success in and around the scour hole by benson marina bridge and in the main channel of the reservoir as well as below Cache junction.
Mike
Hey Mike,
I tried it last night on the main reservoir, well I should back up, my trim motor wouldn't work after lifting it out of the water to try the shallow pass to the river, and I wasn't able to figure it out this time, so I was forced to use my electric motor to get back to the marina, so I trolled back, all hour and a half worth, including a 300 yard paddle section after the battery died... Didn't get there until after ten... but I did catch a mudcat on the santee right off the bat, then missed 3 really strong hits while I was trying to keep the motor pointed towards the marina in the little breeze that was fighting me the whole way... So I'm excited to try that more when I have things working correctly... Have to see if I can trouble shoot that trim deal, it has had an intermittent short like problem since I got the new motor, but it always seems to work if I wiggle some wires... This time that didn't happen... Glad I wasn't further out that could have been bad... guess I would have pushed the boat into Dad's and bummed a ride, but hate to bother them at chore time... Anyway thanks for the report on successful locations, I'll try the deep water next time.. Thanks Jeff