Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington North - A quick check
A couple of us hit HN today in our tubes since we hadn't been there for awhile.  We launched at the state park ramp and fished mostly the middle portion of the reservoir.  We used fast sinking lines and size 6 and 8 bead head leeches, buggers and soft hackles.  We tried a lot of different flies, used a lot of tippet and we had very little success.  We picked up eight small bluegill/green sunfish and one wiper.  The wiper was the only good fish either one of us had on.
There were a lot of folks on the water but none of them were fishing.

The water temperature was 74-78 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 7’ until the wave runners and ski boats showed up.  The reservoir is about 52% full and coming up a little.

The weather was hot even though the fishing was not but it was nice to get out and get some exercise.

[Image: P1070183-2.jpg][Image: P1070185-2.jpg][Image: P1070186-2.jpg][Image: P1070188-2.jpg]
[Image: P1070189-2.jpg][Image: P1070190-2.jpg]
[url=https://ibb.co/S3CNKzX][/url]
Nice report and pics, too bad the catching wasn't better but I bet it was exciting catching that wiper on light tackle. How is it that the water level is coming up during this time of the year?
(07-27-2021, 06:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice report and pics, too bad the catching wasn't better but I bet it was exciting catching that wiper on light tackle. How is it that the water level is coming up during this time of the year?

That was the best wiper I've caught out of HN at 22" and 5 lbs. 7 oz.  They are a lot of fun on a fly rod.

Huntington North is a low level reservoir that gets it's water from the reservoirs on the Manti - Mammoth, Cleveland, Miller Flat, Rolfson, and Electric Lake.  The water users divert water from the stream into the reservoir to maintain the water level in HN during the year.  
(07-27-2021, 10:42 PM)gofish435 Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 06:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice report and pics, too bad the catching wasn't better but I bet it was exciting catching that wiper on light tackle. How is it that the water level is coming up during this time of the year?

That was the best wiper I've caught out of HN at 22" and 5 lbs. 7 oz.  They are a lot of fun on a fly rod.

Huntington North is a low level reservoir that gets it's water from the reservoirs on the Manti - Mammoth, Cleveland, Miller Flat, Rolfson, and Electric Lake.  The water users divert water from the stream into the reservoir to maintain the water level in HN during the year.  

Wow, that was a good sized wiper, glad to hear they are doing well there and congrats on catching your PB there.