Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
My ‘Utah Gamefish 15 in 5 Challenge’.
I was bored Sunday afternoon so I devised a new challenge for me to try and complete, the challenge is to catch 15 different Utah gamefish species in 5 consecutive days.
Today was day one, I have until Friday night to complete my challenge.
I knocked four off the list today but to stay on target I needed five, so now I am a little behind the eight ball.
I knocked off Kokes, Cutthroat, Yellow Perch, and Smallmouths today. I fished Strawberry and Jordanelle for these fish. I was really hoping for a Brown or Wiper and can’t believe I did not get my Rainbow.
I will post up tomorrow if I am able to knock a few more off the list…
If anyone cares to join in the challenge tomorrow through Saturday please post up your reports, maybe we can share tricks and help each other complete the ‘15 in 5’.
[Image: shanes-perch.jpg]

[Image: shanes-koke-and-cutt.jpg]

[Image: shanes-bass.jpg]
Sounds like fun, and a tuff challenge.

I did have a five species day the other day.
Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, Rainbow Trout, Tiger Trout, and
Sacramento Perch.

Now if I was doing the challenge I think I could follow up on day two,, fishing within a 30 mile radius of the first days catch. I know I could come up with a German Brown, Cutthroat, Bluegill, and if lucky maybe a Wiper.

After that it would start to get tuff for me.  I might have to do some serious home work and give it a try.

Keep us posted, and good luck.

What is there like 35 species in Utah?
That sounds like fun! I wish I had the time to give it a go. Good luck!

Earlier this year, I did 5 species in a day a couple of times for a smaller 1 day challenge.
Shane, Hey sorry I think your math may be flawed. Isn't 15/5=3? If that is true you are ahead of schedule... Way to go and good luck... Sounds like a lot of fun... Like the others I wish I had time to join in your quest... But I suspect it will get tough to find that many different species by the end... But knowing you I'm sure you can pull it off.... Best of luck... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Cast, I would trade all of my Walleye this year for that Sacramento. Well Done!

Jeff, I’m busted! The way you did my math was my ‘Plan B’ to insure I did not fail my challenge.J/K.

Well, for Day #2 report:
It was a little tougher to get these old bones out of bed after yesterday’s double solo launching at Strawberry and Jordanelle, but I forced myself up when the alarm clock went off.
Today’s goal was a Bow, Walleye, and hopefully a Brown or Crappie as a bonus so off to Deer Creek I headed.
I caught 3 Walleye, 3 or 4 Bows, and maybe a half dozen Smallies as I looked for the Crappie.
No Crappie could be found.
Oh well, two more off the list for a total of six/15.
[Image: 2-D24-B571-2563-4-F32-97-B5-EFD0-B61-F781-D.jpg]

[Image: C7-A8-F10-F-FF0-A-419-F-AC17-729-FCFE7-F235.jpg]

google vietnamese to english
Did you bottom bounce for the deer creek walleye?
What location is next? I'm off tomorrow but chose jordanelle, but that could change.
They say east canyon for wipers is possible. Crappie too!
Yes, BB’ed for the Walleye. Utah Lake for me tomorrow, need at least four species tomorrow.
Than it’s going to get a little tougher.
[Image: A7623323-9-CC1-4-C3-C-A36-F-2-CF8-B87641-CD.jpg]

* BONUS- Stopped at Provo on way down from DC after lunch and picked up a few Browns.
That makes #7, only eight to go.
Needed at least four today so went to UL.
Caught 3-4 dozen fish but only two species.
Now I’m really feeling the pinch.
Two more days left to catch 6 more species.
Here is #8 and #9.
[Image: 5-F966-A7-E-2-DEA-4269-92-ED-FFB2-B88972-B8.jpg]

[Image: 14-FDBF2-B-EE80-465-C-A62-E-17-F467-FA379-A.jpg]
Yuba might be a good choice. Very low water andseveral species. It says 20 percent full.
Does anyone have any information about yuba. Can you catch any fish?
Thanks for the tip but I’m leery of Yuba in this low of water. Last time I fished it this low the water was pretty stagnant and all I caught were carp.
My challenge was 15 game fish so carp don’t count towards my goal.
The other reason I don’t want to go to Yuba is that it is far enough away I can’t bounce and go to another lake in time.
Hopefully I am wrong about Yuba…
I’m thinking Pineview, Mantua, and maybe the Uintas for Brookies, Tigers, and Grayling.
Go, go, go! I'd love to see you get them all.

Last year I started kicking around the idea of seeing how many species one could catch in 24 hours here in Utah County. Or it could be anywhere, with travel time the limiting factor. I figure I would have a shot at up to 20 species if I could go as far as Scofield and Deer Creek. Could get a koke if I flipped on up to Jordanelle. I like the 15/5 a lot though. So many ways you could challenge yourself.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Good luck Shane you'll make it... Like the Uinta option, lots of species there you can add... Good luck... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!

Good luck, sounds like a lot of fun.
Thanks everybody.
Today was a long day but very fruitful.
I fished at Daybreak Lake 
[Image: D09-DE150-9-A1-B-4-E4-F-8-D0-C-08-FC29-C5-C7-FF.jpg]

[Image: 44-E3-D9-B7-534-D-4514-B1-BE-7-EE8-C7-DD8-F66.jpg]

[Image: A53-D1-EF5-A014-47-F6-9-A58-AB7-E01-C8053-A.jpg]

[Image: 9-A0-D1608-48-E6-4-C2-A-B876-92-A1-EBEEF4-FB.jpg]

[Image: 60-BEF052-3-DC3-4875-B9-F1-89-C554-B5957-B.jpg]

today and collected a Channel, my personal best Bluegill, and a Green Sunfish.

Then off to Mill Hollow for my Tiger Trout and Brook Trout.
I then went to Trial Lake to fish the outflow creek, where I used to catch Grayling.
Fished from outlet of dam to highway and only picked up a few Rainbows.
The Green Sunfish is pretty small so shall we agree I am at #13 1/2?
I think a fish is a fish no matter how big or small it is so I would call it 14. You are really inspiring me. How many more days do you have?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

If the green sunfish was big enough to bite a hook he counts as a whole I would say.
your almost there, awesome.
Thanks Guys.
I started my challenge Monday morning so today is the last day.
I really wanted a Crappie so after weighing my choices I hit Pineview today, figured I could pull it off from shore so did not take my boat.
I chose Pineview because a Largemouth or Musky would also put me at #15.
After going up and down the cliffs in 3 areas I finally found fish, but not what I needed.
I caught about 4 or 5 Smallies (some are very healthy), about a dozen Gills, and a couple Bullheads.
Fortunately I have kept an Ace up my sleeve for a Largemouth, the ponds out in Grantsville. But, I did not want to use it if not needed.
Well, it was needed.
I packed up and hiked out of Pineview right about noon.
I drove to Grantsville and about 2 pm’ish I connected and landed specie #15.
My boat is a mess, my truck is a mess, and the skin where my prosthetic rubs on feels like it will never heal. But, I bet I am thinking where to fish next before I go to bed tonight!
Moral of my story:
Normal people have normal goals.
I have only proved I am not normal.
The

[Image: DF333-F82-27-F1-4-CA1-A124-2301-E2-F15099.jpg]
How do you have so much time?
Well done son.  Next time you wanna do something crazy like that, I'd be happy to tag along as your sidekick and to lend immoral support.
Nicely done!