Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
My ‘Utah Gamefish 15 in 5 Challenge’.
Thanks Pat!
I will definitely keep that in mind but for the next little bit I think I am going to stick to the 1/1 challenge.
At least until my insanity heals up a little bit.

Thank you Doggone.
Congratulations! Heck of a goal you met.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Congratulations on a nice feat.
Thank you Kent.
Shane that is dang impressive, congratulations and way to go.... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thank you Burley, Kent, and Jeff.
Cool post. I haven't tried to get a certain number of species within a certain (short) time, but I keep track of my species (and counts) annually. I'm having my best year ever in the history of me this year. Here are a few that I still need to get:

1. Brown. I've been up a fished a few streams with some friends...they've all caught browns...I haven't. Just unlucky.
2. Crappie. I've actually caught very few over the years and were mostly incidental. I might try my luck in the fall at Pineview with a friend.
3. Sunfish. Likely hit a few local ponds, they've got to be in there.
4. Grayling. Not sure if I'm going to pursue this. I don't want to hike.

Theres a few more of course, but those are the likely-to-be-able-to-get ones. I was having a record year anyway on species counts, at 19 for the year so far, and then my wife and I went to Alaska (first time) and scored another 9 species. Then went with Kent and caught a few chubs (200 or so) and so now I'm at 29. I doubt I'll ever do this well again, since all the lakes will be dried up next year (...hope not) so I'm pushing it this year!

Cool post!
Randy
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
(07-30-2021, 10:09 PM)MrShane Wrote: Thanks Guys.
I started my challenge Monday morning so today is the last day.
I really wanted a Crappie so after weighing my choices I hit Pineview today, figured I could pull it off from shore so did not take my boat.
I chose Pineview because a Largemouth or Musky would also put me at #15.
After going up and down the cliffs in 3 areas I finally found fish, but not what I needed.
I caught about 4 or 5 Smallies (some are very healthy), about a dozen Gills, and a couple Bullheads.
Fortunately I have kept an Ace up my sleeve for a Largemouth, the ponds out in Grantsville. But, I did not want to use it if not needed.
Well, it was needed.
I packed up and hiked out of Pineview right about noon.
I drove to Grantsville and about 2 pm’ish I connected and landed specie #15.
My boat is a mess, my truck is a mess, and the skin where my prosthetic rubs on feels like it will never heal. But, I bet I am thinking where to fish next before I go to bed tonight!
Moral of my story:
Normal people have normal goals.
I have only proved I am not normal.
The End.

[Image: 55-A873-FC-805-C-4129-9-D5-B-B2-EA10-C463-D0.jpg]

[Image: DF333-F82-27-F1-4-CA1-A124-2301-E2-F15099.jpg]

Well, Shane, as I like to say, "Why be normal when it's so easy to be different." Congrats on a job well done.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(08-03-2021, 05:13 PM)N.E.T.O. Wrote: Here are a few that I still need to get:
1.  Brown.  I've been up a fished a few streams with some friends...they've all caught browns...I haven't.  Just unlucky. 
2.  Crappie.  I've actually caught very few over the years and were mostly incidental.  I might try my luck in the fall at Pineview with a friend. 
3.  Sunfish.  Likely hit a few local ponds, they've got to be in there.
4.  Grayling.  Not sure if I'm going to pursue this.  I don't want to hike.

You can catch grayling in Smith and Moorhouse, no need to hike for that one.

PV will be your easiest place to catch your crappie, as you said the Fall is the best time to do that.

Lots of, if not all of, local rivers have browns but walking would be involved.

By sunfish, if you are talking bluegill, Manuta is a good place to try along with your local ponds, as you said.
im jelly ya gots to fish for 5 days
way to make good use outta em
i like starvation for slams
other than calder i havent caught a lot of stillwater browns in years
Ive always wanted to spend a week at ft. Peck and see how many of the 50 sumthin different species i could catch
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Thank you NETO, Catchinon, and Fishskibum.
I had to turn down a two week long fishing trip invitation to Peck because I have a bear tag to fill this month.
I’m not even sure how many species are in Peck, I can think of about 7’ish?
I turned down a Peck trip last winter because of timing and I didn't know that much about the pond at that time.... I've since started to regret missing out on the trip... Monster Mac and Walleye, but the guy I was going with ended up in a ton of 12" + crappie and caught a monster pike... Long drive for crappie, but they were great sized and supposedly were where the big eyes were supposed to be hanging out...He got a couple 21-24" eyes, but the big trophy fish he was telling me were there, never showed up in 3-4 days... Someday, it's now on my bucket list, but I'll have to fish it with someone that knows the area, it's like an extremely large pond, so knowing where to start would really help... Probably a good spot to hire a guide... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
the google says somewhere tween 30 and 50+
20 sumthin natives to the mighty mo
and another 20 or so introduced
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
(08-03-2021, 08:00 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: By sunfish, if you are talking bluegill, Manuta is a good place to try along with your local ponds, as you said.

I've also started catching lots of hybrid sunfish in Mantua every year; bluegill/green sunfish crosses.  Does that count as a "game species"?
Both Bluegill and Green Sunfish( two different species) are both classed in Utah as gamefish.
You bet it counts!
Carp, suckers, chubs, are not gamefish.
But Whitefish are.
Hope that helps?