Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upper Chowen River
Thumbs Up 
Had a chance last week when it got down to the lower 80's and lower humidity to head for the Chowen River. Great day to be out and I did pickup a small bass and two Bowfin.  Sad Not what I had in mind but they do battle it out. Hits were on Black Creature bait, Texas style. I need to pickup some black and blue spinnerbaits as the white don't work here in the stained water. Still learning these southern waters. Hope to get back beginning of Sept. When this heat lets up.
(07-27-2021, 05:57 PM)gdn443 Wrote: Had a chance last week when it got down to the lower 80's and lower humidity to head for the Chowen River. Great day to be out and I did pickup a small bass and two Bowfin.  Sad Not what I had in mind but they do battle it out. Hits were on Black Creature bait, Texas style. I need to pickup some black and blue spinnerbaits as the white don't work here in the stained water. Still learning these southern waters. Hope to get back beginning of Sept. When this heat lets up.

I hear you on the heat, it's been bruital here as well. We are finally getting some relief from 100 degree heat but now the humidity is kicking in. At least no shunk was involved in the trip, was there any size to the Bowfin?
(07-28-2021, 03:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 05:57 PM)gdn443 Wrote: Had a chance last week when it got down to the lower 80's and lower humidity to head for the Chowen River. Great day to be out and I did pickup a small bass and two Bowfin.  Sad Not what I had in mind but they do battle it out. Hits were on Black Creature bait, Texas style. I need to pickup some black and blue spinnerbaits as the white don't work here in the stained water. Still learning these southern waters. Hope to get back beginning of Sept. When this heat lets up.

I hear you on the heat, it's been bruital here as well. We are finally getting some relief from 100 degree heat but now the humidity is kicking in. At least no shunk was involved in the trip, was there any size to the Bowfin?

Bow fin I seem to catch are all bigger than my bass. About 20" average. I may try to head out again tomorrow before the humidity rolls back in. Hopefully in a couple of weeks this stuff will be over. I did try one day 10 days ago and had my best day in the swamps in over a year. 9 bass and a bowfin. I did try a different area. I'll hopefully try Tuesday
(09-06-2021, 01:22 PM)gdn443 Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 03:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Bow fin I seem to catch are all bigger than my bass. About 20" average. I may try to head out again tomorrow before the humidity rolls back in. Hopefully in a couple of weeks this stuff will be over. I did try one day 10 days ago and had my best day in the swamps in over a year. 9 bass and a bowfin. I did try a different area. I'll hopefully try Tuesday

Nice, glad to hear you are finally finding more willing bass, good luck tomorrow. We are finally getting some cooler temps here as well but lots of smoke from those Cal fires. Sad
Headed back to the river and found one bass that made it to the boat. Blue creature bait worked. I'll head back to the swamps on the full moon. On the bright side , Turnips are growing great and some beets did come up on second planting. I've got a few Butternut squash popping out on second planting. Amazing what 10 degree cool down will do. Finally tomatoes don't have the heat scaring.
(09-17-2021, 01:24 PM)gdn443 Wrote: Headed back to the river and found  one bass that made it to the boat. Blue creature bait worked. I'll head back to the swamps on the full moon.  On the bright side , Turnips are growing great and some beets did come up on second planting. I've got a few Butternut squash popping out on second planting. Amazing what 10 degree cool down will do. Finally tomatoes don't have the heat scaring.

Good to hear you kept the skunk off with the bass, hope the swamps treat you even better. That's awesome the cooler temps have helped your garden do better. We love butternut squash, you just need a lot of room for them a because they vine out so much. How long does your growing season last there? Are growing season will be coming to an end in a month or so, some stuff like yellow squash is already in decline.