Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Strawberry
Trying to beat the heat, I have been fishing Strawberry more than I typically do this time of year.  Beginning with July 10th and including yesterday I have made six trips up there.  Even at that elevation the afternoon temperatures have been reaching to the mid or upper 80s (after starting out as low as 47 degrees)!

I have been vertically jigging with tube jigs tipped with cut bait and we have been having great success with the cutthroat.  I have taken two newbies, to fishing, and one caught 37 and the other caught 50, so they were both happy. 

I am ready to try new waters, starting with replenishing my chub supply tomorrow.
(07-28-2021, 09:48 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Trying to beat the heat, I have been fishing Strawberry more than I typically do this time of year.  Beginning with July 10th and including yesterday I have made six trips up there.  Even at that elevation the afternoon temperatures have been reaching to the mid or upper 80s (after starting out as low as 47 degrees)!

I have been vertically jigging with tube jigs tipped with cut bait and we have been having great success with the cutthroat.  I have taken two newbies, to fishing, and one caught 37 and the other caught 50, so they were both happy. 

I am ready to try new waters, starting with replenishing my chub supply tomorrow.

Sounds like you are starting early this year Kent, any big ones?
(07-28-2021, 11:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like you are starting early this year Kent, any big ones?

One 24" and one 25 3/4".
(07-29-2021, 02:39 AM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 11:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like you are starting early this year Kent, any big ones?

One 24" and one 25 3/4".

Nice
Kent, I cleaned up on chubs last week at Lost Creek. Filled up a bucket in a couple hours fishing the shallow area south of the boat ramp.
(07-29-2021, 03:39 AM)FatBiker Wrote: Kent, I cleaned up on chubs last week at Lost Creek. Filled up a bucket in a couple hours fishing the shallow area south of the boat ramp.

Randy and I hope to do the same today.
(07-28-2021, 09:48 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Trying to beat the heat, I have been fishing Strawberry more than I typically do this time of year.  Beginning with July 10th and including yesterday I have made six trips up there.  Even at that elevation the afternoon temperatures have been reaching to the mid or upper 80s (after starting out as low as 47 degrees)!

Nice; thanks for a post on the Berry that is not all about kokes.

I like the challenge of kokes and catch some when targeted  but we love jigging for fish no matter where. The Berry has been kind to us in that regard.

Was headed to Fish Lake today but the 80% chance of storm shut us down.  I'm not a great fan of wind especially due to the high cost of getting there and being blown off after 3 hrs.
(07-29-2021, 03:39 AM)FatBiker Wrote: Kent, I cleaned up on chubs last week at Lost Creek. Filled up a bucket in a couple hours fishing the shallow area south of the boat ramp.

Well, Randy caught 101 chubs and I caught 108 in ~ 2 1/2 hours of fishing, so I have my chub supply replenished for another year.
(07-29-2021, 11:16 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:

Well, Randy caught 101 chubs and I caught 108 in ~ 2 1/2 hours of fishing, so I have my chub supply replenished for another year.

Well that should do you for a few days, lol.

Now if you can talk your wives into filleting them and bagging them for the freezer you will be set. Big Grin

Just curious about the size. And would you mind sharing your methods?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(08-03-2021, 05:50 PM)catchinon Wrote: Just curious about the size. And would you mind sharing your methods?

We found them down ~25' from the surface out in about 35' of water.  I moved into the ~25' of water and hit the spot lock.

I like to set up a drop-shot rig and tie 2 or 3 size 6 bait hooks on my line.  Tipping with a small chunk of night crawler will catch them and I found out that they also love mealworms (bought too many for ice season).  We even caught several just using bare hooks!  Dropping straight down, to the bottom, usually gets an immediate bite, but if not one can cast and let it sink to the bottom and slowly bounce back to the boat or the shore.

Average size was ~7to 8".

Next time, I am going to try to remember to take my fish traps.  I have a hunch that I can catch over 100' of them in ~34 minutes with my fish traps.
(08-03-2021, 11:07 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 05:50 PM)catchinon Wrote: Just curious about the size. And would you mind sharing your methods?

We found them down ~25' from the surface out in about 35' of water.  I moved into the ~25' of water and hit the spot lock.

I like to set up a drop-shot rig and tie 2 or 3 size 6 bait hooks on my line.  Tipping with a small chunk of night crawler will catch them and I found out that they also love mealworms (bought too many for ice season).  We even caught several just using bare hooks!  Dropping straight down, to the bottom, usually gets an immediate bite, but if not one can cast and let it sink to the bottom and slowly bounce back to the boat or the shore.

Average size was ~7to 8".

Next time, I am going to try to remember to take my fish traps.  I have a hunch that I can catch over 100' of them in ~34 minutes with my fish traps.

Maybe we were doing wrong but we tried fish traps last year with no success. At least catfood did not work, maybe some other bait would work better.
(08-03-2021, 11:52 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Maybe we were doing wrong but we tried fish traps last year with no success. At least catfood did not work, maybe some other bait would work better.

I believe that I would have to let my traps down by my boat (anchored up in ~25' of water).  I don't think that they are close to the shore.
(08-04-2021, 12:11 AM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(08-03-2021, 11:52 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Maybe we were doing wrong but we tried fish traps last year with no success. At least catfood did not work, maybe some other bait would work better.

I believe that I would have to let my traps down by my boat (anchored up in ~25' of water).  I don't think that they are close to the shore.
That's what we did, let them down from the boat. Hope you have better luck or use a better bait.
Here is a screen shot of my fish finder. There are a lot of chubs in Lost Creek.

[Image: Chubs.png]
Last night we caught them every cast 10-20 feet from shore off the deep side of the boat ramp. Small piece of worm 5 feet below a bobber. Bring binoculars to watch all of the deer in the fields on your way out. There are some nice bucks up there.