Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cats Fast n Slow @ UT Lake 7/23
This is a bit late. Waited for pictures of the grandkids and they never came.

ES: I did a dual trip out of Lincoln on 7/23. Part solo and part grandkids. Got to the ramp a little before 6 and was catfishing the west side about an hour later. Fishing was good early with nearly 7 per hour and the cats were heavy and healthy ranging from 20 to 28 7/8 inches. Water temp had dropped from last time at 76 to 78 degree, so had the channel depth reading 1.9 to 2.5 feet. Maybe 1 more month for my little Al boat at Lincoln. Winds were light to none, with mostly overcast skies until grandkids arrived about 10. Cats all hit WB with fresh getting about 2 to 1 over thawed and this time big attractors worked the best at 0.8 to 1 mph. Preferred depth was a transition at 3.5 to 4.5 FOW.

FS: I arrived at the ramp before sunup to try and get some fresh whities. BLK’s rig was in the parking lot and a little water was still on the ramp so I knew he was on the hunt. The second cast with a small spinner produced a white about 6” long, and then nothing for 15 minutes. As the sky started to brighten in the east the whites began to slurp and gobble midges and larvae so I switched to a bobber and flies. Just then R2U2 and Mrs. J pulled up. Second cast with the flies and I got another 6” specimen on a #16 midge larvae imitation. It was just enough to give the impression I knew what I was doing but the fish wanted no more of my flies either.

Richard came over an offered to back my boat in saying I didn’t have to do it solo with him there. I appreciated the kind gesture and accepted his offer. I went out around the point and headed for the west side.

I ended up south of the knolls in about 3 FOW and started pulling a large FLAIT with the head of my volunteer white and dragging the fly and bobber hoping for some more bait. I had five more people coming out later and I didn’t want to run out. Strangely, one of the 2 whites from the ramp had vanished as I crossed the lake. I suspect it flopped under the floorboards, but for all my looking I couldn’t find it. If my suspicions are correct I’ll be able to find it by “stinkolocation” in another day or two.

It was looking like a beautiful morning with little or no wind and moderate cloud cover to keep my brain from frying. The cats were cooperative with three checking out the inside of my boat in the first 20 minutes. Like all the others, they decided not stay so I thanked them for the fun and sent them on their way. After half an hour I gave up on the bait and pulled the flies out of the water. To my surprise I had a white on the same larvae imitation. This one was the smallest I have landed to date, coming it at barely 2” long.

Now I had 2 cat rods fishing and the first hour produced 6 cats with only one under 25”. Lots of fun and tugs, but nothing over 28.5”, so no bump. The first fish of the second hour proved to be the biggest of the day, and the toughest. It hit hard and ran sideways and got into the other line. With the fish still out about 30 feet the two hooks from the other rod came out of the water hopelessly tangled around the braid the fish was on. Every time I see that I tell myself I should give up on the braid. My eyes are just having a hard time seeing how to unravel it. Mono is easier to see.

Since I couldn’t untangle the mess, I started to bring the fish in hand over hand like I did commercial tolling for salmon as a kid. Then I changed my mind and just cut the hooks and swivels off the mono and unthreaded everything.  That worked quickly and I got the fish in. I knew it was a good fish, but it looked a little short in the water. When I laid it on the board it confirmed my earlier judgement. It was easily 28 and 7/8” but wouldn’t make 29. It weighed almost 11 ½ pounds and that usually means 30” but this gal had a squared off nose and some tail missing. Oh well, still much fun.

The second hour also yielded 6 cats with only one under 25”. It was looking a like a great day to bring out grandkids. I had thought the fish would be moving deeper after the spawn, but almost every time I crossed the 4 foot line I got fish. Only a few came deeper that 4.5 or shallower than 3.5 feet.

The third hour started slow and I only had 4 more when my son texted and said they were leaving Spanish Fork. Minutes after that Julie called and I was fighting number 17. It turned out to be a really black fish that was covered with battle scars and weighed in at about 10 pounds…and 28-7/8”. It wasn’t all the way in when another one hooked up on the other rod. It had to wait. As soon as the black one was unhooked I tossed a pre-baited spare setup in and went to work on the 2nd fish. As if it was an instant replay the spare rod hooked up just as the 2nd fish went in the net. 

It waited while I released the black one and put that bait back in. When I landed the third fish I decided to leave that rod out of the water or I might never get to the dock to pick up the family. Before I could get those 2 fish measured and released, the lone rod in the water was hooked up again. I landed this one quickly as it was barely 20” long. What a flurry! That meant 8 cats in the third hour and it was looking great for the grandkids. Looks can be deceiving.

When I got to the dock, they were just getting unloaded and everyone was excited to get out on the water and catch some fish.

I took the boat back to where I had ended an hour earlier and just like I hoped the first cat was on in less than 10 minutes. A nice 5 pounder for William. Then the sun came out of the clouds and it took 20 minutes for Luke to get his, almost 7 pounds. The sun got hotter and there were a few “can we go home now” whispers going around the boat. The little wind there had been died out completely and it took 30 minutes for Evelynn to get her cat, another one over 6 pounds. I could see the handwriting (and hear the boredom building) so I broke out the ultralight tried to speed things up. 20 minutes later the little ones were complaining and Bowen was trying to justify staying so Shay could get a fish.

Finally a little tap on the ultralight and we had a white bass on. Fortunately She

a was more than happy to get his white bass! Bowen immediately said “Let’s get those rods out of the water before we have to start another round!” And we did.

So it was a great morning of catching for me, but the grandkid part of the trip fizzled. We knew it had to happen eventually as they had gotten a dozen in less than 2 hours in each of their last two trips. At least they have the memories of those days to hold them over until the next great trip!

Note to self: “Next time try to get them on the water an hour earlier.”

[Image: Dark-Launch.jpg][Image: Sunrise.jpg][Image: Light-Almost-29.jpg][Image: Tiny-Whitie.jpg]
[Image: Dark-Almost-29.jpg][Image: Smaller-Cat.jpg]

Great report and lots of fun with the grandkids even though it slowed a bit. It’s good to get the kids outdoors and fishing!!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Thanks for the kind words. Their parents didn't grow up and become fishermen, but there is hope fo the next generation Smile
Always a pleasure to read your reports Jim. That sunrise picture is my favorite and even though I have seen it many times I always enjoy it -- my favorite time on the lake.

I was at Lincoln this morning (29th), a ritualistic annual visit to relive some special memories of my grandson who was killed on this date in 2008. The early morning visit helps.

Anyway, I spent some time abusing the wb at the ramp. Lots of bass from 3 to 10 inches long. All were released. The water level was not noticeably lower than it was last week. There were a few walleye guys over by the orchard, quarter mile walk to the water and another quarter mile wading out. I managed to land a 27 inch walleye at the end
[Image: DSC01278.jpg]
of the ramp. I had to use a pair pliers to avoid the smell but a walleye is a walleye. Huh  Also noticed a couple of guys fishing from the comfort of lawn chairs at the first spring rocks. Just before I left a power squadron boat pulled in for a launch. I hung around long enough to witness the launch -- no trouble launching and working out the channel. Good to know. I hope to get my boat out again as soon as the weather calms a bit. Maybe the rain in the forecast for this weekend will bring the overall lake depth up a few inches. Wink

Thanks again for the report. it ain't over yet and those 30 inchers should be putting in an appearance soon.

Lynn aka BLK

[Image: DSC01284.jpg]  [Image: DSC01281.jpg]
Thanks Lynn! Wow I like the picture of that "skinny catfish with all the teeth!" Way to go! I'm glad someone gets one now and again!

I think the post spawn feed is on. The two largest I got last time both hit larger baits so I'm thinking the time is right for those 30's as well.

It sounds like a good way to relive those memories.