Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon- any reports?
Has anyone fished East Canyon reservoir from a boat lately?
(07-29-2021, 07:47 PM)fishgiver Wrote: Has anyone fished East Canyon reservoir from a boat lately?

I've been thinking about getting up to EC but trout are not my favorite fish to catch and keep. Unless there are other fish to catch and keep, I haven't seen a reason to made the trip there this year. I know there are rainbows, crappie, sm bass and wipers there now but are there other fish in there now? Did they stock kokanee there?
They did stock kokes but I have not heard much about them in nets yet. Smallie action has been ok, but if that were my target I would try Echo or Rockport in this area, before EC. Although there are some good sized smallies in EC waiting if you want to play thier game
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(07-31-2021, 12:24 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: They did stock kokes but I have not heard much about them in nets yet. Smallie action has been ok, but if that were my target I would try Echo or Rockport in this area, before EC. Although there are some good sized smallies in EC waiting if you want to play thier game

I thought I remembered something about that but wasn't sure. Back in the 70's or 80's there was a self sustainable population of kokes in EC but during the years of a low constant stream flow, Sadly they did not survive. Hopefully with the DWR stocking them now, things will turn around this time. Was last year the first year they stocked the kokes in EC?
(07-31-2021, 12:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 12:24 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: They did stock kokes but I have not heard much about them in nets yet. Smallie action has been ok, but if that were my target I would try Echo or Rockport in this area, before EC. Although there are some good sized smallies in EC waiting if you want to play thier game

I thought I remembered something about that but wasn't sure. Back in the 70's or 80's there was a self sustainable population of kokes in EC but during the years of a low constant stream flow, Sadly they did not survive. Hopefully with the DWR stocking them now, things will turn around this time. Was last year the first year they stocked the kokes in EC?

It looks like they started stocking the Kokanee in 2019.
(07-31-2021, 04:16 PM)gofish435 Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 12:49 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

It looks like they started stocking the Kokanee in 2019.

That's good, so this year they would be 2 years old. So depending on how big they were when they were stocked, they could be 11 or 12" long by now?
I would guess next year they would start to be caught in numbers by anglers if enough survive the smallies, wipers snd such. Rockport was also planted in 2019 with kokes. I know a few in the 10 to 12 inch range have been caught this year. Hopefully next year could be good for decent 14 to 16? Inch kokes at both.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(07-31-2021, 04:49 PM)Mildog Wrote: I would guess next year they would start to be caught in numbers by anglers if enough survive the smallies, wipers snd such. Rockport was also planted in 2019 with kokes. I know a few in the 10 to 12 inch range have been caught this year. Hopefully next year could be good for decent 14 to 16? Inch kokes at both.

Do you know if they also planted them in Lost creek that same year, 2019?
Actually I just checked agsin Rockport and lost creek we’re planted in 2020
About 30k In Rockport about 16k in lost creek.
Next year they should be catchable keeper sized at those two lakes.
(07-31-2021, 06:47 PM)Mildog Wrote: Actually I just checked agsin Rockport and lost creek we’re planted in 2020
About 30k In Rockport about 16k in lost creek.
Next year they should be catchable keeper sized at those two lakes.

If that is the case the ones in East canyon could be a decent size already, since the ones in Lost creek are already up to 11.5". I'll have to get up there and give it a try.
Give it a try and let us know. I wonder if enough can survive the wipers and smallmouth to provide some decent action. I caught a few up there in the early 70’s when they were running up the river.
First place in Utah I caught and ate Crawdad!! I was just a kid..
(07-29-2021, 07:47 PM)fishgiver Wrote: Has anyone fished East Canyon reservoir from a boat lately?

We were trolling up there two weeks ago while camping for a week. Went out two evenings pulling Rapalas and caught a total of four really nice Bows. Colors did not seem to matter much. Used Gold, Orange, & Chartreus.

TiteLines
The plants should hold their own against the smallies and wipers because of different temperature preferences of the fish.
Trout and salmon will seek out the cold water they prefer, which should put them below the thermocline of what the bass and wipers prefer.
Key word...should.
That’s not actually accurate. Smallies will inhabit the same temp zone much of the time and eat Kokanee for sure! Several lakes in Idaho they eat kokanee for sure. Friends I have up there catch them and they have kokes in their stomachs. They use swim baits in koke colors to get big smallmouth. I catch kokes in Several lakes in UT And other states in 60 plus degree water temps that’s right in smallmouth wheelhouse.
A month ago in an unarmed lake out of state we caught 23 kokanee at 15 feet or less, surface temps were 70 degrees. Temp on fish hawk at 15 feet was still 69 degrees.
My little brother got into some nice smallies at the gorge a few weeks back, one spit out a 7 inch koke when he landed it. SMB and Wipers do eat kokes. Trout survive better because they are usually planted at 8 to 10 inches, kokes are planted at 2.5 to 3 inches, a nice snack for hungry predators.
If water levels hold for a bit longer at East Canyon, I'm going to fish it soon. Right after school starts and the power squadron stops their nonsense on weekdays.
These are not the kokanee your looking for.  Move along....

so many people fishing up there it's crazy even during the week!
Haven't been there myself, but watched a You Tube Video of some guys who were up there. Looks like lots of water on the ramp. Here is the link to the video !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2Guy_rmJr0

These guys are CRAZY, but do some really interesting things. Very funny video !!!
I'm pretty sure those guys are the diesel brothers, they have a TV show by that same name I believe.
Yep, that is the crew !! Their recovery of an excavator from the mud at the Great Salt Lake is magic !! They do some really incredible stuff. There are recovering another excavator some where that has not be posted yet. Looking forward to watching it .