Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cowboy's ghost carp (Really Cookie's Cats)
I managed to drag myself out of my slumber early this morning to run to Willard. Wanted to meet up with Pat to pick up some more trinkets. Decided while we were there we might as well fish, cause well, we were there. Water is so low. Decided to fish the channel coming out of the marina. Pat and Lee must have been good luck, because just as Pat came through fish on. Barely got that one off when Lee floated by and bam. Cat number 2. 3 and 4 followed pretty close behind and then nothing. The minute the sun hit the water they were gone. Not huge cats, 24" probably. Just perfect for tonight's dinner. 
I will include the video of this morning's adventure. You will notice part way through the video, Cowboy catches a ghost carp on one of Pat's trinkets. (Just watch the video. I don't even know what he was doing)
Now I can't wait to try my new trinkets at Rockport. 

https://youtu.be/bV2IxsRcxqY
Now waitaminnit!  Those little whirlies are good but they can't "wake the dead".  You're a sick puppy.
The last three trips I haven't made it out of the marina without at least one kitty.
(07-29-2021, 10:48 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Now waitaminnit!  Those little whirlies are good but they can't "wake the dead".  You're a sick puppy.

But he fought well above his class Wink
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(07-30-2021, 01:49 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(07-29-2021, 10:48 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Now waitaminnit!  Those little whirlies are good but they can't "wake the dead".  You're a sick puppy.

But he fought well above his class Wink
Dead carp ain't got no class...just like anyone who would hook one on a line and pretend they caught it.  Sheesh!

I'll have you know that I always treat carp with respect.  They are a fine game fish and deserve to be released unharmed.  Like the one in this picture.

Yep. I have troubles handling carp just like in the picture. Don't know what is wrong with my "proceedure".
Pat, that look on your face reminds me of Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. Tell me you didn’t eat the carp with a side a fav’e beans!!
I have a similar pic of you from way back in time, seems like you could be a serial carper!
LOL
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(08-04-2021, 03:05 AM)Mildog Wrote: Pat, that look on your face reminds me of Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. Tell me you didn’t eat the carp with a side a fav’e beans!!
I have a similar pic of you from way back in time, seems like you could be a serial carper!
LOL
Nope.  Not the WHOLE carp.  Like Mr. H. I just opted for the liver.  And not fava beans...refried beans.  I have my own preferences, ya know.

Is a serial carper worse than a cereal carper?  I have used corn flakes to make carp dough balls.
Cereal carper is better ! Wheaties or cornflakes with a bit of strawberry gelatin and just enough water all mashed together to make a firm dough, makes a mean carp doug ball!! Carp love it!! I have used that recipe at many places and caught a lot of Carp at local ponds, duck clubs and even lake Powell with it. learned that from Lefty Kreh when I met him when he would do appearances and clinics at the store.
Next time enjoy a fine Chianti with your carp liver!! Heading to AK for a week to chase finny critters. i’ll check in when i get back, then off for Archery hunt for a few days.
Carpe Diem !!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Cowboy or anybody else; what is the advantage of the Santee rig over, say, a floating jig and regular slip sinker?
(08-05-2021, 03:09 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Cowboy or anybody else; what is the advantage of the Santee rig over, say, a floating jig and regular slip sinker?

I like both options as well as a simple carolina rig. Ours stats for the last two years are about even on catches between the three. I can float a bigger bait with the santee rig with less chance of it snagging. If they are aggressive I like the flig or whirly flig (plus the option of other species improves). If they are a bit more passive and want to study the bait I like the Caronia and Santee rigs. But to be frank, like most baits and lures and fishermen, it comes down to what you have had success with as we are creatures of habit and often reach for the same thing over and over just cause we have confidence in it.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(08-05-2021, 03:09 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Cowboy or anybody else; what is the advantage of the Santee rig over, say, a floating jig and regular slip sinker?
Santee rigs were originally developed for fishing blue cats...that customarily cruise and feed above the bottom more than some other catfish species.  But they also work for those other species.  And, as has been suggested, anglers tend to stick with something that has produced on any given day.

Here are a couple of articles I snagged off the internet.

Attached Files
.pdf   HOW TO FISH SANTEE.pdf (Size: 418.73 KB / Downloads: 0)
.pdf   Santee Cooper Rig For Catfish.pdf (Size: 589.26 KB / Downloads: 0)