Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Flaming Gorge trip report.
I just got back from 3 days at the Gorge.  The target fish was kokanee.  Two of us started Tuesday at Buckboard with arrival about 9 AM.  We fished until about 1:30 PM when the wind forced a halt.  Our total for our 4.5-hour effort was 1 kokanee and 1 cutthroat in the box.

On Wednesday morning, we were on the water and lines down at 6 AM.  Again, we fished until 1 PM.  Our take was 1 kokanee, 1 cutthroat, & 1 rainbow in the box.

Nobody we talked to on the lake or at the cleaning station did much better.  1 to 4 fish per boat was the norm.

On Thursday morning we went to the Sheep Creek area.  Dropped our lines at 6:30 AM and had 3 kokanee in the box in 5 minutes.  It slowed way down on kokanee after that first flurry, but the planter rainbows kept us busy all morning.  We also put a laker pup in the box.  We quit at Noon with 7 kokanee in the box with all of them between 1 and 1.5 pounds.  We C&R’d a couple dozen of 7-8” bows and one 14” cutthroat.  We also released 2 or 3 kokanee in the 6-7” range.

Reports from any area on the Wyoming side are about the same all the way from Anvil to Buckboard.  We even heard a report that one of the guides offered his clients, who specifically wanted to fish the Buckboard area, a refund because he couldn’t guarantee them a successful outcome in that area.

If you’re looking for a full limit of 3# plus kokanee, I’m afraid you are going to be disappointed.  If size isn’t a priority and a limit of good eating size salmon is a winner, then you might do okay on the Utah side in the Sheep Creek/Hideout area.

If you haven’t been to the Gorge yet this year, let me warn you that the number of boats you will encounter if you go is going to be 2 or 3 times more than you have seen in past years.  The fishing pressure has been HUGE this year and is probably part of the reason for the lower success rate this year.

Good luck if you go; you’re going to need a bunch of it.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
That is too bad about your lack of success, especially after driving that far but I doubt you would have done much better at the Berry. Some people are suggesting the reason for the lack of success this year at the Berry is because of the number of kokes they are stocking in other N Utah lakes but with the same issue occurring at the Gorge, I doubt it. I think it is the huge increase in the amount of people out fishing since Covid began, seems like people don't work anymore or at least are not working the same, with huge amounts of people out during the week. I think the people that are having success are fishing where others are not fishing, like you did at Sheep creek. The kokes are seeing such a huge number of dodgers and lures anymore that they are getting shy of even coming near them. Thanks for the report Bob, I was wondering where you had been lately.
Your comment about abnormally high numbers of boats at the Gorge got me wondering if the low water and poor launch conditions at other local waters is pushing more boats that way?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Tough kokanee bite seems to be the norm no matter what lake you fish this year. The Gorge hasn't treated me too good this year coming home with 1 or sometimes 2 fish a trip. As far as boat traffic it shows sign of a hammering in place. Most of my trips have been to Strawberry yielding same results. A report I received a couple of days ago is Flaming Gorge has increased flows out of the dam so water levels should be dropping more significantly.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF