Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard catfishing...
Photo 
We kind of new at catfishing at Willard - but as the wipers and walleye seem to be hunkered down with the 80 degree water temps, cats are the only game in town.  Thuru trial & error, we've figured out our favorite bait and are doing pretty good, but what is this whirly/floatie rig that so many of you WB veterans speak?
[Image: 20210727-111600-0.jpg]
Shucks, looks like you're doing good.
i like your priest
and i bets the dude will abide
your flig questions
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Looks like this is your first post.  Welcome aboard.  We speak Willardese and Catfish lingo here.

I guess I can assume a lot of the blame for the fligs and such.  Been using floating jigs for a lot of years and started making some new lines a few years ago.  Utah fishies have voted favorably for most models...and the "Whirly Fligs" are one of the more recent developments...with little propeller blades on them.  The combination of floating above the bottom, being proven fishy colors and having the flash and vibration of the little spinner blade really helps.  Then adding your choice of crawler or fish flesh seals the deal.

The good news is that Willard cats are pretty agreeable for almost anything you wanna offer them.  It would be harder to find something they won't hit than something they will.  Sounds like you have already worked out something that works well for you.  But if you're like a lot of us, you're always looking for something that might work a little better...or at least make you think it does.

I am attaching a PDF file writeup on the Whirly Fligs.  If you are handy with tacklecraft, it is easy to make your own and I will be glad to provide not only some written material but will gladly give you a personal demo and show you how to do it yourself.  If not, I do sell a few.  I'm cheap and well worth it.

EDIT:  I am also going to attach a writeup I did on Willard catfish.  Hope it helps.

Attached Files
.pdf   WHIRLY FLIGS.pdf (Size: 1.72 MB / Downloads: 14)
.pdf   WILLARD BAY CATFISH.pdf (Size: 807.39 KB / Downloads: 2)
Thanks a lot for the info. Been tying flies, tackle crafting and building custom rods for 40+ years, so I'll give it a go.

Thanks again for sharing. We're on WB one weekday a week, but over on the NW quadrant.  Found this "bump" ( 9 feet rise with 13-14 all around) - purely by luck - on the bottom earlier this year, marked it on the GPS graph and it's our "drive thru" fishing hole.
(07-30-2021, 11:58 PM)LundLefty Wrote: Thanks a lot for the info. Been tying flies, tackle crafting and building custom rods for 40+ years, so I'll give it a go.

Thanks again for sharing. We're on WB one weekday a week, but over on the NW quadrant.  Found this "bump" ( 9 feet rise with 13-14 all around) - purely by luck - on the bottom earlier this year, marked it on the GPS graph and it's our "drive thru" fishing hole.
Good on ya.  Always nice to discover a special spot overlooked or underlooked by other anglers. 

Here is a writeup on some of the basics of fligology.  As I promised, I would be happy to have you visit my playroom to get a first hand look at the little tricks and tactics I have come up with to make fligs faster, easier and better.  After that I'm sure your own creativity will kick in and you will have a new game to play.

I also have been tying flies and making lures for several decades.  Ditto for rods.  Always great to be able to catch those silly fish on something you have devised and created.

Attached Files
.pdf   MAKING FLIGS.pdf (Size: 3.35 MB / Downloads: 4)