Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton reservoir: ramp condition, water level, and fishing report
The water level at Newton reservoir continues to go down and the base of the boat ramp is now out of the water.  Today several small motor boats managed to launch and load up without much problem.  Boats on bigger trailers would probably have a tough time.  The water level is to the point where it is difficult for shore fisherman to get close to the bank without getting really muddy except for the area west of the boat ramp.  Fish that are caught need to be lifted and swung up to drier ground.  Trying to land and unhook something like a tiger musky from shore would be a very messy and risky affair for the angler.

The fishing was very good this morning.  It was overcast with a slight breeze.  The bluegills were hitting pieces of worms on jigs with regularity.  It didn't matter if the offerings were suspended under a bubble or on the bottom.  The largest bluegill I caught was about 8 1/2 inches while the majority averaged about 7 inches, all of which were released.  If a person wanted to catch their 100 fish bluegill limit they could have probably done that today although as mentioned the typical size isn't that great.

Around 10:15 a.m. the crappie became very active and were feeding on the surface in small groups.  They were working the water at about my casting limit of around 25 yards out from shore and if I could get a jig in their vicinity it drew an immediate strike after hitting the water.  Had a lot of fun catching those for about an hour.  They all averaged right about 11 inches, with a few a bit smaller and some slightly larger.

Also caught a released a couple of bass in the 13 inch range.  No perch caught today.  Photos attached.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for the report and pictures.

I've never been there but it looks like it would be a fun place to fish when it gets some water back in it.
Good info on what has become a favorite of ours. The last few times we went there the power squad was so bad it left a bad taste in our mouth, but low water has probably sorted that out a bit. I guess given a choice I would take more water and grin and bear the power squad - though.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Lance,
Start saying prayers that the owners of Newton will finally figure out the power squadron’s wave- maker boats are detrimental to the shoreline.
Then, hopefully it becomes a wakeless lake, or a 10 hp max lake like they do a lot of back east.
While you are saying prayers for that, please ask for odd/even wakeless days at Deer Creek and Pineview please.
Thanks!