Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln latest
Arrived at Lincoln right at 6:00 this a.m. Lots of wb at the end of the ramp but they are small, 2 1/2 inch young of the year, lots of 'em but too small for my 8/0 circle hooks. Water continues to drop, about 2 ft. on my Lowrance, a couple of places at 1.7 ft. I had no trouble launching or exiting the channel. Trimmed up and used big motor, no problem. 

I headed for the west side and noted that the lake depth was right at 6 and half feet all the way across. I started on the north end of the Knolls and worked south. Fishing was kinda slow but the average fish were bigger -- nothing under 26 inches. I caught a couple that I hoped would break the 30 inch mark but not quite. A couple of 28.5 and one at 29. They hit hard and fight hard. 

I lost one world record cat after a brief battle. Felt like an anchor on the end of my line. Hooked him in 3 ft. of water and he made a run toward me, under my boat, and would not come up. He made several trips around the boat but refused to make a run or lift off of the bottom. Broke my 30# braid when I couldn't work him around the prop. Never saw him but have no doubt he was a monster. When he broke off I said some bad words and came close to shedding a few tears. He is still there.

Anyway, I plan to keep launching until I can't and then I'll take up the kayak. Like I say -- he is still there.

[Image: DSC01288.jpg]
(08-03-2021, 09:22 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Arrived at Lincoln right at 6:00 this a.m. Lots of wb at the end of the ramp but they are small, 2 1/2 inch young of the year, lots of 'em but too small for my 8/0 circle hooks. Water continues to drop, about 2 ft. on my Lowrance, a couple of places at 1.7 ft. I had no trouble launching or exiting the channel. Trimmed up and used big motor, no problem. 

I headed for the west side and noted that the lake depth was right at 6 and half feet all the way across. I started on the north end of the Knolls and worked south. Fishing was kinda slow but the average fish were bigger -- nothing under 26 inches. I caught a couple that I hoped would break the 30 inch mark but not quite. A couple of 28.5 and one at 29. They hit hard and fight hard. 

I lost one world record cat after a brief battle. Felt like an anchor on the end of my line. Hooked him in 3 ft. of water and he made a run toward me, under my boat, and would not come up. He made several trips around the boat but refused to make a run or lift off of the bottom. Broke my 30# braid when I couldn't work him around the prop. Never saw him but have no doubt he was a monster. When he broke off I said some bad words and came close to shedding a few tears. He is still there.

Anyway, I plan to keep launching until I can't and then I'll take up the kayak. Like I say -- he is still there.

Great news! Too bad you didn't get a net under that big one; it could have been the one I lost earlier. If all goes well Vi and I will be out tomorrow. We took a week off to fish for some trout. Trout don't come close to the Cats when it comes to a good fight.
Thanks for the info Lynn. I will be there thursday and will be working out toward the L. If you happen to be out there give me a shout.
Sounds like a fish story to me... a good one at that... Nice trip Lynn thanks for sharing it with us... Man I wish I could get out and catch a few, your making me nervous that the south is going to win again... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Make sure you let you boat drain on the ramp so you dont waist an water.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Sound like a fun morning. I bet you find those 30+ any day now. I had one on Saturday that wouldn't come off the bottom, but it was a rock! Thanks for the fun report!
(08-03-2021, 09:22 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Arrived at Lincoln right at 6:00 this a.m. Lots of wb at the end of the ramp but they are small, 2 1/2 inch young of the year, lots of 'em but too small for my 8/0 circle hooks. Water continues to drop, about 2 ft. on my Lowrance, a couple of places at 1.7 ft. I had no trouble launching or exiting the channel. Trimmed up and used big motor, no problem. 

Must have been your 36"er. Bigger than the one you got last year? You can just PM me his home address if you want Rolleyes. Maybe a guy ought to get a 9 or 10 foot rod to try to keep them away from the boat.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.