• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Key West Fishing Fun
[Image: FC06-C5-BF-4736-4-DA5-BDFC-20-BB6-B71-DA23.jpg]

[Image: 31587-C75-AC03-4-EE7-ACA6-0-C823-A97-EDF0.jpg]

[Image: 1-B5-EB8-CE-7855-4-DB9-96-DA-16-CD2-DB5-AC3-B.jpg]

[Image: 0-B8-A373-A-E1-F6-44-FB-B8-D1-0-D91-B8-D1-AC4-C.jpg]

[Image: 6908312-A-623-B-4-BF1-8175-52-B7-CD08213-B.jpg]

[Image: 4953276-E-9-D66-4-A6-E-945-C-6921593-E0-E98.jpg]

The end of July had not been great fishing for kokanee at Strawberry, so I was excited to meet my 3 daughters and a son-in-law in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and vacation in the Keys. We had scheduled to snorkel at John Pennekamp, Fort Zachary Taylor and Bahia Honda/Looe Key. I also had an off shore fishing trip booked out of Ramrod Key. The day we left, the captain of the fishing trip canceled as he had contracted Covid. The snorkeling was great, but I really wanted to fish, so a few calls later I was put in touch with Captain JT (James Taylor) on Little Torch Key. It was not to disappoint. Captain JT and his 13 yr old deck hand put us on a school of dolphin (Mahi) early in the trip and we stayed on them for hours. The final total was 40 which was the limit. I will add photos soon.
Awesome job on the Dorados, some great eating there. Sounds like the rest of the vacation is going well also
I brought home quite a few fillets around 15 lbs. frozen in a cooler. The Captain always likes the extra.
(08-08-2021, 11:33 PM)brookie Wrote: I brought home quite a few fillets around 15 lbs. frozen in a cooler. The Captain always likes the extra.

Are they allowed to sell the extra
I suspect they can’t sell the extra, but I think there is a “barter” system in place.
(08-08-2021, 11:46 PM)2knots Wrote:
(08-08-2021, 11:33 PM)brookie Wrote: I brought home quite a few fillets around 15 lbs. frozen in a cooler. The Captain always likes the extra.

Are they allowed to sell the extra

Some captains maintain commercial fishing licenses.  That allows them to sell "surplus" catches.  It also allows them to make "meat runs" on days when they have no paying passengers.  Some of them have standing orders with various restaurants for all they can catch of some of the more popular species.  It also works the other way.  Some small scale commercial boats will hire out for a day of sport fishing for small groups.
Actually the commercial boat hiring out for a day of sport fishing makes sense. Captain JT ran out of a private dock at the back of Kiki's Sandbar Restaurant. He said that the fish we couldn't take with us wouldn't go to waste and I got the idea that he regularly supplied Kiki's with fish. Also it didn't appear that he took out paying passengers consistently. He was referred to us when our reservation was canceled for Covid and was able to pick us up on short notice. And boy did he know where and how to fish along with his 13 yr old deck hand who was also great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUl2UJtiKMU

Here is a link to the video.