Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican lake.
Went to pelican with the kick tubes for a full day Saturday and a half day Sunday. Good news, the bass population is definitely recovering. Caught plenty of healthy bass most around the 10-12 inch range. The lake is a puddle compared to previous years. The water is 4-5’ down. Deepest spot I saw on the tube was 6’ likely and additional 2’ of weeds below that mark. But the majority of kicking around was 3-5’ deep. 
Didn’t catch a single bluegill. That was disappointing. You also have to pay to play now. They’ve added day use, camping sites, bathrooms, no dumpsters, and of course fees.
Who is collecting the fees, State or Federal ???
I believe it was state. We didn’t see any rangers out there during the two days. And the camp host site was abandoned. Probably a total of 4 boats showed up but they were certainly limited on what locations they could fish due to water levels.
(08-09-2021, 05:54 PM)filletedalive Wrote: I believe it was state. We didn’t see any rangers out there during the two days. And the camp host site was abandoned. Probably a total of 4 boats showed up but they were certainly limited on what locations they could fish due to water levels.

Unless they've made recent changes, that pay thing is optional - "pay what you think your experience is worth." The BLM has made significant upgrades to the campgrounds and they're thinking about pay-to-play. BTW the bluegill are doing very well in there too! Here's a short video I did a few weeks back - https://youtu.be/pE2q99I6ng8
Good to see others got into the bass action. It was great to see. I don’t doubt the bluegill are in there. It just was difficult to find them. We tried lots of stuff including straight night crawlers. Just didn’t get on them anywhere we fished. I really hope pelican can recover to its glory days of 12-14 inch bass all day with a few 4+ lbers per day. And a guaranteed limit of awesome bluegill. It seems like it’s a few years out yet but signs are improving. Also if you are planning on camping. Bring hornet spray. The gazebos are basically hornet house. They were literally a pain to deal with. I hate hornets.
(08-10-2021, 12:29 AM)filletedalive Wrote: Good to see others got into the bass action. It was great to see. I don’t doubt the bluegill are in there. It just was difficult to find them. We tried lots of stuff including straight night crawlers. Just didn’t get on them anywhere we fished. I really hope pelican can recover to its glory days of 12-14 inch bass all day with a few 4+ lbers per day. And a guaranteed limit of awesome bluegill. It seems like it’s a few years out yet but signs are improving.  Also if you are planning on camping. Bring hornet spray. The gazebos are basically hornet house. They were literally a pain to deal with. I hate hornets.

Glad you got out. We were in the bass boat on the west end on Saturday. We ended up with 32 with the largest weighing in at about 2.5 lbs. The bass are healthy and hungry.
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!