Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cowboy lost his chirp
Decided at the last minute to run to Rockport last night. Had some tips about where to try (thank you!) and drove to the end to the pavement to Cedar Point. Even though some of the suggested spots were taken, there was still a lot of shoreline available. Didn't start fishing until 7:30, and right off the bat I landed a nice smalley. Started having lots of nibbles and wondered if we were into the dinks again,  but started pulling in some decent perch. Cowboy had brought along his Deeper Chirp castable sonar to get an idea of what was in front of us. Hooked it up to the line, to a big swing to cast it out, and snap! The braided line that he special loaded just for using the Chirp broke. His sonar bobbed quietly about 50 yards off shore. Neither one of us was up to a swim, so we sat and just watched it bob in the waves. Eventually a very nice family came by on kayaks and retrieved it for us.  Since this is the second time he has lost it I think we will stick with using it in our ice holes. Thanks again to the fisherman that gave us tips for where to fish and the awesome family that happened to be out on the water.

The best part of the evening...no power boats! It was so quiet and calm. Even the osprey were were fishing along side us. 

[Image: 2021-08-09-Rockport.jpg]

https://youtu.be/ExehWmt56yo
Perch were all caught on smallest version of pugly perch bugs - - floating jigs tipped with worms. Water was 9-27 ft. Darker it got the closer to shore they came. Temp was 74 - 76. D
Fishing was not fast but pretty steady for 8-10 inch perch with SMB mixed in
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Glad you guys found some fish...and got your Chirp back.
Thanks for the report. Good thing is wasn't a windy day. The chirp could have been carried off by the waves never to be seen again
I'm so unfamiliar with summer fishing, especially th low water. Don't tell me your spot, exactly, but how do you go about finding/choosing a spot?

I've got the day off tomorrow.
Great bass, love the BFT t-shirt, looks great on you. Glad you two are still getting out and doing good for the bass and perch. Glad Lance got his chirp back.
Nice video, it sounds like you had a fun trip.
That's a good bass. Glad you were able to get into some fish.
(08-10-2021, 08:33 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: I'm so unfamiliar with summer fishing, especially th low water.  Don't tell me your spot, exactly, but how do you go about finding/choosing a spot?

I've got the day off tomorrow.

Wish I was an expert in that vs mostly lucky

Sometimes when you are a bank tangler, your spot is anywhere someone isn't. 

But even in low water I am trying to find structure or transition - it sure gets harder when everything left, in low water,  looks like a silt bottom. 

My deeper chirp, helps a lot if I can't spot what I am looking for from a shores eye view.. Sometimes its simply a rise or hump in the silt floor or a lone rock or a switch from mud to gravel floor.. A topo map is also helpful and Google earth looking back over the years is a useful tool. 

If I was going to Rockport in the morning I would likely drive right back to the trail head on this video but hike more towards the dam vs where we were, as that spot gets a fair bit of traffic from the campground. A bit north of the spot we were fishing there is a shallow point coming off that last cove that has some transition to deeper water on the lake side. Ought to be a few hanging there. 

Good luck
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew