Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum
(08-21-2021, 09:31 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: It’s a steep ramp at the end, but we got along fine. Had a fun morning, got 20 keeper perch and probably 10-15 others between gills and little perch. Hyrum is in a lot better shape than Newton. I think it will be fine. Got a 12” perch today so that was one of my better perch out of Hyrum. Fun to fish again. Thanks Greg and Landon. Later J

Nice, a 12 incher from Hyrum is the largest I can remember coming anyone catching. What method were you using to catch them?
Good catching Jeff. How is the new outboard treating you?
Hey Curt, I was using some of Pats fligs tipped with a little sweetener. But the key was finding the bigger fish and I owe my new fish finder that credit. The side imaging really helped us find the fish then we drifted through them over and over. About .4 mph had the best hit rate. We seen a bunch of big fish in the east end, but couldn’t get them to bite. Then we followed the other boats and found a nice group of fish. Most of the fish were 9-10”, but we had a couple good ones find us.

Hey Shawn the motor was doing fine then the trim motor quit so I took it apart to fix it and spilt oil, so now I need to figure out how to get oil back in there. Other than that I really like it. It is under powered for when I take anyone with me, but works great when I fish alone. How did yours work out? Have you tried that 360 much this summer? Man with that set up you are going to be unbeatable on the ice this year. I just ordered the ice ducer and mounting fixture. Now it’s the big expensive part left to buy. I really like this seeing to the sides it helps me find the fish so much better. Looking forward to the hard water. If I don’t get one I may have to tag along and follow you. Hope we have some ice to fish this winter. Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(08-22-2021, 03:12 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Curt, I was using some of Pats fligs tipped with a little sweetener. But the key was finding the bigger fish and I owe my new fish finder that credit. The side imaging really helped us find the fish then we drifted through them over and over. About .4 mph had the best hit rate. We seen a bunch of big fish in the east end, but couldn’t get them to bite. Then we followed the other boats and found a nice group of fish. Most of the fish were 9-10”, but we had a couple good ones find us.

Good to hear that others are having success with that method of slow trolling fligs for perch and we found that the side inder has really helped us find those fish as well. How heavy of weight were you using in front of the flig and how long was the leader on the flig?
Hey Curt I’ve been drop shot rigging my fligs with 1/4 and 1/8 oz sinkers as weights. I like the quarter better for casting, but the fish hit both equally and I don’t get snagged as often with the 1/8 oz. I like this method better than bottom bouncing.
(08-22-2021, 09:43 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Curt I’ve been drop shot rigging my fligs with 1/4 and 1/8 oz sinkers as weights. I like the quarter better for casting, but the fish hit both equally and I don’t get snagged as often with the 1/8 oz. I like this method better than bottom bouncing.
So when you are drop shotting is the flig tied directly to the main line? If so how far is the flig above the weight?
Glad you’re not regretting the switch, even with a few hiccups. Got my boat back from it’s freshening up and took it out on a couple of quick trips. Got a few quirks of my own to handle yet. Still haven’t mounted any of the goodies on it yet. Haven’t made much time for fishing this summer unfortunately. Offer still stands if you want to take the 360 out on your rig for a little while. It’s getting dusty in the corner. Hope my priorities realign soon and I’ll be able to put in more fish time. I’ll check in with you next time I’m up your way, maybe gang up on some of your local swimmers.
(08-18-2021, 11:00 PM)Wells Wrote: Nice report thank you for sharing.  Those are nice perch for Hyrum!

Good reports, those are nice perch anywhere.  10" is easy to fillet. An honest 12" is super nice.
Curt, The reply function don't work on my computer, so I don't have a copy from the previous post, but I have been just tying the flig to the mainline about 10-12" above the weight... After reading Pat's write up I may try a dropper off the mainline, but I kind of hate the line management when I have dangling lines all over tangling up on my rods when they aren't in use... The weight is bad enough to try to keep under control...

Greg had a curly tail jig on and he was really catching the gills, which I never got one on the flig, but I got the bigger perch, so I call it a fair trade...

Shawn, sounds good to get out on the water again... I sure appreciate the 360 offer, but I'd be scared to borrow that expensive of gear, but I sure want to see it on the ice... I'm pretty sure that will help me out a bunch... I'm never very good at picking a spot to drill a hole and seems like I'm usually close to the good spot, but not on it... hopefully a 360 can help me get over the fish... Then I'll have to learn how to catch them... Guess the two of us have about the same summer schedule with needing to get the work done while the weather is right.. How long will your busy season go? I expect the fall is probably the best for your work, once the heat gets better it's probably a lot more enjoyable for you to get stuff done... Hope it's been a good year for you... But looking forward to the hard deck... I'm starting to see some pretty good sales on ice gear, but I haven't even decided what I need yet... If you were looking for the 13 Fishing Ghost reels, they had them on for around $50 and the tickle sticks were in the $30 range, but I'm not as crazy about that type rod or reel anymore... I like a couple for panfish, but I like my spinning reels for any fish with size... and since I've started tying my own rods, I'm not as excited about buying anymore although I'd like to find one of those flat tip blanks to tie me a new rod with that much sensitivity... Too bad about Newton being so low that was a fun spot last winter and I'm afraid it will take some time to get back to the same quality of fish... Now the water is down, you can see why your spot was so good for the bass last winter, I've been trying to take pictures of all the interesting spots that are now above the surface and I've really seen some cool spots on different ponds, but I need to go GPS them so I can find them when the water comes back up.. Maybe they won't be any better than the rest, but it would be fun to check and see anyway... Well have a good day... J

(08-23-2021, 12:30 PM)Gone Forever Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 11:00 PM)Wells Wrote: Nice report thank you for sharing.  Those are nice perch for Hyrum!

Good reports, those are nice perch anywhere.  10" is easy to fillet. An honest 12" is super nice.

Here’s the best one from Saturday. Later J

[Image: 4-DBEB32-C-2-A64-4437-AAE3-1838-CB068-B41.jpg]
(08-21-2021, 09:31 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: It’s a steep ramp at the end, but we got along fine. Had a fun morning, got 20 keeper perch and probably 10-15 others between gills and little perch. Hyrum is in a lot better shape than Newton. I think it will be fine. Got a 12” perch today so that was one of my better perch out of Hyrum. Fun to fish again. Thanks Greg and Landon. Later J

[Image: E0300215-A5-E6-4-D8-A-8001-03-CA5-A6-FF614.jpg]
No thank you for the water fight!! lol

[Image: IMG-0153.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0104.jpg]
(08-23-2021, 01:06 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Curt, The reply function don't work on my computer, so I don't have a copy from the previous post, but I have been just tying the flig to the mainline about 10-12" above the weight... 

[Image: 4-DBEB32-C-2-A64-4437-AAE3-1838-CB068-B41.jpg]

I've never tried fligging at Hyrum, are there a lot of snags there?
That looks to be over 12.5 ", impressive perch for Hyrum.
That new BFT t-shirt looks good on you Jeff.
Regarding the ramp, and to be specific as of this morning, there is about 18 feet from water edge to drop off based on the red line painted on ramp and marking 50' from end.  The attendant in the park office showed me a video from earlier this morning of what the drop off looks like backing in a double axel trailer - not pretty.  There were two single axel trailers in parking lot and the boats fishing, so they made it in.   Me thinks getting close to a pool for canoes, yaks, and toons only.
Hey Greg, yup that was a fun trip even if those spray nozzles at the cleaning station were a little dangerous...
Curt, I guess it depends where you're fishing snag wise. I only lost 1 flig on the day and it ended up being in the anchor rope... We found a spot early that we anchored up and casted the fligs, it was good for quite a few fish and most of the gills, but as long as the breeze was pushing us between .2 to .4 mph we did a lot better just drifting...
I didn't ever see the redline that you mentioned, but if it's only 18' out we had to be really close to it, but we didn't have any issues at all launching my 16' boat. Only issue we had at the ramp, was the folks that thought it was okay to leave their rig parked on the ramp while they were getting their pwc's running which was a long time... Kind of a pet peeve of mine when you tie up the only lane of the ramp after your boats are launched and you just leave it sitting on the ramp and go do something else... Don't know why folks won't pull their rigs out of the way so others can use the ramp.... Anyway enough soap box for today... Later J
(08-24-2021, 12:01 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Curt, I guess it depends where you're fishing snag wise.  I only lost 1 flig on the day and it ended up being in the anchor rope...  We found a spot early that we anchored up and casted the fligs, it was good for quite a few fish and most of the gills, but as long as the breeze was pushing us between .2 to .4 mph we did a lot better just drifting...
 Only issue we had at the ramp, was the folks that thought it was okay to leave their rig parked on the ramp while they were getting their pwc's running which was a long time...  Kind of a pet peeve of mine when you tie up the only lane of the ramp after your boats are launched and you just leave it sitting on the ramp and go do something else... Don't know why folks won't pull their rigs out of the way so others can use the ramp.... Anyway enough soap box for today... Later J

So how deep was the water where you were drifting in? 
Don't feel bad about complaining about folks that hog the ramp like that, same thing happened to me a couple of weeks back at East Canyon. I went so far as to turn them into the Parks folks, then I went down and told them about I turned them in, they moved really quick after that. Some of the excuses people use as to why they need to hog the ramp like that just don't fly. IMO the only reason someone needs to sit on the ramp like that is if their vehicle is broken and isn't running.
We found the fish in 8-12 FOW. There is a little break from shallow to 8’ and the fish were just off the shallows.

I think the ramp raiders didn’t know if their pwc were going to keep running so they were hanging close in case they didn’t keep running. But after 15-20 minutes you’d think they would decide one way or the other. Just not the thing to do when there is only one ramp still in the water and other folks need to use it. But I got off before the wind got very rough so we’re good. Later J
(08-26-2021, 12:27 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: We found the fish in 8-12 FOW. There is a little break from shallow to 8’ and the fish were just off the shallows.

I think the ramp raiders didn’t know if their pwc were going to keep running so they were hanging close in case they didn’t keep running. But after 15-20 minutes you’d think they would decide one way or the other. Just not the thing to do when there is only one ramp still in the water and other folks need to use it.  But I got off before the wind got very rough so we’re good. Later J

Good thing you had the worlds best "Backwards Driver"  lol
That's fur sure, didn't say that we didn't wait for the folks to move... Greg squoze the 6.5' trailer into an 8' opening so we could get loaded.. They moved their trailer after we pushed our way through the small opening... now if that would have been me backing in there, they would have had a few marks down their doors... That's why it's always good to take a former semi-driver with you for the ramp activities... Thanks Greg... Later J