Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard cat question
I plan on targeting cats on Sunday fishing fligs any advice is weicome. My main question is, I have frozen jumbo chubs, how should I prep them for bait.
Depends on the hooks size of the fligs.  For smaller models...with size 1 hooks...you can fillet the chubs and cut bait sized pieces to pin on the hooks.  For "gorilla" fligs...with 3/0 - 6/0 hooks...you can use 1" chunks...or a longer strip of fillet.

Recommend you partially thaw them and then do the filleting and cutting before they get too soft.  You might also wanna sprinkle them with some salt to help firm them up.  
(08-13-2021, 10:07 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Depends on the hooks size of the fligs.  For smaller models...with size 1 hooks...you can fillet the chubs and cut bait sized pieces to pin on the hooks.  For "gorilla" fligs...with 3/0 - 6/0 hooks...you can use 1" chunks...or a longer strip of fillet.

Recommend you partially thaw them and then do the filleting and cutting before they get too soft.  You might also wanna sprinkle them with some salt to help firm them up.  

Will do, thank you pat.
(08-13-2021, 10:02 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I plan on targeting cats on Sunday fishing fligs any advice is weicome. My main question is, I have frozen jumbo chubs, how should I prep them for bait.

With our frozen chubs we let them thaw a little, then just cut them into 3/4 inch chunks, with bigger chubs we cut the chunks in half but we do not fillet them. don't let them thaw out too much or they will be really mushy when you cut them up. You can cut them up the night before you go and just keep them frozen but we have taken them out the day of our trip and cut them up after we get there, only need to let them thaw 1/2 to 1 hours, depending on how long it takes you to drive to the lake and launch.
The way you hook the chub pieces can be important too.  It is usually a good idea to make sure the hook wraps around the spine in the center for better bait retention during casting and "pop and drop" hits.  It may seem like the bait will prevent good hooksets but when a cat chomps down on a piece of chub it gets "skooshed" pretty good and the hook point can do its work.  Still, on big pieces of bait it can be a good idea to leave the hook point exposed.
(08-14-2021, 02:12 AM)TubeDude Wrote: The way you hook the chub pieces can be important too.  It is usually a good idea to make sure the hook wraps around the spine in the center for better bait retention during casting and "pop and drop" hits.  It may seem like the bait will prevent good hooksets but when a cat chomps down on a piece of chub it gets "skooshed" pretty good and the hook point can do its work.  Still, on big pieces of bait it can be a good idea to leave the hook point exposed.

It’s 5am my guest for today don’t arrive until 6:30 am, I made up a couple batches of bait. I thawed our a couple foot long chubs and cubed them up salted and put in a bag I also have been marinating chicken cubes in Fast Randy’s secret sauce. Hope the  cats find my bait to their liking.
We got one on a motor oil colored flig, baited with salted chub, near the light pole. After covering a lot of water at a couple other spots. We switched over to shad pattern rattling cranks at 2.4mph and started towards the island. We hooked a triple out in the nothingness and landed 2 of them, they tangled all of the gear and was fun. The teenager reeled in 2 of the three fish we put in the box. That was the last action of the day before we bagged it at noon.
[Image: 9-B8-B78-DD-25-CD-4806-B7-CC-0-B4-C0-AA7-F1-D7.jpg]
(08-15-2021, 07:49 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: We got one on a motor oil colored flig, baited with salted chub, near the light pole. After covering a lot of water at a couple other spots. We switched over to shad pattern rattling cranks at 2.4mph and started towards the island. We hooked a triple out in the nothingness and landed 2 of them, they tangled all of the gear and was fun. The teenager reeled in 2 of the three fish we put in the box. That was the last action of the day before we bagged it at noon.

How fast were you trolling the flig, glad you guys got a few.
(08-15-2021, 07:49 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: We got one on a motor oil colored flig, baited with salted chub, near the light pole. After covering a lot of water at a couple other spots. We switched over to shad pattern rattling cranks at 2.4mph and started towards the island. We hooked a triple out in the nothingness and landed 2 of them, they tangled all of the gear and was fun. The teenager reeled in 2 of the three fish we put in the box. That was the last action of the day before we bagged it at noon.
[Image: 9-B8-B78-DD-25-CD-4806-B7-CC-0-B4-C0-AA7-F1-D7.jpg]

well done captain, love the SmileCool Cool
(08-16-2021, 12:04 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

.4mph on average
(08-16-2021, 01:22 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

.4mph on average

You got a few. Way to go. Any problems launching your boat? Is there still enough water?
(08-16-2021, 01:42 PM)fast_randy Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 01:22 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

.4mph on average

You got a few. Way to go. Any problems launching your boat? Is there still enough water?

Plenty of water the south marina is about 3 ft. deep off the courteous dock.