Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 8/13/21
I fished Strawberry, with my brother and our wives,from 7am until about 4:30 from my boat. We started out in Strawberry bay casting tube jigs tipped with a worm as suggested by KentOfNSL, as seen on YouTube with Don Alphin (please forgive if I've miss spelled), and a few others. They make it look/sound idiot proof. Well....I must be the improved idiot because it didn't work for me. I tried vertically jigging, casting out and reeling slow, casting and reeling fast, casting and reeling with a jigging motion, dropping to the bottom then reeling up and staying still, dropping to the bottom and jigging. After an hour we decided to motor over to Chicken Creek. We started long line trolling with orange blade Panther Martin's, Thomas Cyclone spoons, Firetiger Mepps Cyclops, whatever everyone had in their tackle box. The Thomas Cyclone spoon was the biggest producer. We started trolling at about 1.3 to 2mph by the app on my cell phone after the cell phone died we just went by feel of the rod and tone of the kicker motor. We came home with one Cutthroat under the slot and eleven rainbows.
(08-15-2021, 01:25 AM)sanitarymechanic Wrote: We started out in Strawberry bay casting tube jigs tipped with a worm as suggested by KentOfNSL

Sorry, but you must of misread my post.  I would tip with a worm as a last resort.  Cut-bait chub is my go-to bait. 

How deep of water were you anchored over?
(08-15-2021, 01:25 AM)sanitarymechanic Wrote: I fished Strawberry, with my brother and our wives,from 7am until about 4:30 from my boat. We started out in Strawberry bay casting tube jigs tipped with a worm as suggested by KentOfNSL, as seen on YouTube with Don Alphin (please forgive if I've miss spelled), and a few others. They make it look/sound idiot proof. Well....I must be the improved idiot because it didn't work for me. I tried vertically jigging, casting out and reeling slow, casting and reeling fast, casting and reeling with a jigging motion, dropping to the bottom then reeling up and staying still, dropping to the bottom and jigging. After an hour we decided to motor over to Chicken Creek. We started long line trolling with orange blade Panther Martin's, Thomas Cyclone spoons, Firetiger Mepps Cyclops, whatever everyone had in their tackle box. The Thomas Cyclone spoon was the biggest producer. We started trolling at about 1.3 to 2mph by the app on my cell phone after the cell phone died we just went by feel of the rod and tone of the kicker motor. We came home with one Cutthroat under the slot and eleven rainbows.
Thanks for posting. You didn't do too bad.  Tipping with chub or sucker will improve your odds.
(08-15-2021, 04:29 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 01:25 AM)sanitarymechanic Wrote: I fished Strawberry, with my brother and our wives,from 7am until about 4:30 from my boat. We started out in Strawberry bay casting tube jigs tipped with a worm as suggested by KentOfNSL, as seen on YouTube with Don Alphin (please forgive if I've miss spelled), and a few others. They make it look/sound idiot proof. Well....I must be the improved idiot because it didn't work for me. I tried vertically jigging, casting out and reeling slow, casting and reeling fast, casting and reeling with a jigging motion, dropping to the bottom then reeling up and staying still, dropping to the bottom and jigging. After an hour we decided to motor over to Chicken Creek. We started long line trolling with orange blade Panther Martin's, Thomas Cyclone spoons, Firetiger Mepps Cyclops, whatever everyone had in their tackle box. The Thomas Cyclone spoon was the biggest producer. We started trolling at about 1.3 to 2mph by the app on my cell phone after the cell phone died we just went by feel of the rod and tone of the kicker motor. We came home with one Cutthroat under the slot and eleven rainbows.
Thanks for posting. You didn't do too bad.  Tipping with chub or sucker will improve your odds.

I had not thought of sucker meat. Are you talking regular Utah sucker like what can be caught in the Jordan River?

(08-15-2021, 02:08 AM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 01:25 AM)sanitarymechanic Wrote: We started out in Strawberry bay casting tube jigs tipped with a worm as suggested by KentOfNSL

Sorry, but you must of misread my post.  I would tip with a worm as a last resort.  Cut-bait chub is my go-to bait. 

How deep of water were you anchored over?

We didn't really anchor it was a calm morning. We started about 40 feet. Eventually drifted in to about 15 feet. It seems like I read a post from you last year titled "they're predicting an early winter" or something like that where you talked about using tube jigs tipped with a worm. Maybe I mixed what you said in that post with other things I researched over the last month's (was going to go out last fall but my boat gave me some ignition problems that took me some time to figure out). I had read your post last week where you said chub meat was best, I just didn't have any chub meat.
Yes, utah sucker. Tip your jigs with a small piece of sucker or chub (skin on).  It will stay on the hook longer with skin attached and you can usually catch multiple fish per piece of bait. The fish are deep right now and any decent electronics can help you find the concentrations of fish.  Anchoring or using spot lock if you have it at those spots and vertical jigging with the tubes usually can put a lot of slot cutts in the boat.  If you are wanting to keep fish, the rainbows are usually shallower.  Sounds like you figured the bows out.  Any size to them?
(08-15-2021, 07:57 AM)sanitarymechanic Wrote: We didn't really anchor it was a calm morning. We started about 40 feet. Eventually drifted in to about 15 feet.

You were fishing in too shallow of water.  The cutthroats can not survive if they stay in the shallower water up there these days.  The surface temperature is between 67 and 70 degrees, which is fine for warm water species but not for trout.  We have been finding them in 55 to 63' of water and most are near the bottom.
(08-15-2021, 02:07 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Yes, utah sucker. Tip your jigs with a small piece of sucker or chub (skin on).  It will stay on the hook longer with skin attached and you can usually catch multiple fish per piece of bait. The fish are deep right now and any decent electronics can help you find the concentrations of fish.  Anchoring or using spot lock if you have it at those spots and vertical jigging with the tubes usually can put a lot of slot cutts in the boat.  If you are wanting to keep fish, the rainbows are usually shallower.  Sounds like you figured the bows out.  Any size to them?

Your statement of "It will stay on the hook longer with skin attached and you can usually catch multiple fish per piece of bait." I find to be true also.
The other thing that I find is that I loose most all the meat on the first fish.  I then continue to fish with the skin and do just as well.  When freshening  bait I leave the prior skin and after another fish I have doubled the scent with skin.

Anybody else loose meat this fast?
(08-15-2021, 07:31 PM)PACMEN Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 02:07 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Yes, utah sucker. Tip your jigs with a small piece of sucker or chub (skin on).  It will stay on the hook longer with skin attached and you can usually catch multiple fish per piece of bait. The fish are deep right now and any decent electronics can help you find the concentrations of fish.  Anchoring or using spot lock if you have it at those spots and vertical jigging with the tubes usually can put a lot of slot cutts in the boat.  If you are wanting to keep fish, the rainbows are usually shallower.  Sounds like you figured the bows out.  Any size to them?

Your statement of "It will stay on the hook longer with skin attached and you can usually catch multiple fish per piece of bait." I find to be true also.
The other thing that I find is that I loose most all the meat on the first fish.  I then continue to fish with the skin and do just as well.  When freshening  bait I leave the prior skin and after another fish I have doubled the scent with skin.

It depends if it is fresh or frozen.  Fresh the sucker meat will stay together with the skin.  Frozen will get stripped.  It haven't used salted fillets like Kent uses so he will have to chime in on that.
(08-15-2021, 08:13 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: It depends if it is fresh or frozen.  Fresh the sucker meat will stay together with the skin.  Frozen will get stripped.  It haven't used salted fillets like Kent uses so he will have to chime in on that.

I can often catch 3 or 4 fish on a single bait before having to rebait.  I rarely have a problem with having the flesh come off of the skin.
(08-15-2021, 08:13 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 07:31 PM)PACMEN Wrote: Your statement of "It will stay on the hook longer with skin attached and you can usually catch multiple fish per piece of bait." I find to be true also.

It depends if it is fresh or frozen.  Fresh the sucker meat will stay together with the skin.  Frozen will get stripped.  It haven't used salted fillets like Kent uses so he will have to chime in on that.
I do not salt my chubs but it stays on the hook just fine, sometimes catching two or three cats with one piece but I don't usually use it for trout, so that might be different.

Our biggest for the day was 16". All were at least 14. Nothing to jump around about but good eating size.

(08-15-2021, 02:55 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 07:57 AM)sanitarymechanic Wrote: We didn't really anchor it was a calm morning. We started about 40 feet. Eventually drifted in to about 15 feet.

You were fishing in too shallow of water.  The cutthroats can not survive if they stay in the shallower water up there these days.  The surface temperature is between 67 and 70 degrees, which is fine for warm water species but not for trout.  We have been finding them in 55 to 63' of water and most are near the bottom.

Noted. Next time I'll try deeper. Reviewing my "YouTube research" I should have moved south of strawberry bay. The narrows, or the meadows where some areas mentioned.