Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton
I just saw a fishing report from the state about Newton claiming you can still launch there. I was there on Aug 2 and it was tough launch with a 14 ft alum boat with no motor. I would hate to see fellow fishermen come all the way to Newton with a big boat expecting to launch. The shore fishing is hard there also due to muddy shorelines.
Thanks. Nice to have your information.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Looking at their 4 star report, I expect several folks have been trying it... Newton isn't a good spot to try and go around the ramp to launch either, the soil is nasty slick clay rather than sand and it's a big drop off at the end of the ramp, so I'd expect it's down to hand carry type boats to launch now... I'd like to go over and try it, but I think I'll try my toon if I go... Just curious if anyone has checked the depth in the big south bay? Does it still have 20 FOW? Couple years back when it got this low there was a really big die off in the fall... Hope we don't repeat that, in fact that is when they lost all the really big tigers last time... There were so many dink perch in there that hopefully this will make it easier for the tigers to thin them out... I'd love to see some better perch size return to Newton... Thanks for the info... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(08-16-2021, 05:08 PM)killerhook Wrote: I just saw a fishing report from the state about Newton claiming you can still launch there. I was there on Aug 2 and it was tough launch with a 14 ft alum boat with no motor. I would hate to see fellow fishermen come all the way to Newton with a big boat expecting to launch. The shore fishing is hard there also due to muddy shorelines.

I thought that I would take advantage of no boats and launch my float tube this morning. It didn't happen. If the mud didn't get me, a roll down the hill would have. Although there was surface action from the dam out to 100 yds. . Didn't see bank tanglers jerk their rods. Here's a look at the ramp this morning. Sorry for the grainy photo. cheap cell phone. LOL That is 2 guys fishing near the ramp.

[Image: 20210817-080746.jpg]
Thanks for the pic Hue. Looks like they should take this opportunity to extend  that ramp.
Holy cow that is ridiculously low.... That's got to be a lot lower than last time... Thank you very much for the picture that really says a thousand words.... wow is all I can say... Thanks J

I don't think they want boats on the reservoir below a certain level, so I doubt they will extend the ramp for fishermen to launch... I don't think there will be much left of the reservoir when it's down this far, probably the big south bay and a little area extending to the north, but most of the north end has got to be dry with the water down this far... Fishing in a bucket I expect... Later J
[Image: 20210817-080733.jpg]

It is about as low as it has been in past years. The exposed cement of the outlet sticks up about 3 feet above the waterline. I felt like fishing would be doing harm to the fish that will have enough to deal with.
So you bring up a good question, which is better to catch some fish and keep them or not fish at all? My thoughts if I go, would be to catch some fish and thin the herd so there aren't as many in the small area, so when the water turns over hopefully not all of them will die... I agree it's not a good time to catch and release a bunch right now due to all the other stress they are under this year... but I think if we cut the numbers there may not be as big of a die off this fall... Be interested in what everyone else's thoughts are on this? Later J
(08-17-2021, 08:43 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: So you bring up a good question, which is better to catch some fish and keep them or not fish at all?  My thoughts if I go, would be to catch some fish and thin the herd so there aren't as many in the small area, so when the water turns over hopefully not all of them will die... I agree it's not a good time to catch and release a bunch right now due to all the other stress they are under this year... but I think if we cut the numbers there may not be as big of a die off this fall... Be interested in what everyone else's thoughts are on this? Later J

I was kinda thinking the same thing. Might be a good time for a panfish fry to help with over crowd in shallow waters ?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I'm doing my part... been pulling 20-40 fish out a weekend, but getting close to the water is rough. The mud is deep, slick and sucky. Last couple times, I haven't been able to get closer than 10 feet or so to the water. But the catching is fast.
So is there little chance of slipping a pontoon in the pond? I've got to think the fishing would be a blast from a float tube or pontoon about now... but if the mud is too nasty, and I know that wet clay sucks to get into... so maybe it's not an option... But I'd kind of like to try it... Later Jeff
I'm giving thought to launching the tube from the camping area tomorrow. Weather willing. Less steep, but more mud to deal with.  Like Jeff, I think that the fishing will be a blast. I put my Garmin 4 finder, that I use ice fishing, onto the tube and I want to see if I like it. It should be better than not knowing how deep I'm fishing or if there are any fish near. I have the ice transducer on it to start with, not the boat transducer.
(08-18-2021, 03:10 PM)BURLEY Wrote: I'm giving thought to launching the tube from the camping area tomorrow. Weather willing. Less steep, but more mud to deal with.  Like Jeff, I think that the fishing will be a blast. I put my Garmin 4 finder, that I use ice fishing, onto the tube and I want to see if I like it. It should be better than not knowing how deep I'm fishing or if there are any fish near. I have the ice transducer on it to start with, not the boat transducer.

It's too bad they don't have at least one place around that lake where they have rocks going all the way down into the water, like they used at the ramp. Sounds like it is a muddy mess everywhere else, hope you are able to give it a try today.
(08-18-2021, 04:12 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 03:10 PM)BURLEY Wrote: I'm giving thought to launching the tube from the camping area tomorrow. Weather willing. Less steep, but more mud to deal with.  Like Jeff, I think that the fishing will be a blast. I put my Garmin 4 finder, that I use ice fishing, onto the tube and I want to see if I like it. It should be better than not knowing how deep I'm fishing or if there are any fish near. I have the ice transducer on it to start with, not the boat transducer.

It's too bad they don't have at least one place around that lake where they have rocks going all the way down into the water, like they used at the ramp. Sounds like it is a muddy mess everywhere else, hope you are able to give it a try today.

It will be tomorrow if I go. I'm thinking launching by the dam's riprap on the West side. The worst thing will be all the muddy gear after getting out. If I decide not to tube, I will break out my 9ft crappie rod to try and find them from the bank.

Miles F. , what side of the pond were you fishing?
(08-18-2021, 04:25 PM)BURLEY Wrote: It will be tomorrow if I go. I'm thinking launching by the dam's riprap on the West side. The worst thing will be all the muddy gear after getting out. If I decide not to tube, I will break out my 9ft crappie rod to try and find them from the bank.

Oops, thought your post was from yesterday. That makes sense, about launching from the dam, better than that muddy shore by the camping area.
I know the rocks go all the way down, but they are so big and I'm so clumsy lately that mud may be better than a fall on big rock... Guess I'll have to check it out and find out... That's a pond where the motor is most likely not necessary... in fact fins may be all you need rather than oars... Don't want to pack more weight down there than you can carry back up and out..... Wish I could try it after work today... Later Jeff
Launching and getting out in sticky mud is a chore with a tube or toon.  I fought that fight while on a 6 month assignment in the New Orleans area.  I would launch my tube from the bank at the back of one of the canals.  It was slippery slimy mud...often exposed at low tide.  I found two things that would work to help with the getting in and out.  One was a big piece of discarded carpet to lay over the mud.  The other was a cheap ladder to lay down and use as a stopper to keep from sinking and sliding.  Took some experimentation but I was able to fish in spots not available to either boats or bank tanglers.

Before coming up with those methods I got a little crazy.  Pulled my tube up around my waist and worked my down wearing my fins.  When I hit the slick mud I "fin skied" down into the water.  Luckily never rolled over.  To get back out, I worked into water as shallow as possible, undid the crotch strap on the tube and pulled it up over my head.  Then I pitched it and my rod up on the dry shore area and side by side slogged up out of the mud with my fins.    That was a lot of work but I always got a  grundle of redfish, sea trout and flounders.

[Image: TUBEDUDE-IN-LOUISIANA.jpg]

[Image: REDFISH-SEA-TROUT.jpg]

[Image: REDFISH-FLOUNDER.jpg]

I found some carpet scrap in the shed that I threw in the truck. It's not large, 18"x60", but it should help a little to spread the weight. Might find more deeper into the shed.
So it rained and like Garth used to sing us farmer types take that as a holiday. So I ran over to Newton after work today. Holy cow that pond is low. I was on a recon mission so no toon just bank tangling. Anyway I did some rock hopping and with the fresh rain it was slick and muddy all the way down. Not an easy spot to fish, but I finally got them biting. Ended up with 3 perch, 4 LMB, 1 crappie and 8 or so bluegill. The Gill were big and fought really well on the ultra light. Glad the tiger didn’t grab my hook today. Anyway I had a slip bobber on and tried to see how deep it was. I cast out as far as I could and never found a spot deeper than 4 feet. Got to say I’m worried about winter kill. Anyway it was difficult but I had fun. Later J
Here’s a couple pics.

[Image: C818-C860-E984-473-D-B684-FB82-FDCD39-B7.jpg]

[Image: B42-E3-D8-F-66-D0-4-D0-A-970-B-26703325-D3-A4.jpg]

[Image: 5831-E6-D9-8885-4-DC4-A4-E9-8-ED55-F5-BBEE9.jpg]

[Image: 42-E0113-F-1519-4063-8-D35-273-CCD6-FF631.jpg]