Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton
(08-19-2021, 04:17 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:  Anyway I had a slip bobber on and tried to see how deep it was. I cast out as far as I could and never found a spot deeper than 4 feet. 
Wow! That is Sad news. I'm guessing that you were near the dam. Sure doesn't sound like it is deep enough to make it worth while to fight the mud to launch a tube, just to fish in 4-6ft of water.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(08-18-2021, 04:25 PM)BURLEY Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 04:12 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 03:10 PM)BURLEY Wrote: I'm giving thought to launching the tube from the camping area tomorrow. Weather willing. Less steep, but more mud to deal with.  Like Jeff, I think that the fishing will be a blast. I put my Garmin 4 finder, that I use ice fishing, onto the tube and I want to see if I like it. It should be better than not knowing how deep I'm fishing or if there are any fish near. I have the ice transducer on it to start with, not the boat transducer.

It's too bad they don't have at least one place around that lake where they have rocks going all the way down into the water, like they used at the ramp. Sounds like it is a muddy mess everywhere else, hope you are able to give it a try today.

It will be tomorrow if I go. I'm thinking launching by the dam's riprap on the West side. The worst thing will be all the muddy gear after getting out. If I decide not to tube, I will break out my 9ft crappie rod to try and find them from the bank.

Miles F. , what side of the pond were you fishing?

On the camping side, the other looked too steep with a kid.
Hey Hugh, don't be too quick to give up on it... I think like was mentioned if you approach from the camping side it's not nearly as steep and I watched a couple down there last night and it didn't look like they were fighting too much mud... You'll get your feed dirty, but didn't look like they were sinking out of sight... Lots of fish splashing around, probably tigers eating everything that's compressed into the small area... Seemed like to me, that there were schools swimming around and when they came past fishing was good, then the tigers would push them out and it would take a while for fish to return, but I think I'll go try it again... Probably toon from the west side... Won't have any of my motor or electronics on board since I don't want more weight than necessary... Don't think they will be too needed either since there's not much difference in the lake that is left so fish are where you find them... till they move... Wish the water was a little more clear, it was more muddy than Cutler yesterday... Not sure if that's a storm runoff deal, or fish stirring up the water... We have gotten about an inch and a quarter or rain since it started yesterday, so it is possible that the rain will provide a little runoff, however, I seen farmers still watering all over the place so I don't think the lake has bottomed out yet... Wonder if there is any conservation pool on Newton or not... I expect it was an irrigation reservoir that they allowed fish to be planted in, so irrigation is probably the controller of the water level... Hope they finish up soon with watering their crops..for the fishes sakes.. guess I'm just jealous that they still have water to use... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Jeff, I haven't unpacked yet, so I may still go. The rain hasn't stopped today in Brigham. Sure have needed it. Every little bit helps and I can always fish after the rains. Going light on the tubes sounds wise. I would enjoy fishing near you again, just bring a net for the tigers.

Miles F: thank you
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I'd love to join you again, and I shouldn't need a net if you're around to land the tigers for me... They have grown since last winter, I'll bet they are close to 3.5 to 4' now... I think I may try it on Saturday, or maybe even tonight after work... Except my toon is all covered in bird droppings so I may have to do some cleaning before I can go... Well mud vs droppings... maybe not... it will need to be cleaned after the trip either way... Let me know when youre going to try it and I'll see if I can make it... Later Jeff
(08-19-2021, 04:26 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Jeff, I haven't unpacked yet, so I may still go. The rain hasn't stopped today in Brigham. Sure have needed it. Every little bit helps and I can always fish after the rains. Going light on the tubes sounds wise. I would enjoy fishing near you again, just bring a net for the tigers.

The rain finally stopped down here, so maybe it is moving your way. Temps got down to 49 degrees right before the rain stopped, pretty cold for Aug.
Been watching the storm on the satellite and it looks heavy on your side of the mountain and then it dry's up as it crosses to our side.. but that's okay we've gotten about 1 and a quarter inches out of it, so that's pretty good compared to the rest of the year... Getting close to half an irrigation so that will save my dwindling amount of water that I have left for this month... May not have to choose between fall crops planted and trying for a little next crop hay on my one field that I have kept watering... wow 49 is chilly for mid day temps in August... Hope frost doesn't show early... Later Jeff
I went out again last night after work and tried it again, what a slick muddy mess..... Seemed a lot worse last night than the first night, maybe because my knees were giving me issues trying to walk on the rocks between sliding down the hill on the clay with zero traction.... Old knee injury seemed to be flaring up a little too much in those conditions... Anyway the fishing was pretty slow too.... Only got 6 perch last night.... I seen two dead Tiger's last night, probably a sign of things to come... It's not going to be good I'm afraid.... Water level was still dropping after 1.25" of rain so it's not good news for Newton in the short term... Plenty of people fishing even on a week day... I didn't see any other fish caught last night, but my eyes aren't that great lately, so they may have been having the trip of their life, but I doubt it... Anyway i forgot last night to take a trash bag with me, but I'd suggest if you go and try it, take a trash bag and pick up a load... That place is so junky and it's a tackle scroungers paradise, so many jigs and plastics scattered all over the place, even seen an old rod and reel laying on the rocks, not to mention a half dozen golf balls... I feel bad I didn't have something to carry more trash out of there, but without a bag I could only fill my cooler and that didn't make much of a dent in the mess... There is a dumpster there so you don't have to haul the garbage home, you can just chuck it in the dumpster before you leave... If you're looking for a youth service project that would be a good one to do... Anyway enough of my soap box... Later J