Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chub Preperation
I am looking to learn how you folks prepare and freeze chubs for future bait use. If those of you could post how you do it it would be appreciated.
Here is a pictorial writeup I put together.  It shows freezing carp minnows but you treat chubs the same way.  I do not salt mine before freezing, but some guys do...and it does firm them up.  But if you process theme as soon as possible out of the water...and freeze them in a little water to remove all the air bubbles...your frozen chubs will be as firm as freshly caught months down the line.

Attached Files
.pdf   FREEZING MINNOWS.pdf (Size: 363.25 KB / Downloads: 34)
I switched to TD's method after seeing how fresh his were compared to mine. The cats signed off on them.

While I don't necessarily recommend it, I have told the story before about the old gentleman in Alabama I ran into who was tearing it up on flathead and blues on shiners that he soaked in kool-aid and then froze. Can't argue with his stringer but never tried it myself.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
The larger the chubs that I can get the better.  I fillet them (using an electric fillet knife) and toss the fillets in a bucket.  I then add a generous amount of salt (I use powder salt, but regular salt will work) and stir them so that the fillets are covered with a thick covering of salt.  I toss 6 to 10 fillets in each bag and vacuum seal them.

The beauty of having them salted is that they never freeze solid.  I can take them out of the freezer and cut them (I use shears) in the size of chunks desired without thawing first.  I put the chunks in small plastic containers, that I bought at All A Dollar, and keep the plastic containers refrigerated as I fish.  Any leftovers can be refrozen and used on the next trip.
As you can see there are several methods of freezing your chubs for future use. Ira and I don't do anything special, just freeze them whole without doing anything else, of course when we freeze ours, we do so by vacuum packing them, I've used this method for years and they are still like fresh ones, even after several years. Sure the cost is a little higher, because of the cost of the freezer plastic material but it's so much easier and it works so well, I'm fine with the extra cost. Depending on the size of the chub, I put one or two in each bag, then cut them up as soon as I get to the lake, before they have time to unthaw totally, if you wait too long, they will get mushy.
(08-19-2021, 02:11 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: As you can see there are several methods of freezing your chubs for future use. Ira and I don't do anything special, just freeze them whole without doing anything else, of course when we freeze ours, we do so by vacuum packing them, I've used this method for years and they are still like fresh ones, even after several years. Sure the cost is a little higher, because of the cost of the freezer plastic material but it's so much easier and it works so well, I'm fine with the extra cost. Depending on the size of the chub, I put one or two in each bag, then cut them up as soon as I get to the lake, before they have time to unthaw totally, if you wait too long, they will get mushy.

Thanks to all for your methods.
(08-18-2021, 06:56 PM)lifeshort Wrote: I am looking to learn how you folks prepare and freeze chubs for future bait use. If those of you could post how you do it it would be appreciated.

The last couple of years, I started cutting my sucker or chub meat in the size that I use for lake trout and burbot (about the size of my thumbnail).  A buddy of mine purchased a bulk package of small ziplock baggies that are 2" x 3" and gave me a bunch.  I add 8-10 chunks per bag, push the air out, seal, and freeze.  Usually 1-2 of those small bags is enough for a solo fishing trip.  Using the small bags is nice, so I'm not thawing and refreezing larger fillets or amounts throughout the season, when they'll just go bad.  The small baggies have also lasted multiple seasons without freezer burn.  It takes more prep and time on the front end, but it's really nice when your on the water or ice and can quickly grab a chunk and get to fishing.

Good luck, Ryno
Second on TDs method. I'm not very bright so when Pat talks, I listen. I've been pleasantly surprised how well a chub head works.
You've had some good input from good sources.  Bottom line is that there is not just one way to do it.  Depending on the size of the chubs, the species you are pursuing, the way you are presenting them and other variables there are several ways of preparing them.  You have options.  And options are good.