Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish lake!!
Hey guys heading up to fish lake Thursday through Sunday with the ole lady and just wondering if anyone has a report. Taking my 16' bass tracker up and mostly we just anchor up and fish for perch or drift with jigs and catch some rainbows and splake, ive tried for Lakers with no success on larger fish any tips help if not perch usually keep us just fine and dandy. 
[Image: 20180526-125025.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20170528-112736696.jpg]
Good luck, we have a deer hunt down there this fall so I'll be looking forward to your report... Might take the boat and fish if we can't find a buck... Don't know how much you have fished for Mac, so ignore me if I'm telling you something that you already know.. but you need to find the fish to catch them, so a good finder will help you get the where down... Then (I don't know the regs for fish lake, haven't read so if I say something that's illegal it's from not reading it yet) I would take some of your fresh caught perch, if legal, and cut a legal size chunk and put it on about a 4-6" skirt jig in white or green, then I'd vertical jig it off the bottom... I'm sure fish lake is like all the others and there are spots where the Mac hang, so if you can find out from someone where those areas are, get there and jig a little, if not the lake isn't the big, so you can probably look at topo map and pick some likely areas, then graph them for fish and see if they are there... Seems to be the best way for me to get on a Mac... hope you get a great trip... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
We went up there a couple months ago and enjoyed the scenery. We really left it all out there, trolling with pop gear ended up being the most productive for the rainbows. No size to them. The only lake trout caught was on an orange atomic teaser tipped with worm. We tried multiple styles of 4 inch plus tube jigs and various sizes spoons and cast masters. The one lake trout we caught was the finest eating trout I’ve had. The boy caught it and couldn’t have been happier.
[Image: 57-CB6895-CAB9-4808-968-B-263-D92-B1-ABDC.jpg]
Had a family camping trip there two weeks ago. Trolling was difficult to say the least. Lots of marks on the graph at different depths but all were tight lipped. I only managed 1 smaller rainbow.

Did much better for perch just off the weed line. Couldn't keep them off. Put a pontoon full of kids on them and you'll run a marathon just unhooking fish. Will say that the size has improved since my last trip (~3 years ago).
Thanks everyone, I don't have a fish finder, I have some 8" kokanee color tubes i got in Wyoming for flaming gorge I never used, I might drop down with some sucker meat on them and just hope for the best but if not perch will make do, sounds like the fishing had been pretty slow up there so ill just do the regular, j we saw a really nice buck up there last year in the cedars before you turn to head up to the lake off the highway
Fritz, if you plan on jigging for them anyway, take your ice flasher along. Won’t necessarily help you find them, but it should be lots better than jigging blind. Hope you get into them. Good luck
I'm excited if ther perch are bigger and better eating size! Them cold water perch are delicious!! Now to figure out how to clean them easier
(08-23-2021, 01:48 PM)filletedalive Wrote:  The one lake trout we caught was the finest eating trout I’ve had. The boy caught it and couldn’t have been happier. 
[Image: 57-CB6895-CAB9-4808-968-B-263-D92-B1-ABDC.jpg]

Not that it matters, but the fish in the pic appears to be a splake and not a lake trout. The evidence can be seen in the spotting pattern and tail...still a nice catch, and the splake from Fish Lake are delicious!
Hey thanks for the tip about the buck... Last time we hunted down there all we seen were small buck, would be great to see one over 20"... But after the last two years, maybe seeing a buck at all would be nice... Hey where are you from Fritz? I have an old fish finder that you could have if you want. It's nothing too special, but it will show fish under you.. I live in Cache Valley and you're welcome to come get this unit from me... Pm me and I'll get you my address.. Hope you have a great trip... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Same offer as Jeff if Henefer is closer
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(08-24-2021, 04:33 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: I'm excited if ther perch are bigger and better eating size! Them cold water perch are delicious!! Now to figure out how to clean them easier

Electric fillet knife and a good board makes quick work of them.
(08-25-2021, 12:25 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 04:33 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: I'm excited if ther perch are bigger and better eating size! Them cold water perch are delicious!! Now to figure out how to clean them easier

Electric fillet knife and a good board makes quick work of them.

Oh I take my board and electric knife, I bought a bubba filet knife and still prefer my ole Rapala plug in knife im on my 4th set of blades on it   Big Grin
Just got back, pretty slow trip, ended up hooking one laker 20+lb on a flatfish, running braided line as I usually jig im guessing I pulled the hooks cuz a quick 15 second battle turned into just reeling my lure in. But it ripped some drag and had me doubles over for a bit.... got 1 splake and about 10 bows, hand full of perch... and to my surprise I got into one 4-6" chubs and redsideshiner.. saved for ice season. Good trip, lots of kokes being caught around me but being in a flatbottom catfishin boat I was stuck to jigging or just long lining with a 2oz sinker in front of the lure.

[Image: 20210829-110736.jpg]

[Image: 20210829-110734.jpg]
How has fish lake been this year for kokanees? Are they good size? Does the lake get a swarm of boats, chasing them.
I don't keep in the loop of the world of kokanee fishermen but from asking around it seemed alot of smaller fish were being caught around 50 feet deep, the larger ones were red and getting caught on worms from shore I was mostly trying to catch something over 5 lbs so jigging big jigs or pulling big flatfish was my go to this weekend