Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Access and Crappie Question?
Is Port Ramp accessible?
How is the Crappie fishing been doing?

Looking for options to launch a 19" deep hull boat close to Ogden.
Yes Port Ramp still usable as of yesterday. Ramp is rough, but that’s nothing new.
Don't expect it to last long. I used to fish crappie in October. I have sent multiple emails to the DNR over the federal lake and they won't make the contracted company even leave in the courtesy dock. I am done trying. Just accepted that I will ice fish crappie instead.
(08-24-2021, 03:31 PM)muirco Wrote: Don't expect it to last long. I used to fish crappie in October. I have sent multiple emails to the DNR over the federal lake and they won't make the contracted company even leave in the courtesy dock.  I am done trying.  Just accepted that I will ice fish crappie instead.

It won't hurt to try and sweet talk someone at the contract company, rather than the DNR, after all, aren't they the ones that move the docks? By the way, isn't it controlled by the forest service, not the DNR?
i dont need a courtesy dock
any more than someone sittin in a booth collecting money to launch a boat
hope theyre both gone soon
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
(08-24-2021, 11:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-24-2021, 03:31 PM)muirco Wrote: Don't expect it to last long. I used to fish crappie in October. I have sent multiple emails to the DNR over the federal lake and they won't make the contracted company even leave in the courtesy dock.  I am done trying.  Just accepted that I will ice fish crappie instead.

It won't hurt to try and sweet talk someone at the contract company, rather than the DNR, after all, aren't they the ones that move the docks? By the way, isn't it controlled by the forest service, not the DNR?
BINGO!  Pineview & Strawberry are both Federal venues and Utah has no say or control over how they are managed.  And when the Feds turned over daily management to concessionaires, they did a great disservice to the general public.  Concessionaires do it to make a profit and could care less about non-profitable courtesies to their customers.  I haven't used Pineview during the concession run soft water season since the Feds started leasing the facility out to the concessionaires.  There was a Federal law passed in 2019 that became effective in 2020 to start using Federal lease permit fees (up to $1.9B) to upgrade Federal recreational properties.  Pineview was allocated some of that money, but there is no mention of upgrading the Port Ramp launch in the project's plans.  Pit toilet upgrades and improved access at some of the day use areas, but no ramp upgrades listed.  So for me, it's still ice only use for the foreseeable future.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Bob, even that may largely go away. Didn't I hear that they now plan to chain the gates at both Port Ramp and Cemetery? To cut down on vandalism, they say, but that's just another way of saying cut costs and increase profits. If true, the only access will be walk-in at a few limited points. Essentially, it will be closed to the public from Autumn until Spring.
I heard the same rumor, was hoping it wasn’t true. I like that fall crappie fun. Hope it’s still accessible this fall. Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
So why don't we petition our Congressional Delegation to get control turned over to the State. Both of these waters are to great a resource to have them unavailable due to incompetence by the feds. They up the user fees, don;t maintain the facilities, and keep the public out because it is " inconvenient" for them. Can't see why the feds want to maintain control over them anyway.
No, this crap has been going on for years. I have sent emails to all our Congressional reps, get nice platitudes back, but no action. We need a HUGE response from the whole state to get some Congressional response. This whole thing at Strawberry and Pineview is BOVINE SCATOLOGY!!
(08-24-2021, 12:59 AM)GrandpaD 2020 Wrote: Is Port Ramp accessible?
How is the Crappie fishing been doing?

Looking for options to launch a 19" deep hull boat close to Ogden.

Hey Dale, I haven't been up there this time of year for a very long time but I I've heard from a guy that said it cost at least $20 to launch there.
My thinking is to wait till the launching is free.
It will be interesting to see if there will be enough water in there to launch by then.

I see some reports that they may close the ramp to launching after the season closes.
That would be a bummer.
That and 10,000 ski boats is why I don't do Pineview until the fall... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(08-25-2021, 01:55 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Bob, even that may largely go away. Didn't I hear that they now plan to chain the gates at both Port Ramp and Cemetery? To cut down on vandalism, they say, but that's just another way of saying cut costs and increase profits. If true, the only access will be walk-in at a few limited points. Essentially, it will be closed to the public from Autumn until Spring.
I talked with the Federal manager of Pineview last winter about the closure of Cemetery Point (CP).  Reason given was vandalism of the CP pit toilet door and using the pit toilet building as a garbage dump.  He also said they had received a new gate system to be installed at the Port Ramp, so you may be correct about the only place to access the ice this winter will be at the walk in points.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(08-24-2021, 11:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Could have been the forest service. I called and finally got the number to who was overseeing the lake.