Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiger Time!
I had some fun this summer. Since moving back to Utah tiger trout have become my obsession. It was a fun summer. Here are just a few from this summer. Anymore I really hesitate to post any pics on any Utah related site. It seems like that every time I do some jack-wagon has jump on and tell everyone where I was at. These aren't even close to the biggest tigers I caught this summer, but these are all from a reservoir that no longer exists, due to the drought, so I really don't care if any can identify it or not. That aside I hope you enjoy the pics. I know I'm long arming them a little, but for those that care each was carefully measure and they were between 20"-22". Not bad fish at all. It's just Sad they are all gone now. Sad
[Image: Troy-Adams-7-30-21-C.jpg]

[Image: Troy-Adams-7-30-21-A.jpg]

[Image: Troy-Adams-7-30-21-B.jpg]
Wow thanks a lot for sharing. I've never seen a mounted fish as pretty as the real thing.
(08-27-2021, 03:41 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Wow thanks a lot for sharing.  I've never seen a mounted fish as pretty as the real thing.

I agree. I'd like to someday get one mounted, but finding a fish taxidermist in Utah that can do justice to a tiger trout is proving difficult to find. There may be someone, but I haven't seen it yet. However I'm super picky about taxidermy.
Those are beauties.  Thanks for sharing.
Wow, There such a cool fish. Love the colors.

Thanks you so much for sharing the pictures. Appreciate you sharing.

Looks like you had a great summer.

fnf
(08-27-2021, 05:25 PM)fishinfool Wrote: Wow, There such a cool fish. Love the colors.

Thanks you so much for sharing the pictures. Appreciate you sharing.

Looks like you had a great summer.

fnf

Thank you. They are really beautiful colorful fish.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.  

Those are some gorgeous fish.

It's Sad we are going to lose or at least damage so many good fisheries this year. 
(08-27-2021, 03:41 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Wow thanks a lot for sharing.  I've never seen a mounted fish as pretty as the real thing.

Been a long time since I’ve posted here. 
Actually had to create a new account. 

Being a taxidermist and specializing in fish for near 50 years I had to really Smile
at your comment about mounted fish not being as pretty as the real thing. 
Truer words have never been spoken!
Truth is, no human can duplicate  the  colors of a live fish. All we can do is study and refine our techniques to come as close as possible. 
I guess with that said the best description is we all suck at different levels. Lol

Thanks for your post, 
John
(08-27-2021, 07:27 PM)John Holley’s Taxidermy Wrote:

Been a long time since I’ve posted here. 
Actually had to create a new account. 

Being a taxidermist and specializing in fish for near 50 years I had to really Smile
at your comment about mounted fish not being as pretty as the real thing. 
Truer words have never been spoken!
Truth is, no human can duplicate  the  colors of a live fish. All we can do is study and refine our techniques to come as close as possible. 
I guess with that said the best description is we all suck at different levels. Lol

Thanks for your post, 
John
John,
I get what you are saying and I don't expect any taxidermist to do as well as God and Mother Nature. However fish taxidermist do definitely suck at different levels as you put it. I'd rather say some are a lot more skilled than others. They certainly are not all created equal. I'm really struggling to find a fish taxidermist that has the skill to duplicate the patterns of a tiger trout in a believable rendition as opposed to looking more like graffiti than a scale pattern. I am an artist myself, but I do not do taxidermy. Someday maybe I will. Below is an example of my fish art. I'm pretty detail oriented.
[Image: Rainbow-Trout1-SM.jpg]
Big sky, that paining is incredible!
nice feesh and art
tiggers are cool
[Image: IMG_3027_zpslxnlwqnn.jpg?width=1920&heig...fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_2994_zpsmwboqgw1.jpg?width=1920&heig...fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_3028_zps0bb9gmd4.jpg?width=1920&heig...fit=bounds]

[Image: IMG_3038_zps8ft1lu3i.jpg?width=1920&heig...fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_3041_zpsxukf5jcy.jpg?width=1920&heig...fit=bounds]
i miss my hot spot
but im a few buckets of ducketts short of purchasing
https://www.haydenoutdoors.com/land-for-sale/lc-ranch/
like 6 mil worth
Tongue
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Here is a 28" Tiger I had done by an artist in Colorado. It's carved from Basswood. He also does fiberglass replicas.

[Image: 1-IMG-9896.jpg]
[Image: 1-IMG_9894.jpg]
[Image: 1-IMG-9942.jpg]
[Image: 1-Tiger-Boxwood-gulch.jpg]
Dear BigSky,
Your fish are beautiful. Your art is amazing! If you don't get into taxidermy, might I suggest tattooing?
Your rainbow example shows an incredible understanding of contour and depth, as well as the nuance of a "wet fish."
Incredible.
Thanks for sharing!
Josh
Well I sure do appreciate the kind words about the photography and especially my artwork. Since a few of you enjoyed the art here is one more.
[Image: Cutthroat-Trout-SM.jpg]
Are these prisma pencil and cold press paper?
This last example above also shows how well you understand the mechanics of the human hand. Many a fine artist are thwarted by hands. I really appreciate the detail of the hand while choosing to let the color showcase the beauty of god's swimming water color works.
You're freaking awesome dude.
(08-30-2021, 03:31 PM)joshomaru Wrote: Are these prisma pencil and cold press paper?
This last example above also shows how well you understand the mechanics of the human hand.  Many a fine artist are thwarted by hands.  I really appreciate the detail of the hand while choosing to let the color showcase the beauty of god's swimming water color works. 
You're freaking awesome dude.

Well thank you. Obviously you have some knowledge of art and technique. It is Primacolor on Strathmore toned paper medium tooth.
I really like that lake in the pics from the original poster. But, truthfully, it is often drained and is drawn down low almost every year. Those tigers, the splake, and a few cutts will back in those waters as soon as next summer.

What cracks me up about fishermen and posts like original one is the fear of "hotspotting" and ruining a good fishery by posting specifics. If you really don't want people to know where you are at, don't post pics. Is it really that hard? And, you are hardly going to ruin good fishing by posting about reservoirs the size of the one in the pics or others that are of similar size or larger.

And, FWIW, I was Saddened clear back in June knowing that this lake would be drained...last fall, that reservoir was a real hoot to fish. Oh well, it will be back...

[Image: W-B-pic.jpg]
(09-03-2021, 04:27 PM)wormandbobber Wrote: I really like that lake in the pics from the original poster. But, truthfully, it is often drained and is drawn down low almost every year. Those tigers, the splake, and a few cutts will back in those waters as soon as next summer.

What cracks me up about fishermen and posts like original one is the fear of "hotspotting" and ruining a good fishery by posting specifics. If you really don't want people to know where you are at, don't post pics. Is it really that hard? And, you are hardly going to ruin good fishing by posting about reservoirs the size of the one in the pics or others that are of similar size or larger.

And, FWIW, I was Saddened clear back in June knowing that this lake would be drained...last fall, that reservoir was a real hoot to fish. Oh well, it will be back...

Ummm perhaps you need to read a little more carefully. I said: "Anymore I really hesitate to post any pics on any Utah related site. It seems like that every time I do some jack-wagon has jump on and tell everyone where I was at. These aren't even close to the biggest tigers I caught this summer, but these are all from a reservoir that no longer exists, due to the drought, so I really don't care if any can identify it or not."

In other words yes I do worry about places being hot spotted hence there are no pictures posted from the areas where I caught much bigger fish. So kind'a redundant for you to say "don't post pics" as that is exactly what I did. No pics posted of anywhere that matters.

Anything else is pretty much limited to photos like this one below. I had a very good year with a lot of tigers, rainbows, and even a few Colorado Cutthroat over 20", but I'm sure not going to risk putting them on a site like this or some of those obnoxious pages on Facebook like Utah Anglers Report. Hot spotting is a real thing in Utah and worse than in other places I have lived. Seems like very few people actually want to get out and do the work to find quality fish, but rather just read where to go on the internet, than actually put forth any real effort.
[Image: Troy-Adams-6-8-21-F.jpg]
Beautiful fish and nice pics.  But your attitude seems to be kinda "neener neener".  I'm first in line against posting too much info on fragile waters that can't withstand more pressure.  But it ain't nice to report "Ha, I caught these and I ain't gonna tell ya nothin' about where it was."  Just sayin', it could be a bit more subtle.

But congrats on your evident angling skills...and your skill both with the camera and artwork.  I'll enjoy what you choose to post and only speculate on what you don't.
(09-03-2021, 08:19 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Beautiful fish and nice pics.  But your attitude seems to be kinda "neener neener".  I'm first in line against posting too much info on fragile waters that can't withstand more pressure.  But it ain't nice to report "Ha, I caught these and I ain't gonna tell ya nothin' about where it was."  Just sayin', it could be a bit more subtle.

But congrats on your evident angling skills...and your skill both with the camera and artwork.  I'll enjoy what you choose to post and only speculate on what you don't.

Well coming across as neener neener I’m first in line was not the intent. The intent is and was…if a person works hard, does a lot of research, and puts in the time Utah still produces really nice fish. Anything beyond that is either misinterpretation or speculation.