Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Crazy Day on Utah Lake
Yesterday, Aug. 26, Vi and I got on the water 0740 without a definite plan. Our last trip over to the Knowles was not so productive as mater of fact the last two. As we left the opening of the channel we thought, lets keep it simple and use our time closer to home port.  when we reached 5.5" FOW I shut down the big motor and dropped the  trolling motor, set it on a northerly coarse, put it on cruse control. No obstacles in sight so we were clear to concentrate on fishing.

We dropped our lines baited up with WB  0800 Vi hooked up. 15 min later another, 0825 it was my turn, 27.5, 10 min later I tied into a 30" bumper and so it went back and forth then at 1144 Vi hooked up with a 30", a bump for her as well. It wasn't a fast day but entertaining.

At one point Vi hooked up and I turned my attention to her forgetting that I had not locked the free spool on my rod until I heard the sound of a backlash and was it ever. We netted Vi's fish and while working to free the tangle between our lines I could feel a fish on mine. With the backlash I was not able to reel at all. Vi thought she could hand work it in hand over hand until I dismissed that idea. I handed her my rod and scrambled to find my crochet needle (must have item) I handed it to her to work out the rats nest while I kept the tension off the line all the time hoping the fish would be patient. She was able to get the mess cleaned up and the line back on the reel then handed me the rod. Good! the fish was still there. I didn't get far before I found another bundle of bunched up line, alas got that one out and continued the fight. That had to be the longest time I have had a fish on before landing it, and it ended up being a 29.5".

I brought another cat to the net that was 29.5", kind of a bummer when there not big enough to bump up the score. All of the cats we caught were good solid fish with a bad attitude. We ended our day releasing 22 cats. The 5 WB weren't so lucky.

Today I replaced the line that was so abraded and kinked, no reason to take a chance on loosing a fish that might be the one I have been waiting for.

The water level appears to be holding, about 1.6' at the low point in the channel.

Water temp early was 70 raising to 71-72.

Bait of choice, WB
Hey Richard -- sounds like a great day of adventure out on the shallow water...let's put this in perspective...you want a cat as long or longer than your Granpa's 30" barrel goose gun? Now hold your arm out...you want a cat that's about 5 inches longer than your shoulder to your finger tips? Is that what you want? ... Well, I'm sure there's another tackle buster out there waiting for your offering...hope you can keep on chasing them with Vi to share the adventure.....enjoy your story and report...Guluk...

i
Richard you are definitely getting some excitement on the lake. Either launching and running the gauntlet of the channel of 1.6' or telling in all them fish you had quite a day. I would love to launch out of LB but I'm afraid with my boat the trailer will hit so I'm going to go to provo when I get my break. But who caught the most 30"ers Richard or Vi?
Thanks for the detailed report. I love when you, and others, make the story fun with all that detail. And as Joe said, I hope to catch cats that big when I finally get out there. And I sympathize with your quandry of landing big fish that don't give you a bump. What a problem to have!
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(08-28-2021, 03:37 AM)r2u2 Wrote: Yesterday, Aug. 26, Vi and I got on the water 0740 without a definite plan. Our last trip over to the Knowles was not so productive as mater of fact the last two. As we left the opening of the channel we thought, lets keep it simple and use our time closer to home port.  when we reached 5.5" FOW I shut down the big motor and dropped the  trolling motor, set it on a northerly coarse, put it on cruse control. No obstacles in sight so we were clear to concentrate on fishing.

We dropped our lines baited up with WB  0800 Vi hooked up. 15 min later another, 0825 it was my turn, 27.5, 10 min later I tied into a 30" bumper and so it went back and forth then at 1144 Vi hooked up with a 30", a bump for her as well. It wasn't a fast day but entertaining.

At one point Vi hooked up and I turned my attention to her forgetting that I had not locked the free spool on my rod until I heard the sound of a backlash and was it ever. We netted Vi's fish and while working to free the tangle between our lines I could feel a fish on mine. With the backlash I was not able to reel at all. Vi thought she could hand work it in hand over hand until I dismissed that idea. I handed her my rod and scrambled to find my crochet needle (must have item) I handed it to her to work out the rats nest while I kept the tension off the line all the time hoping the fish would be patient. She was able to get the mess cleaned up and the line back on the reel then handed me the rod. Good! the fish was still there. I didn't get far before I found another bundle of bunched up line, alas got that one out and continued the fight. That had to be the longest time I have had a fish on before landing it, and it ended up being a 29.5".

I brought another cat to the net that was 29.5", kind of a bummer when there not big enough to bump up the score. All of the cats we caught were good solid fish with a bad attitude. We ended our day releasing 22 cats. The 5 WB weren't so lucky.

Today I replaced the line that was so abraded and kinked, no reason to take a chance on loosing a fish that might be the one I have been waiting for.

The water level appears to be holding, about 1.6' at the low point in the channel.

Water temp early was 70 raising to 71-72.

Bait of choice, WB
WOW, sounds like a great trip! Thanks for sharing that story and getting those bump fish!

I just saw both of your posts on the contest board. Her fish was a beast, but congrats to both of you!
(08-28-2021, 04:54 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Hey Richard -- sounds like a great day of adventure out on the shallow water...let's put this in perspective...you want a cat as long or longer than your Granpa's 30" barrel goose gun? Now hold your arm out...you want a cat that's about 5 inches longer than your shoulder to your finger tips? Is that what you want? ... Well, I'm sure there's another tackle buster out there waiting for your offering...hope you can keep on chasing them with Vi to share the adventure.....enjoy your story and report...Guluk...

Yep! Thats what I want, but you know what ? I can have fun fishing and catching 8" Bluegill too.

i

(08-28-2021, 04:43 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Richard you are definitely getting some excitement on the lake. Either launching and running the gauntlet of the channel of 1.6' or telling in all them fish you had quite a day. I would love to launch out of LB but I'm afraid with my boat the trailer will hit so I'm going to go to provo when I get my break. But who caught the most 30"ers Richard or Vi?

Vi keeps a tally sheet of each day we go out so you will have to ask her who gets the most and bigest, but I'm pretty certain it's her

(08-30-2021, 05:35 PM)catchinon Wrote: Thanks for the detailed report. I love when you, and others, make the story fun with all that detail. And as Joe said, I hope to catch cats that big when I finally get out there. And I sympathize with your quandry of landing big fish that don't give you a bump. What a problem to have!

You are welcome. As you know every day is different but it sure is fun when we find the bigger ones.  We get our share of the smaller ones too. We ask ourselves, where's the little ones?  We found one 18"; if that was a trout it would be a good size fish.

Get out there!