Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canopy design setup
(08-28-2021, 12:51 AM)BURLEY Wrote: I got these beauties online. Made of Enameled steel, I can use magnets and move them any where on my home's steel siding. 
[Image: IMG-1428.jpg]

Cool looking flag Hue but what really caught my eye was you have the exact same canopy as I do and you gave me a great idea for adding a shelve or two in mine Smile
(08-28-2021, 01:05 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 12:51 AM)BURLEY Wrote: I got these beauties online. Made of Enameled steel, I can use magnets and move them any where on my home's steel siding. 

Cool looking flag Hue but what really caught my eye was you have the exact same canopy as I do and you gave me a great idea for adding a shelve or two in mine Smile
This is the finished product. I had a lot of scrap wood and time on my hands. It made for a nice place to show some the fossils and stuff that was in the closet.

[Image: IMG-1509.jpg]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(08-28-2021, 01:17 AM)BURLEY Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 01:05 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

This is the finished product. I had a lot of scrap wood and time on my hands. It made for a nice place to show some the fossils and stuff that was in the closet.

[Image: IMG-1509.jpg]
Wow, that is really nice, you do good work Hue. Is that wood stained or varnished? Almost looks like pallet wood.
Last summer I replace my redwood decking with new Trex composite planks. I used a few of the redwood 2x6s for the framework and all of the pretty wood surfaces is made from cedar-lattice-topped fence panels that was old and falling apart. Parts of my wall are sanded and varnished(urethane), while some are just cleaned and very ruff to the touch. Did this just to show the before and after looks to the red cedar. I was really pleased how well the cedar turned out, after starting out with the gray weathered color that untreated cedar gets with age. The folding deli-tabletop and the short panel behind the upper shelf are varnished.

[Image: IMG-1519.jpg]
(08-28-2021, 02:01 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Last summer I replace my redwood decking with new Trex composite planks. I used a few of the redwood 2x6s for the framework and all of the pretty wood surfaces is made from cedar-lattice-topped fence panels that was old and falling apart. Parts of my wall are sanded and varnished(urethane), while some are just cleaned and very ruff to the touch. Did this just to show the before and after looks to the red cedar. I was really pleased how well the cedar turned out, after starting out with the gray weathered color that untreated cedar gets with age. The folding deli-tabletop and the short panel behind the upper shelf are varnished.

[Image: IMG-1519.jpg]

I like it but we are getting a little off topic of the original thread. I'm going to detach it, so we can continue this. My next question, did you put in that trex floor? I have a concrete floor on my canopy but I'm wondering what you have that trex sitting on.
This is the old 20x32 redwood deck that I resurfaced. Lots of screws removed, lots broken or stripped. Notice the latice top panels that I disassembled and used later for the shelves.
[Image: IMG-1067.jpg]
After 15 years, the whole framework had to be re-leveled and straightened.

[Image: IMG-1110.jpg] 

Starting to lay down the 20' Trex boards.
[/url]
[Image: IMG-1120.jpg] 
Held down using Tongue and groove. No screws show on finished floor! Trex suggest 16" spacing.
[Image: IMG-1557.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1559.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1123.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1125.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1128.jpg]

[url=https://ibb.co/QbZZ5Rn][Image: IMG-1130.jpg]

Now it's ready for the awning. Trex gets extremely hot in the sun. Almost 50 measured degrees hotter than wood. Uncomfortable to walk on during sunny days.
And yes, I installed it myself.

[Image: IMG-1407.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1409.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1410.jpg]
Wow, that is a huge deck, how long did it take you to do it? Did you put the canopy on the deck?
I noticed you added the canopy pics after i started writing my reply. The guys that did my canopy came down from Idaho, looks like the same three guys.
(08-28-2021, 05:03 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that is a huge deck, how long did it take you to do it? Did you put the canopy on the deck?

I worked alone to tear down and rebuild the deck and it took me 2 1/2 months last summer. This spring I had the canopy done by installers. Four workers took only 5 hours to erect it on a Friday afternoon. I had to anchor it down myself.
(08-28-2021, 05:12 PM)BURLEY Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 05:03 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that is a huge deck, how long did it take you to do it? Did you put the canopy on the deck?

I worked alone to tear down and rebuild the deck and it took me 2 1/2 months last summer. This spring I had the canopy done by installers. Four workers took only 5 hours to erect it on a Friday afternoon. I had to anchor it down myself.

It really looks great I was pretty impressed by how fast those guys put up my canopy as well. So you anchored the canopy right to the trex? Do you remember the name of the company that did the canopy?
[Image: IMG-1519c.jpg]

DreamsCarports.com out of Orem, Utah. I bolted 4x4 beams to joists and then used 1/2" allthread to anchor the canopy to the beams. open image to see anchors.

[Image: IMG-1527.jpg]
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]
[/url]
[Image: IMG-1453.jpg]

[url=https://ibb.co/qgrRM2N][Image: IMG-1457.jpg]

It now has outlets, ceiling fan, lights, and water-misters. I created a storage area for 4 tables and 10 chairs between the house and the canopy.
Wow, you are crafty Hue, that is a great use for the space you have there, really looks great. What are the dimensions of your canopy? Mine is 20' x 21'.
(08-28-2021, 07:51 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, you are crafty Hue, that is a great use for the space you have there, really looks great. What are the dimensions of your canopy? Mine is 20' x 21'.

Same. 20x21 with 8ft walls. The storage area has a dolly for sliding the 2 tables in the back, up to the door for removal after the first 2 tables are removed. The rails keep the dolly from  tipping when load is off balance.

[Image: IMG-1444.jpg]
[Image: IMG-1446.jpg]
(08-28-2021, 07:56 PM)BURLEY Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 07:51 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, you are crafty Hue, that is a great use for the space you have there, really looks great. What are the dimensions of your canopy? Mine is 20' x 21'.

Same. 20x21 with 8ft walls. The storage area has a dolly for sliding the 2 tables in the back, up to the door for removal after the first 2 tables are removed. The rails keep the dolly from  tipping when load is off balance.
Mine only has 5 ft walls because they need to be shorter to fit under my eaves. That is smart, having that dolly for sliding the tables in, with the rails.