Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 Willard Bay Trip # 33
Made it back out to WB South yesterday.  There were 5 other rigs in the lot on my 0800 arrival. Air temp was 56 and went up to a pleasant 80 on departure at 1300.  Water temp 67.6 and creeped up to 70.5.  
Water levels are still dropping, but not quite as fast as 2 weeks ago.  At the end of the middle ramp with boat still on trailer my sonar showed 1.8 fow and at the outside edge of the dock only a little better at 2.0 fow. 

[Image: 0106a.jpg]

The main body of the marina struggled to show 3-3.5 fow and the channel 4-5.5 fow.  Just at the opening to the main body of the lake, there is a sharp "hump" created by the dredging done several years ago that comes up to just over 2 fow, then drops back to 4 fow.   

SERIOUS RECOMMENDATION: KEEP YOUR MOTOR TRIMMED UP UNTIL YOU GET WELL PAST THE BUOY MARKERS.  LIKE MAYBE 300 TO 400 YARDS. Once well past the buoys it's 8-10 fow. 

[Image: 0106-Trip-33-28-Aug-2021.jpg]

Motored out to my Cat hunting area where the water was 10 ft. deep and showed quite a few possible bait takers.  Most of the morning had a nice 4-5 mph breeze out of the north that allowed me to drift at .30 to .60 mph . Got my 2 baited lines out, and had almost immediate hits on both. But they were hit & strip with no hook ups.  After the first couple minutes of excitement, I settled into a steady drift and return for over an hour before first kitty decided to take bait and hook.  Then the average was one Cat boated per hour, with lots of hesitant nibbles and tugs in-between.  Not my best day on Willard this year, but sure as heck not my worst day.   Last cat caught on last piece of bait, so called it a day and was off the water by 1300.

[Image: 0107-Cat-1-CPR.jpg]  [Image: 0108-Cat-2-CPR.jpg]  [Image: 0109-Cat-3-CPR.jpg]   [Image: 0110-Cat-4-CPR.jpg]

All Cats released.    Not sure what he was doing, but a DNR maintenance guy was working on something at the cleaning station.  I know the station was working cuz another angler was cleaning fish while I was getting boat stowed for the road.  But with the water situation, and Labor Day next week, it's possible he was getting ready to shut it down. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Decent report Forest, glad you are still catching them there. You should consider changing it up some and making the drive up to Lost creek to catch some chubs to use for bait, it is much harder for those cats to steal off you hook compared to shrimp, just a thought.
With the amount of dead (and live) shad you and the other bay regulars are reporting i am suprised the kitties are still chomping with some enthusiasm. I am looking forward to Sept with cooler temps and less bugs.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(08-30-2021, 11:39 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: With the amount of dead (and live) shad you and the other bay regulars are reporting i am suprised the kitties are still chomping with some enthusiasm. I am looking forward to Sept with cooler temps and less bugs.

Not sure what Forest is seeing out there but the bugs have not been bad the last two times I've been out there, at least compared to earlier this Summer.
(08-30-2021, 11:39 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: With the amount of dead (and live) shad you and the other bay regulars are reporting i am suprised the kitties are still chomping with some enthusiasm. I am looking forward to Sept with cooler temps and less bugs.

I didn't see as many dead shad as others have reported, but the few I did see were all floating (obviously).  I kinda don't think the Cats are chasing the floaters, but all the Cats I've caught the past month or more have been well fed .

(08-30-2021, 01:39 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Not sure what Forest is seeing out there but the bugs have not been bad the last two times I've been out there, at least compared to earlier this Summer.

The bugs have been almost none last several trips. Even when the wind has been almost dead calm, the bug level has been way below what is usual.  Maybe the smoke is killing them or keeping them down ?   Huh .

(08-29-2021, 03:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Decent report Forest, glad you are still catching them there. You should consider changing it up some and making the drive up to Lost creek to catch some chubs to use for bait, it is much harder for those cats to steal off you hook compared to shrimp, just a thought.

Curt, I had thought about making a trip up to Lost Creek, but that launch ramp is so long, and far away from the parking area, my bad right leg and left foot just won't handle that climb anymore.  That's pretty much why I make more trips to Willard South than anywhere. It's close to home, and the ramps, docks, and parking are much more convenient.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool