Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln cat chase
A couple of g-sons had a break before the beginning of college so decided to try a launch at Lincoln. Arrived at about 6:30, launched without falling off the end of the ramp in water that varied between 1.7 and 2 ft. according to the Lowrance. Trimmed up and never even left a mud trail. About 8 or so trailers in the parking lot today; a few bank tanglers working the first spring and the launch channel.

Headed for the Knolls area hoping we could locate it in all the smoke.  Sad  The lake had some husky waves as we started but calmed to a light breeze by the time we reached the Knolls area. We wanted to stroll so I was relegated to guiding the boat and cutting bait. Okay. Boys used fresh white bass strolled at .03 to .05 in 4-5 feet of water. Fishing was slow but good. Both boys managed a 30 incher among about 12 fish for the day. Catrat, a BFT member, will be entering his 30 incher in the contest. The other 30 incher was good for a photo only cuz g-son is a non-resident -- a properly licensed non-resident.

I'm hoping the water level will hold up for a few more weeks so I can get after some of the big boys that seem to show up in the cooler temperatures. My PB 34 inch cat was caught last year during the first part of Sept. He was released and should have added a couple of inches to his length.  Wink  Hopefully we will hook up again this year.

[Image: DSC01303-Copy.jpg]

[Image: DSC01299.jpg]

[Image: DSC01304-Copy.jpg]
Congrats to the grandsons and a shout out for grandpa letting them do it.

I kinda thought that's where you were as we could not see you, but that's not new either.

We were slow getting out as we had an appointment to pick up great grand daughter for her first ever fishing trip. She huffed and puffed helping reel in some cats. She did OK catching three WB by her self.

Got to love them kids; there Smiles are worth the extra time. It's worth every bit of time and effort.

Glad your grand sons still take the time to spend with you.

rj
(08-29-2021, 04:58 PM)r2u2 Wrote: Congrats to the grandsons and a shout out for grandpa letting them do it.

I kinda thought that's where you were as we could not see you, but that's not new either.

We were slow getting out as we had an appointment to pick up great grand daughter for her first ever fishing trip. She huffed and puffed helping reel in some cats. She did OK catching three WB by her self.

Got to love them kids; there Smiles are worth the extra time. It's worth every bit of time and effort.

Glad your grand sons still take the time to spend with you.

rj

Thanks BLK and you Richard for your great reports. I might not respond much, but cherish each one. I want to come down and try for a big one. In all my years of fishing LB and mostly using shrimp, I never catch them much over 27". The only time I got one over 30 I caught it on the head of a squid. So, how and where do I get some White Bass?
Randy, a good place to catch wb is right off the end of the ramp at LB. Get there before first light. Sometimes you can tell they are in there by the many dimples. One favorite is a silver spinner; others are plain old worms and curly-tail jigs. One guy I know uses tandem flies fished wet. The bite will slow down and stop as the sun gets up over the mountains. One person I know runs a line with some lure on it behind the boat when strolling for cats. Good luck and have fun.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks Richard and Randy.

I usually pick up my wb when I arrive at the launch early in the morning. Right after daylight the wb begin feeding on the emerging midges in the channel and especially near the end of the ramp. A small flashy spinner will usually produce a fish on the first cast. They can get fussy about the spinner if they are gorging on midges but their aggressive nature will usually trigger a strike. I use a second pole with a small hook about 12-15 inches under a bobber with a piece of crawler just big enough to cover the hook. I can usually have a half dozen or so wb in 10 minutes. I always take some frozen wb with me... just in case, but fresher is better so I always try for whities before I launch. Most of the bass are adults in the 8-10 range but lately I have been picking up a few 3 or so inchers that appear to be young of the year.

More water and less smoke would sure help but I still favor Sept. and Oct. as the bigger cats are recovering from the ravages of the spawn and stocking up on grub for the winter. My favorite time to fish for 'em.

Hope to see you on the water.

Lynn aka BLK

Edit: Opps, I missed Craig's post before mine. What he said is right on.
Hey Lynn,
Thanks for the report and the pictures! It sounds like you will get some bigger ones any day now. I hope you have that 34 from last year tethered soemwhere so you can catch it again.
(08-30-2021, 08:33 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Hey Lynn,
Thanks for the report and the pictures! It sounds like you will get some bigger ones any day now. I hope you have that 34 from last year tethered soemwhere so you can catch it again.

Thanks all! I'm thinking I will be there Thursday or Friday for a day or two. I might camp there. How are the mosquitoes in the evening this year?