Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard wiper boils
Kinda new here, forgot my old account info... Anyways, i use to target the wiper boils quite often years ago. I want to understand the science behind how, when, they start. Ive been out a few times these past several weeks and haven't seen any(all morning hours) maybe too soon, or maybe due to many shad dying and giving the wiper a steady supply of food? If anyone has more information regarding wiper boils, please let me know?
(08-30-2021, 07:52 PM)Ifellofftheraft Wrote: Kinda new here, forgot my old account info... Anyways, i use to target the wiper boils quite often years ago. I want to understand the science behind how, when, they start. Ive been out a few times these past several weeks and haven't seen any(all morning hours) maybe too soon, or maybe due to many shad dying and giving the wiper a steady supply of food? If anyone has more information regarding wiper boils, please let me know?

Every year is different but we have seen few boils in recent years, likely because there is so many shad and wiper numbers are way down. About 4 years ago the DWR starting stocking fewer wipers and more walleye. With low water conditions, you never know what might happen this year but don't count on seeing any boils, hope I'm wrong. Good luck and welcome to the site.
I certainly would agree with you, seems like boils were more common around 2011. I remember seeing them popping up left and right. Don't get me wrong though, i love fishing walleye, but would love to see more wiper. Maybe it will increase probability of a boil with the lower levels, guess we will have to see though. I am curious as to what triggers these fish to gang up on the shad. Maybe consistent temp drops? And ive also noticed they usually boil during the evening, dont know why.
(08-31-2021, 02:29 AM)Ifellofftheraft Wrote: I certainly would agree with you,  seems like boils were more common around 2011. I remember seeing them popping up left and right. Don't get me wrong though,  i love fishing walleye, but would love to see more wiper. Maybe it will increase probability of a boil with the lower levels, guess we will have to see though.  I am curious as to what triggers these fish to gang up on the shad. Maybe consistent temp drops? And ive also noticed they usually boil during the evening, dont know why.

It has to do with the amount of shad in the water IMO, you never see boils much when there are massive amounts of shad in the water but when their numbers are low, like early in the Spring or late in the Summer or into the Fall, when their numbers have been thinned out. I think the time of day for sure plays a part of when you see them, might be with the light highlighting them better in the morning or evening but I have seen them boil in the late morning it just does not happen as often.