Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo Blowout 8/28/2021
The weather forecast for Saturday said moderate temps and low to moderate winds all day so I decided to try to improve my character by giving up the morning hours at the lake to help someone move. Then I would spend the afternoon and evening catching some fish. So much for karma that dayJ.

After the move, I ended up taking the grandkids on a quick boat ride about 5:30 P.M. and the taking Julie fishing from 6:45 until a little after 8. The grandkids loved the moderate wind and the waves. Julie and I, not so much.

We again stayed close to the harbor in case the wind got worse toward dark, and it did. A 6 minute boat ride out lead to 30 minutes on the way back. The fish were fairly cooperative, but in a sneaky sort of way.

We started out in 3 FOW dragging cut WB on FLAITS at about 1 MPH. We headed NW directly into the “breeze,” partly to sample multiple depths and partly to keep from rocking side to side. After 15 minute Julie got a white bass and after 30 I got another one. At 45 minutes we had seen only one inquiry that look catlike and the depth was now over 6 feet, so I turned us around and headed SW. I knew the sideways rocking of the boat wouldn’t be fun, but I thought I would only go that direction for a few minutes and then turn SE to have the waves behind us.

The wind was actually picking up, unlike the forecasted evening slowdown and after only 3 minutes or so I was about to say enough rocking and turn the boat when Julie hooked up on her side rod. It was a decent fish and hard to control as the boat side slipped in the quartering wind. She tried to stand and fight the fish and almost fell over. So I told her to sit. There is no rule that says you have to stand to fight a fish.

When her fish was about halfway in, my back rod went bendo. I had to stand to try to help her land hers with one hand and hold onto mine with the other. Just as I reached the net out to try to get her fish, her back rod hooked up and almost hit me in the face! The next 25 minutes were mayhem with me stumbling from one side to the other, landing fish, and trying to keep everything and everyone inside the boat. I haven’t completely lost my sea legs from my commercial fish days, but I’m not as quick as I once wasL

When there was a brief lull we had boated five cats, with two at 27 and Julie’s 28. When I finally could focus again I turned the boat SE to stop the side to side rolling and the bite stopped. Well it almost stopped. We go one right after the turn.
I don’t know how they knew to bite only when it made us miserable, but they did. (see sonar screen picture of the boat rising and falling)

At the end of the run, Julie had caught 4 fish to my 2 and the biggest of the trip. She told me she thought she was getting seasick and I started hurrying to pull the lines. “No, we need to stay until you catch one more. The next one is yours no matter which side of the boat it hits on,” she said. (We couldn’t even get pictures of her holding the biggest cat because standing was too hard.)

Well, it took almost 20 minutes, but a little 23 inch cat finally hit while we were going back into the wind. Of course it hit on her side of the boat. I should have been out fished 5 to 2, but she let me have the last one.

The ride home was slow and a little wet as I tried not to pound and soak her to death. She is a real trooper and I’m lucky to have her!

[Image: Smokey-Y-Choppy-Water.jpg]
[Image: I-can-sit-and-hold-this-one-up.jpg]

[Image: My-best-of-the-day.jpg]
[Image: Julie-s-28.jpg]
[Image: Smokey-Sunset-Rough-Water.jpg]
[Image: Bumpy-Fishing.jpg]
Nicely done...good story and pics...
Did Julie tell you I said hi. Devon and I were out there having fun for a while as well trying out my new trolling motor finally. We passed you at the mouth of the harbor with your grandkids coming in to get Julie. We stayed fairly close just north within 1/2-3/4 mile of the dike. I dragged a flait as well but didn't catch anything. But it was nice seeing you in passing and nice reading your report.
(08-30-2021, 08:52 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Nicely done...good story and pics...

Thanks for the kind words

(08-31-2021, 01:23 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Did Julie tell you I said hi. Devon and I were out there having fun for a while as well trying out my new trolling motor finally. We passed you at the mouth of the harbor with your grandkids coming in to get Julie. We stayed fairly close just north within 1/2-3/4 mile of the dike. I dragged a flait as well but didn't catch anything. But it was nice seeing you in passing and nice reading your report.

Yes, she said she was starting to worry about that guy who pulled up next to her and then youi came over and told her that you knew me and wanted to say hi!

I'm glad you were able to get out there. How did the trolling motor work out?
The trolling motor worked great. It has remote control for it and it's very responsive. Much easier to control than the foot pedal it but it has a foot pedal as well as back up. But I'll try to keep batteries in remote going so it's always working.
(08-31-2021, 03:09 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: The trolling motor worked great. It has remote control for it and it's very responsive. Much easier to control than the foot pedal it but it has a foot pedal as well as back up. But I'll try to keep batteries in remote going so it's always working.

That is great! Mine has a remote, but no foot pedal. I was about to buy a spare remote when I learned that I could get a free app to control it with my phone! The app works well, but doesn't have all the cute features the remote has.