Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum E-Coli bloom
Just read this on KSL website.
The E-coli levels at Hyrum are well above the danger level.
Boating can cause the algae to become airborne and then can be inhaled by others.
(09-02-2021, 08:57 PM)R72Mike Wrote: Just read this on KSL website.
The E-coli levels at Hyrum are well above the danger level.
Boating can cause the algae to become airborne and then can be inhaled by others.

Welcome to the site and thanks for the info on Hyrum.
I also extend a welcome to the site. Look forward to reading about your adventures
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
This seemed sort of crazy to me, I was at Hyrum a couple times recently and didn't see any algae floating around... Lots of wind daily stirring the surface of Hyrum too... So it really makes me wonder if the test was accurate... Water surface temperatures were warm like I think 75 degree range if I remember correctly, but down to 59 degrees within about 4-5 feet... Would be nice if it shutdown the power squadron though... Well get past this weekend and hopefully that pond will be a whole lot less popular... Then i'd love to return... Later J
PS... Welcome to the site...
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(09-03-2021, 12:40 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: This seemed sort of crazy to me, I was at Hyrum a couple times recently and didn't see any algae floating around... Lots of wind daily stirring the surface of Hyrum too... So it really makes me wonder if the test was accurate... Water surface temperatures were warm like I think 75 degree range if I remember correctly, but down to 59 degrees within about 4-5 feet... Would be nice if it shutdown the power squadron though... Well get past this weekend and hopefully that pond will be a whole lot less popular... Then i'd love to return... Later J
 well, e coli is a bacteria, not an algae.  e coli is not visible.  I am not sure of any relationship to algae blooms other than that the water and conditions that supports one likely supports the other.
(09-03-2021, 10:23 PM)smokepoles Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 12:40 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: This seemed sort of crazy to me, I was at Hyrum a couple times recently and didn't see any algae floating around... Lots of wind daily stirring the surface of Hyrum too... So it really makes me wonder if the test was accurate... Water surface temperatures were warm like I think 75 degree range if I remember correctly, but down to 59 degrees within about 4-5 feet... Would be nice if it shutdown the power squadron though... Well get past this weekend and hopefully that pond will be a whole lot less popular... Then i'd love to return... Later J
 well, e coli is a bacteria, not an algae.  e coli is not visible.  I am not sure of any relationship to algae blooms other than that the water and conditions that supports one likely supports the other.

Update September 3, 2021 (Waterborne Pathogens)
The Warning Advisory for Waterborne Pathogens at Hyrum Reservoir has been lifted by the Bear River Health Department.
On August 31st, the DWQ monitoring team visited Hyrum Reservoir. Samples from the day use area contained E. coli levels of 123.6 MPN/100 mL which is below the UDWQ/UDOH recommended Warning Advisory threshold of 235 MPN.

Again, E. coki is a waterborne pathogen of fecal (human or animal) origin.  Hyrum has been clear for cyanotixins that come from algea this summer,
(09-05-2021, 03:21 PM)smokepoles Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 10:23 PM)smokepoles Wrote:

Update September 3, 2021 (Waterborne Pathogens)
The Warning Advisory for Waterborne Pathogens at Hyrum Reservoir has been lifted by the Bear River Health Department.
On August 31st, the DWQ monitoring team visited Hyrum Reservoir. Samples from the day use area contained E. coli levels of 123.6 MPN/100 mL which is below the UDWQ/UDOH recommended Warning Advisory threshold of 235 MPN.

Again, E. coki is a waterborne pathogen of fecal (human or animal) origin.  Hyrum has been clear for cyanotixins that come from algea this summer,

Awesome, thanks for the update.

(09-03-2021, 11:37 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I also extend a welcome to the site. Look forward to reading about your adventures

Thanks love watching your videos and reading your reports.
I thought they were mixing both algae and e-coli in the same story, so now that makes more sense than the KSL story did, thanks for the clarification... and glad the water quality has improved... just watch out for those floating baby ruths when your fishing... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!