Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help catching Kokanee from the shore
Need some advice on how to catch Kokanee from the shore at Strawberry . What type of lures or bait are best .
Shore fishing is a longshot for kokanee since they are usually pretty deep. It's virtually impossible to cast and get your lure down 40 feet. I'm guessing that maybe someone has caught a kokanee from shore once but I've personally never seen it. Perhaps in the off season when they aren't so deep you might get lucky casting a shiny lure but I think it's likely you could take 1000 casts and never catch one form shore. If someone has caught a kokanee from shore I'd like to know about it. I'd suggest focusing on other species from shore and find a friend with a boat for kokanee. Just my $.02 (Unless you are referring to the red spawners that can be seen in the shallows this time of year which I have never targeted so I can't help you on those)
Maybe you should think about kokanees threw the ice. That's possible but difficult.
It can be done but not easy. Go to Porcupine. You have access to some deeper water from the shore in a few places - most of the rest of the lakes with kokes don't have shore access with that kind of quick depth in cast range - someone on here can likely prove me wrong on that like off the cliffs at the Gorge.  Take a castable sonar unit and check for marks or you will spend a lot of time exercising your arm for nothing. Then expect the marks to be Rainbows cause they mostly likely will be. Once you find them, antagonize them with metal bling and hope you can tick one off before they move off. Expect to catch nothing as this is most likely, but the smaller ones in porky will sometimes oblige. It should be noted that with extremely low water levels this year, these spots may be crap. Can it be done - yes. I did it a few times while going to school at USU. Have not played the game for many years, so my offering is very dated - liked me. When I did it, no castable sonar so I exercised my arm alot in empty water. As a full time bank tangler these days, I would prefer to buy a ride on someone's boat for my koke fix Smile

I should add check the rules before ya go. Since I don't chase kokes often, I am not sure what they are in the fall during spawn

Your question was specifically about Strawberry - my answer - target cuts
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-05-2021, 04:41 AM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: Shore fishing is a longshot for kokanee since they are usually pretty deep. It's virtually impossible to cast and get your lure down 40 feet. I'm guessing that maybe someone has caught a kokanee from shore once but I've personally never seen it. Perhaps in the off season when they aren't so deep you might get lucky casting a shiny lure but I think it's likely you could take 1000 casts and never catch one form shore. If someone has caught a kokanee from shore I'd like to know about it. I'd suggest focusing on other species from shore and find a friend with a boat for kokanee. Just my $.02 (Unless you are referring to the red spawners that can be seen in the shallows this time of year which I have never targeted so I can't help you on those)
I am strictly catch and release and don't want to target the spawners . I definitely need to get another boat . Thanks for the info !