Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wayne's Words/ Powell
It has now been a month since Wayne's last Fishing Report at Powell. He said he would try to keep up with his weekly posts after he retired, and he did post several of them after that date. But nothing since August 11th. At that time, the boat ramps at Powell were nearly out of the water, so that may be the reason for the lack of his reports. I hope that's it, and not that he's just too old and tired to keep up with the work it takes to do such posting.

His website is still the most useful and authoritative site for anything to do with Powell. I know we all hope it continues.
Yeah, I noticed the same thing when I jump on his site last week...not a lot of anything going on there, eerily quiet. I owe a lot of very successful Powel trips to Wayne and his website over the last 20 yrs! I'd say he's earned some time off, maybe some other young DWR buck could take it over for him.
Same here.

Lots of very successful trips directly related to his forecasts, reports and info.

Fun little story here...

We had enjoyed a couple years in a row of excellent fishing around the dam a few years back at Lake Powell, following Waynes forecasts and advice. We enjoyed it so much that when January of the following year came around, we went out to his website, asked a few questions and got his response..."...that due to the excellent overall biology that Lake Powell is currently experiencing...the striper fishing near the dam will be difficult at best...there will still be plenty of good fishing, but you will need to search out and earn most of the fish you catch this spring..."
(I'm paraphrasing, but basically that is what he said).

Well...we were not willing to accept that, since we wanted to badly to go and enjoy another awesome (read: EASY) spring fishing trip...so we decided that perhaps he might be wrong that year. So, we went in April as we always did. Long story short...4 fishermen, 4 days of fishing...ONE striper caught. We decided after that Wayne knew what he was talking about ALWAYS after that and read his reports diligently....and only went when he said it was going to be good and never had another bad year!

We still laugh about that year. Wasn't funny at the time. But it was a good lesson.

I for one hope he keeps on posting!!
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
My understanding is he’s traveling.
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!