Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low water conditions in your area?
Are any of you getting any pics of the low water conditions at the lakes you are fishing this year? I want to do a contest were members post pics of the most interesting things they have seen this year, like things that are now exposed that you either did not know were there or had not seen in many years or just a pic of how far down the water is at a lake is in your area.. Come on folks, even if you aren't fishing you could drive to a lake in your area and takes some pics of the low water conditions. past winners can not win again but it would still be nice to see some pics. Winner will receive a BFT T shirt. Anyone interested?
Yep.

[Image: KIMG0127.jpg]
I havent been there, but, I see F&G just issued a salvage operation on Foster Reservoir down near Preston.  That place can have some awesome fishing. A lot of the planters over the years actually come from Glendale through the overflow pipes into Foster believe it or not. I know several years ago there was another salvage order on Foster and it was just getting back up to holding some very nice bass, gills and crappie. I dont fish it due to boating restrictions, I just know  Ive stopped by there a couple times and some nice fish were taken out of there.

Glendale is also low low low and closed to boats but float tubes etc can still get on if you walk down the ramp. And with water this low, some of the best fishing can be had there when water is this low if you can get on it.

Thats all I know of so hope there is some places where minimum pool restrictions save them for years to come.
Dam, lots of fish salvage on a lot of reservoirs this year.
(09-12-2021, 01:04 PM)duksnfish Wrote:

(09-12-2021, 01:04 PM)duksnfish Wrote: I havent been there, but, I see F&G just issued a salvage operation on Foster Reservoir down near Preston.  That place can have some awesome fishing. A lot of the planters over the years actually come from Glendale through the overflow pipes into Foster believe it or not. I know several years ago there was another salvage order on Foster and it was just getting back up to holding some very nice bass, gills and crappie. I dont fish it due to boating restrictions, I just know  Ive stopped by there a couple times and some nice fish were taken out of there.

Glendale is also low low low and closed to boats but float tubes etc can still get on if you walk down the ramp. And with water this low, some of the best fishing can be had there when water is this low if you can get on it.

Thats all I know of so hope there is some places where minimum pool restrictions save them for years to come.

I can’t find anything about Foster, but I did find an article about Johnson being on salvage order. That sucks, there were some huge bass in there.
(09-13-2021, 04:20 AM)gstott Wrote:

I can’t find anything about Foster, but I did find an article about Johnson being on salvage order. That sucks, there were some huge bass in there.
I got that information on Foster from a news report on East Idaho News, but now I cant find the article Sad I did find one from Fish n Game on Johnson Reservoir - https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/fish-salvag...ar-preston

I'll keep looking because when I saw it on Foster, I read and re-read the article trying to figure out what was going on, but, in some ways, it doesnt surprise me Foster is low because it gets it's water from Glendale and the information I have gotten on it, it's about as low as it can get due to a pool reserve on the water and its getting below the drain system on Glendale so no more water can get out except what little is coming in. So, for now, I'm bad Sad lol. But I swear I read it on the East Idaho News site.
(09-13-2021, 11:00 AM)duksnfish Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 04:20 AM)gstott Wrote:

I got that information on Foster from a news report on East Idaho News, but now I cant find the article Sad I did find one from Fish n Game on Johnson Reservoir - https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/fish-salvag...ar-preston

I'll keep looking because when I saw it on Foster, I read and re-read the article trying to figure out what was going on, but, in some ways, it doesnt surprise me Foster is low because it gets it's water from Glendale and the information I have gotten on it, it's about as low as it can get due to a pool reserve on the water and its getting below the drain system on Glendale so no more water can get out except what little is coming in. So, for now, I'm bad Sad lol. But I swear I read it on the East Idaho News site.
Hopefully they made a mistake and meant to say Johnson. At this rate there’s not going to be anything left to fish in the area.
Not gonna be much left to fish in the southern part of the state, lots of reservoirs ran way low this summer.
meancuznalfyNot gonna be much left to fish in the southern part of the state, lots of reservoirs ran way low this summer.

yeah it’s pretty bad this year. Plenty of lakes and water where I am now in coastal Washington, but also plenty of criminals, homeless camps and tweakers. Really hoping to get back to Cache, it’s so much safer and cleaner. Just looks like I’ll be spending more time fly fishing creeks for trout and hitting Oneida for smallies and walleye. It really sucks that my three best quality largemouth fisheries have salvage orders.
Yea, it's been a rough summer. Too bad about not being able to get out in Washington, that's some pretty country out there. Hopefully you can get back this way soon, I like the area around Preston too.
(09-14-2021, 01:03 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Yea, it's been a rough summer. Too bad about not being able to get out in Washington, that's some pretty country out there. Hopefully you can get back this way soon, I like the area around Preston too.

Yeah it’s kind of heartbreaking to see such a beautiful place as coastal Washington get trashed. It has such potential, and there’s a huge variety of fishing opportunities, but it just isn’t what it used to be. Lots of trash everywhere, poaching is rampant, they allow commercial fishermen to net the mouths of salmon spawning creeks, but then they try to kill off the bass because somehow they’re to blame for the salmon tanking, not the dams, nets, poor habitat and out of control sea lion populations. The whole state is just a train wreck, and it keeps getting worse. The droughts are frustrating in Idaho, but it’s better than the mess here.
Add Condie and Winder to the list of waters that won't make it through this fall.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/fish-salvag...reservoirs
(09-14-2021, 08:04 PM)fish_digger Wrote: Add Condie and Winder to the list of waters that won't make it through this fall.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/fish-salvag...reservoirs

I think part of it is the new director. When Condie got low last time, I asked the previous director if there would be a salvage. He said he found that the fish did better than expected with the low water and that he feels it’s better to leave it alone. Condie did bounce back, I was catching 3  pounders the next summer. I actually emailed the new director about all this, but he’s out of the office until Friday. Hopefully he has some good info.
The quality of Bass in Condie has gone way down the last few years. First the fish got skinny and then there was nothing of real size. Maybe a reboot there is a good thing.

Winder water levels the last few years has affected the fishing, we just need more water.
(09-15-2021, 03:27 AM)AlexB Wrote: The quality of Bass in Condie has gone way down the last few years. First the fish got skinny and then there was nothing of real size. Maybe a reboot there is a good thing.

Winder water levels the last few years has affected the fishing, we just need more water.

Agreed. Yeah Winder was beginning to go down hill when I moved away a few years ago and I’d heard it’s been hit hard since. Johnson was awesome when I still lived there. That one hurts the most. I had probably the best day of fishing I’ve ever had in my life there about five years ago nearly to the day. 112 bass, best five would have been over 25lbs easy.
Dam, anyone know how many lakes that have been drawn down to unusable this summer?
American Falls is really low now.

[Image: KIMG0230.jpg]
And I am visiting my mom in Illinois and at least in north central to north Illinois, there is more water than they've had in a long time, like 3 years ago, lol. It has put a real cabosh to the duck hunting season as high as the water has gotten in many areas, and I would think, having grown up here, that most of the fishing on the typical areas as far as streams and rivers goes, really got put to an end. And many many ponds Ive seen along the interstate here where there is a ton of fishing normally, are full to the brim. So, I just hope that we get some snow pack and rain lower elevations over the next 6-7 months to help us out a ton Smile
Yea, I've seen on other forums that there seems to be plenty of water out that way, definitely going to need lots of snow and rain for us to catch back up, I see PalaSades is down to 5% capacity now, lots of places need lot of water.